• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham - 140 ways of spelling its name

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Here are 140 ways of spelling the name 'Birmingham' over time (listed in 1856). Viv.

560791fc-f8e1-552e.jpg

If every word had that many ways of spelling, I would never have had the whack at school. Its not so much the spelling but the pronounciation that gets me. The number of people who say Birningham with a n instead of m is remarkable.

Ofishal word speling chump.

Beamish its one of my pet hates Birminam. I am amazed how many TV people pronounce it that way especially ones of Irish origin.

Beamish its one of my pet hates Birminam. I am amazed how many TV people pronounce it that way especially ones of Irish origin.

I've always found the pronunciation of "Birminam" prevalent amongst those from the South

Suzanne

Maybe we should spell it phonetically to stop all that 'n' milarky i.e. BURMINGHAM as per #125. Although thinking about it people more often use the word 'burn' than 'birm' so they'd probably still automatically lapse into BIRNIGHAM. Viv.

Back