• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birds Custard Factory.

The stone used looks like that used for Moseley Swimming baths, built just after 1900.

But it is not those baths.

Birds Custard building.
I knew you were in Digbeth yesterday so I had a look on Google street view :D

Sorry mate couldn't help myself. The many times I've walked past that place, never noticed that.

The stone used looks like that used for Moseley Swimming baths, built just after 1900.

But it is not those baths.
It looks like terracotta to me. A significant amount of it was made in Polswoth, near Tamworth. The Albert Hall was made these.

Very nice decoration. Ships too, reminder of how far reaching Birmingham was for a land-locked area. Viv.

Very nice decoration. Ships too, reminder of how far reaching Birmingham was for a land-locked area. Viv.

This was quickly solved, unlike one or two other pictures.
Don't forget the 'Birmingham Navy' which can be seen in many marinas around the English coast. :laughing:

My Dad worked at Birds from early 1950's until he retired. When the factory moved to Banbury, Oxfordshire, the whole family moved down here. Still lots of brummie accents to be heard around the town, factory has changed ownership a few times over the years and is now Kraft Foods.

Hi I am trying to locate Kenneth Poole who worked at the factory, may have been a manager< in the 1950's is there any chance someone in the family remembers him or know where he is. He is due to be 100 years old this year and his family want to find him. Thanks Laurence

Here is another method used to promote Bird's Custard Powder: prize certificates awarded to young ladies at cookery competitions held at local exhibitions and fairs. Something meant to be kept and treasured, and to remind the young lady of the product as she grew in maturity and family responsibility.

Cookery vs.jpg

This one was awarded at the Exhibition in nearby Kidderminster in August 1898. The girl's mother was born and grew up in Birmingham.

Last edited:
I loved working at the Custard Factory although it was after the custard powder itself had ceased to be made there. I worked at an advertising agency for some which was based in the old offices.
What I really enjoyed though were the flea markets which were held there about 4 times a year, after the offices had all emptied. However the powers that be decided they wanted to be more upmarket and so they were no longer held. We still take a walk down there occasionally but the nice atmosphere has gone.

I am dubious if it is original. I cannot see the white enamel on the top two ho;es being pristine if it were

Back