• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birds Custard Factory.

Hi welcome Steve I hope we get some more info on this thread!

A little background summary on the history of the Birds business for you:

1837 - Albert Bird invented the custard powder. Started off in a shop in Bell Street near the Bull Ring. Alfred Bird was registered as a pharmacist in Birmingham, having served an apprenticeship to Phillip Harris of Birmingham. He was a qualified chemist and druggist
1852 - 1856 - He also invented baking powder, the yeastless raising agent which enabled British troops to eat fresh bread during the Crimean War
1870s - Bird's Blancmange Powder was introduced
1875 - Advertising started around this time and Bird's Custard quickly became renowned as a wholesome and nutritious food. They were the first business to use calendars as an advertising tool
1895- Bird's Jelly Crystal Powder introduced
1902- The Devonshire Works was built, situated in Digbeth. The red-brick and terracotta building was built by Alfred Bird Junior as a custard factory on 5 acres. At its peak over one thousand people would work there
1920s - The tri-colour red, yellow and blue Birds trademark was created for marketing campaigns
1947 - The brand was acquired by General Foods
1963 - Birds Custard moved to Banbury
1989 - US food giant Kraft bought the brand

Viv.

See my photos earlier in the thread.

Some I've not posted here before

A painting of a ship

Devonshire House - Custard Factory - Sailing ship by ell brown, on Flickr

Devonshire House - Custard Factory - Sailing ship by ell brown, on Flickr

1837 - 1902

Devonshire House - Custard Factory - 1837 - 1902 by ell brown, on Flickr

Devonshire Works

Alfred Bird & Sons Limited

Devonshire House - Custard Factory by ell brown, on Flickr

One of the windows with it's modern use as Zellig

Custard Factory - Zellig - window by ell brown, on Flickr

It's so good to see all those decorative features still intact Ell. The building looks in good shape too. Thanks for posting your photos. Viv

They finished restoring it last year.

Was under scaffolding in 2009.

At the bottom near the doors, I used to see graffiti (assume most has been cleaned up).

The old letter box survives.

The Bird's seem to have known a thing or two about marketing their products. Here's an ad from 1889. They also gave free gifts with their products such as playing cards, jelly glasses and calendars, all ahead of their time. Now who's for a bowl of banana and custard? Hot or cold, don't mind it either way! Yum ...... Viv

Bird_s_Custard_advert_1889.JPG

Viv

Alfred Bird also invented an oil lamp - one that could be re-filled whilst still alight (would not like to try that though), it cost one shilling. They also made lemonade, but not sure at what date.

'Early to bed, early to rise, stick to your work and advertise' was his motto.

Shortie

Think I'd give the lamp a miss too Shortie. Sounds a bit dodgy to me - like literally 'playing with fire'!

It'd be interesting to see the old pictures or photos of the Bird's factory which were posted on this thread, as I can't remember them. The Devonshire House part that remains must only be a small part of the original factory site. Viv.

PS tried the Francis Firth link but can't find the factory.

Last edited:
I didn't know that there was a new plaque for Alfred Bird. If I've got my camera near Devonshire House I may take a pic of it, although I have no plans to go past there at the moment.

See the blue plaque for yourself – it’s just above the door of the Urban Village vintage store.

Viv
The chimney was stated to be in Warwick St, so it wasn't the same site as Devonshire house, but on hte opposite side of deritend. as i undertsand it the custard , blancmange etc were made on the Devonshire house site, and it was the admin block also, but the coffee was made at the other site. This may be because they didn't have enough space on the main site, or possibly to reduce contamination of the more delicate flavours of the custard with coffee. The reason I suggest this is that i understand that at one time the Somerdale (Frys/Cadbury) factory made pepperminmt products in one building so as to reduce the chance of contaminating other products with peppermint

Went round this morning and got some new pics of the Custard Factory.

View from Moores Row / Floodgate Street

Custard Factory - Devonshire Works - door - AS1 - Brew or Die by ell brown, on Flickr

Original letterbox - now cleaned up of graffiti / vandalism (but was still graffiti on the big doors to the left of it on High Street Deritend)

Custard Factory - High Street Deritend - Alfred Bird & Sons Ltd - letterbox by ell brown, on Flickr

My photo of the blue plaque on Gibb Street above Urban Village

Custard Factory - Gibb Street - blue plaque - Alfred Bird by ell brown, on Flickr

I much prefer the advertisement for Birds Custard Powder in the previous post (#76) for 1920. It is concise, clever and delivers the message clearly. An advertisement for 1897, below, seems over-indulgent in every way. Dave.

P1020325 (2).jpg

The stone used looks like that used for Moseley Swimming baths, built just after 1900.

But it is not those baths.

Birds Custard building.
I knew you were in Digbeth yesterday so I had a look on Google street view :D

Sorry mate couldn't help myself. The many times I've walked past that place, never noticed that.

The stone used looks like that used for Moseley Swimming baths, built just after 1900.

But it is not those baths.
It looks like terracotta to me. A significant amount of it was made in Polswoth, near Tamworth. The Albert Hall was made these.

Very nice decoration. Ships too, reminder of how far reaching Birmingham was for a land-locked area. Viv.

Very nice decoration. Ships too, reminder of how far reaching Birmingham was for a land-locked area. Viv.

This was quickly solved, unlike one or two other pictures.
Don't forget the 'Birmingham Navy' which can be seen in many marinas around the English coast. :laughing:

Back