• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

Hi Larry
I am in the production Pirates 1962. (see pic 23rd sept 2020) I played the Major general ..centre in the dressing gown & yellow night cap. I had a look at the programme & you are not listed. Are you looking at a different picture ? or.... a different Pirate production. I do not know if you remember me. I had the nickname The Beak due to my largish nose. I was in the same year as Ross Muller, Alan Evans, David Spencer & Chris Burke.
Regards Graham

Hi Larry
I am in the production Pirates 1962. (see pic 23rd sept 2020) I played the Major general ..centre in the dressing gown & yellow night cap. I had a look at the programme & you are not listed. Are you looking at a different picture ? or.... a different Pirate production. I do not know if you remember me. I had the nickname The Beak due to my largish nose. I was in the same year as Ross Muller, Alan Evans, David Spencer & Chris Burke.
Regards Graham
sorry Graham the class of 1962/63 from the left 2 down 4 across

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

Hello everyone,
It seems as though Birchfield has an unfair reputation. I was there from 1961-1964, and actually loved that school. I played on the football, rugby, and cricket teams, as well as loved playing badminton at lunch times in the hall. I remember so many things that have stayed with me throughout my life, can anyone remember the huge banner that stretched across the science class? It said, "Never be content with less than a neat and orderly record of work" It's odd the things you remember, like Mr. Williams who could sure give the cane, and also Mr. Hobunguana who used a size 14 trainer across the bum. I have several pictures from Birchfield that I will attempt to post.

Reg LongmoreView attachment 101482
I am from the left 2 down and 4 across are you in that picture ??

I went to Birchfield bug house from 1958-1962 is there anyone else who attended around that time.
Just found the Birchfield school on the Birmingham History Forum. I attended this school from 1956 to 1961, approximately. Having previously attended Yewtree junior and infant school.
Birchfield‘s headmaster I recall was Mr. Whittaker, his daily mantra of “Leave other people and other peoples property alone,“ has stayed with me to this day. I also recall Mr, Brassington, deputy head, Mr. Taylor, RE, and war stories. Messers Hunt, Williams, Griffiths. Mr. Hillkirk, my 3rd year form master, was a young teacher from Barnsley, held in high esteem.
Mr. Williams wrote in my leaving book, “To make friends, you have to be a friend,“ This has been my philosophy through life and has served me well. I am now 76, and recall days at Birchfield with great affection. Classmates that I can remember included, Kevin Greaney, Ronnie Thynne, Keith Mansfield, Malcolm Perry, Fred Holland, Trevor Csete.
I have forgotten what I did last week and last month but the memories of school are as clear and vivid as yesterday. My name at school was ”Chunky” otherwise known as Alf Charles. I lived in Witton, near Villa Park and the Tram Sheds. I now live near Sheffield in the beauty of South Yorkshire. life’s been good to us, built on the foundations of our time at Birchfield. I think the most important thing I learnt there, was I was taught how to learn.
Regards Alf Charles.

What a nice first post - welcome to the Forum.
I was at Birchfield Road Juniors and have good memories from the school, as you say - I can also recall some things better from that era than what I did last week!!

What a nice first post - welcome to the Forum.
I was at Birchfield Road Juniors and have good memories from the school, as you say - I can also recall some things better from that era than what I did last week!!
Thank you for your repl, it’s good to know I am not on my own memory wise. have a great day stay safe. Alf

Just found the Birchfield school on the Birmingham History Forum. I attended this school from 1956 to 1961, approximately. Having previously attended Yewtree junior and infant school.
Birchfield‘s headmaster I recall was Mr. Whittaker, his daily mantra of “Leave other people and other peoples property alone,“ has stayed with me to this day. I also recall Mr, Brassington, deputy head, Mr. Taylor, RE, and war stories. Messers Hunt, Williams, Griffiths. Mr. Hillkirk, my 3rd year form master, was a young teacher from Barnsley, held in high esteem.
Mr. Williams wrote in my leaving book, “To make friends, you have to be a friend,“ This has been my philosophy through life and has served me well. I am now 76, and recall days at Birchfield with great affection. Classmates that I can remember included, Kevin Greaney, Ronnie Thynne, Keith Mansfield, Malcolm Perry, Fred Holland, Trevor Csete.
I have forgotten what I did last week and last month but the memories of school are as clear and vivid as yesterday. My name at school was ”Chunky” otherwise known as Alf Charles. I lived in Witton, near Villa Park and the Tram Sheds. I now live near Sheffield in the beauty of South Yorkshire. life’s been good to us, built on the foundations of our time at Birchfield. I think the most important thing I learnt there, was I was taught how to learn.
Regards Alf Charles.
I’m Geoff Sutton (Satch)I lived in Holte Road. I started school at Station Road Infants, went to Yewtree Road Junior School then went to Birchfield Road SM 1958 to 1962. I played for the Rugby team at scrum half, with mates Harry Ensor and John Colomb. In the team I remember John Pratt, Derick Aimes....... I was wood work monitor in my last year. I consider I was not stretched enough in my education. I went on to run my own business with tens of empoyees till I retired. Over all good days.

Regards Alf Charles.
lovely post alf...nice to read of posative memories of school days...there is plenty to read about witton on the forum so enjoy

lyn

Hi Jean
I remember you too. Lorraine and I were good friends, still are although I haven’t spoke to her for some time. We use to knock about together also with Cherlyn Bowen and Adrian Bowen.
Hope you are OK.

Geoff

I’m Geoff Sutton (Satch)I lived in Holte Road. I started school at Station Road Infants, went to Yewtree Road Junior School then went to Birchfield Road SM 1958 to 1962. I played for the Rugby team at scrum half, with mates Harry Ensor and John Colomb. In the team I remember John Pratt, Derick Aimes....... I was wood work monitor in my last year. I consider I was not stretched enough in my education. I went on to run my own business with tens of empoyees till I retired. Over all good days.
Hello Geoff,
Thanks for your reply. I must have been two years ahead of you, and unfortunately cannot recall our paths crossing, But they must have, even possibly waiting to catch the number 11 bus from Witton circle to Perry Barr. Cost to schoolchildren 1d. I seem to recall a newsagents by the bus stop, and a radio and television shop, called “Jolly’s”. You may have known my brothers, Robert and David.
Regards. Alf

I am a ex Upper Thomas Street senior boys lad myself, but did have a few friends who attended Birchfield senior boys, Arnie Morris, Robert and Jeff Gouldingay, Alan Pinkerton, David and Desmond Douglas, Robert Everill, all lived within a few minutes of UTS, could never understand why they didn't go there instead of Birchfield, I was told it because we were a bunch of rough nutters, we were no worst than any other school, we was a good school for sport..

Thanks for your reply. The only guy I knew from your area was Trevor Csete. He lived on Victoria road.
Best wishes
Alf.

Mr. Taylor? Wasn't that the mouthy stout man with two chins, and a cane with .303 cartridge cases on the ends! (Fancied himself as a 'Pocket' RSM Brittain I think). My first teacher at Birchfield was Mr. Roberts. Sadistic caner, who used the cane backwards, leaving a 'hook' mark on the backside. Still he managed to get me moved up to the first stream from the third, in 12 months, so he must have been a reasonably competent teacher. I left there in 1951 to go 'home' to Perry Beeches.

John

Hello John, thanks for your reply. Mr. Taylor was exactly as you described him. I cannot remember the shell casings on his can, but I do remember the enormous plimsoll he also used to inflect pain. A bit of a sadist, in fact come to think of it most of the staff were. I suspect it was so recent after the war they used the pupils to vent their frustration on. I also remember Mr. Roberts and Mr Griffith, they both gave me a love of working with wood. Do you recall being called to watch a demonstration, “form class 1, form class 2,” and woe betide anyone that was not ready when they were. I also started in the third stream, and progressed to the first, and stayed on for the extra year for the UEI, exams. After that I did two years evenings and day release at Brooklyn tec. Happy days, and there were girls at Brooklyn. Even more happy days. I have been trying since starting these post to think of the science teachers name at Birchfield and it’s just come to me “Mr. Wall.“ Great guy, loved his classes.
Great to reminisce with you, stay safe. Alf Charles

Hi my name is Ray Cope found this site about 12 months ago, I attended BRSM from 1957 to 1961, classes were 1/3, 2/2, 3/2, 4/3. main teacher through the years was MR. Williams ,I got on well with him over the years, mainly I think because I was good at most things to do with sport. He was a member at Birchfield Harriers over the road from the school. Foot ball, cricket, a bit of rugby, well hardly any really, any gym work, athletics, and the last year I was the swimming captain for the school. They were the things that were most prominent on my school report! good hey. The one good thing that came out of the athletics was that I was selected to run the mile at Birchfield Harriers and represent the school in my final year, I remember someone drawing the school badge on my white shorts, Mr Williams gave me a pair of spikes to wear, they where 2 sizes to big! I fell over at the start of the race, but managed to finish third. Well pleased was Mr W. I got a big round of applause the following day at assembly, another guy who won his race was spud taylor a powerfully built black lad, he won easily the 100 yards, (as it was then). sadly I heard a few years later that he died in a fight (cant go into details). One day all the school was called to assemble in the schoolyard I don't recall why, but f"""y Taylor (teacher) addressed the classes he was fuming he shouted, WE CAN FLOG YOU WITH THIS, and smashed a cosh like object on the wall at the top of the small steps to the metal work room several times, he then let rip, wish I could remember what he said I was probably, well you can guess. I remember 2 lads playing guitars in the school hall when the music teacher Mr Lowe was there, he was playing the piano, I often wonderd who the two lads were, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler? At the end of the school year,1961 there were a few scores to be settled by a few people. one or two got a right pasting. Many faces I can still see, names? no chance. All the Best, Ray Cope, who????
Hi Ray, I am a TV Producer. Did you go to school with Ozzy? I am trying to reach out to anyone that might remember him from his school days? Any help would be much appreciated. [email protected]. Thank you. Anabel

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

Brass band would have been started after you left and was formed by Mr Taylor who also gave me my lifelong interest in music.  Not surprised you do not remember the pupils as we came to the school just about the time you left.  Memory prompted by your post I do remember Mr Roberts and Grifiths plying their craft at each end of the single story building in the rear playground.  Also Mr Hall in the science room top floor turn left at the top of the stairs. Do remember Tony Iommi (his friend was Pete Adams) and 'Ozzie' Osborne who ain't changed much from them days.  Registered on Friends reunited but not many of those I went to school with are on that site.
Hi, I am a TV Producer looking to get in touch with anyone that went to school with Ozzy back in the day. Would you be open to a chat? You might be able to help me with my research. My email is [email protected] / 07746517874. Thank you. Anabel

good luck with your research anabel...i would imagine that you already know that ozzys childhood house in aston is still there

lyn

Thank you ever so much Lyn. I am trying to pull together a list of places in Birmingham that have meaning to Ozzy. The house is one. Do you know how I can get in touch with someone about arranging a visit? Do you have any other suggestions of locations that would be significant to telling his life story... e.g. the record shop...

Thank you ever so much Lyn. I am trying to pull together a list of places in Birmingham that have meaning to Ozzy. The house is one. Do you know how I can get in touch with someone about arranging a visit? Do you have any other suggestions of locations that would be significant to telling his life story... e.g. the record shop...
if you mean about arranging a visit to ozzys old house then sorry anabel other than actually knocking on the door and asking whoever lives there now..the only thing i can suggest is reading this thread from post 1 as some members may have posted something of interest..could even be class photo with ozzy on it...either way its worth trawling through this thread..i believe ozzy played some gigs at the bartons arms pub aston

lyn

Hi my name is Ray Cope found this site about 12 months ago, I attended BRSM from 1957 to 1961, classes were 1/3, 2/2, 3/2, 4/3. main teacher through the years was MR. Williams ,I got on well with him over the years, mainly I think because I was good at most things to do with sport. He was a member at Birchfield Harriers over the road from the school. Foot ball, cricket, a bit of rugby, well hardly any really, any gym work, athletics, and the last year I was the swimming captain for the school. They were the things that were most prominent on my school report! good hey. The one good thing that came out of the athletics was that I was selected to run the mile at Birchfield Harriers and represent the school in my final year, I remember someone drawing the school badge on my white shorts, Mr Williams gave me a pair of spikes to wear, they where 2 sizes to big! I fell over at the start of the race, but managed to finish third. Well pleased was Mr W. I got a big round of applause the following day at assembly, another guy who won his race was spud taylor a powerfully built black lad, he won easily the 100 yards, (as it was then). sadly I heard a few years later that he died in a fight (cant go into details). One day all the school was called to assemble in the schoolyard I don't recall why, but f"""y Taylor (teacher) addressed the classes he was fuming he shouted, WE CAN FLOG YOU WITH THIS, and smashed a cosh like object on the wall at the top of the small steps to the metal work room several times, he then let rip, wish I could remember what he said I was probably, well you can guess. I remember 2 lads playing guitars in the school hall when the music teacher Mr Lowe was there, he was playing the piano, I often wonderd who the two lads were, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler? At the end of the school year,1961 there were a few scores to be settled by a few people. one or two got a right pasting. Many faces I can still see, names? no chance. All the Best, Ray Cope, who????
Hello, Ray, We must have been at school together, I would have been a grade down from you, Although I cannot recall you, I do however recall the young coloured lad “Taylor.“;He was one of the first two in the school, the other was Leo Henry, I have often wondered if he was a relative of Lenny Henry the Actor and comedian. I also recall the school yard assemble taken by Mr. Taylor, RE teacher. What it was about I had no idea but I can remember he was fuming and so red in the face.
Whilst I was there the Coronation block was two separate classrooms the first was Mr. Williams (art) the second was Mr. Hunt (technical Drawing and maths,)
I stayed on to complete the 5th year exams, I think I learnt more in the last 12 months than I had in the preceding years, the difference being I want to be there. Happy days? Some were, others have become clouded in the years. Fortunately we tend to only remember the good ones. All the best, stay safe. Chunky, Alf. C

Hello, Ray, We must have been at school together, I would have been a grade down from you, Although I cannot recall you, I do however recall the young coloured lad “Taylor.“;He was one of the first two in the school, the other was Leo Henry, I have often wondered if he was a relative of Lenny Henry the Actor and comedian. I also recall the school yard assemble taken by Mr. Taylor, RE teacher. What it was about I had no idea but I can remember he was fuming and so red in the face.
Whilst I was there the Coronation block was two separate classrooms the first was Mr. Williams (art) the second was Mr. Hunt (technical Drawing and maths,)
I stayed on to complete the 5th year exams, I think I learnt more in the last 12 months than I had in the preceding years, the difference being I want to be there. Happy days? Some were, others have become clouded in the years. Fortunately we tend to only remember the good ones. All the best, stay safe. Chunky, Alf. C
Hi my name is Ken( just joined the site having looked at it many times in the past) I went to Birchfield School for a short time from 1958. My first school was The Prince Albert, which was in Whitehead Road, the school dentist was just round the corner in Albert Road.
To get back to Birchfield, Mr Williams was our form teacher and I remember the classroom overlooked the allotment. He was a good teacher although he caned me once for laughing in class. Got a fit of the giggles and although he told to me stop a couple of times I could'nt so got whacked. I was only there for about a year because shortly after starting there we moved from Potters Hill to Nelson Street in Ladywood. After we moved I had to get two buses to get there and it was just to much. Mr Williams lived in Edgbaston and some mornings he would stop at the bus stop and give me a lift. Dont really have many memories about it although I can remember we used to walk to the playing fields once a week for sports.

Hello Ken, Welcome to the forum, I have also only been a member for a short time. The great thing about the forum is it stirs memories, and any thing that keeps the ”grey matter” alive is a good thing. I also recall the weekly walks to the playing fields in Wellhead lane. I was never one for sport, by the time we had walked to the fields most of us were too tired to play football. Considering it’s more than sixty years ago we are not doing to bad. I also recall the school’s clinic in Whitehead Road, or was Albert Road, I recall having to go there for treatment to a verruca, it was literally dug out over the course of six weeks, but whilst I was attending there I missed out on the sports afternoons.
I was told the school years are the best years of our lives, I’m still not convinced that to be true. Life has been good to me, and it has all been built on the time spent at Birchfield Road, my only regrets is I could and should have worked a lot harder there.
Best wishes Alf, (Chunky at school)

Hello Ken, Welcome to the forum, I have also only been a member for a short time. The great thing about the forum is it stirs memories, and any thing that keeps the ”grey matter” alive is a good thing. I also recall the weekly walks to the playing fields in Wellhead lane. I was never one for sport, by the time we had walked to the fields most of us were too tired to play football. Considering it’s more than sixty years ago we are not doing to bad. I also recall the school’s clinic in Whitehead Road, or was Albert Road, I recall having to go there for treatment to a verruca, it was literally dug out over the course of six weeks, but whilst I was attending there I missed out on the sports afternoons.
I was told the school years are the best years of our lives, I’m still not convinced that to be true. Life has been good to me, and it has all been built on the time spent at Birchfield Road, my only regrets is I could and should have worked a lot harder there.
Best wishes Alf, (Chunky at school)
Hi Alf and thankyou for the welcome, I do appreciate it. I could not remember the name of the road where the playing fields were but as soon as I read your post it all came back to me and yes it was a fair walk from the school. My memories of Wellhead Lane are cold, damp and miserable. Always wanted to be somewhere else.
The Prince Albert School was always referred to as Albert Road School but it was in Whitehead Road. The clinic that you spoke about was just round the corner in Albert Road, it housed the school dentist as well. I have a painful memory of him. At the top of Albert Road on the corner of Witton lane was the library. The building is still there, I would think its probably listed.
Like many of us I wish I had worked harder at school but it was only after I left I realised I had a brain.
In my class at Birchfield was a lad who was also name Ken and I think his surname was Hall. Seem to remember he played the Trumpet.
Will post more memories in the future if I think they may be of interest to others.
Best wishes Alf. Take care. Ken.

Hi Alf and thankyou for the welcome, I do appreciate it. I could not remember the name of the road where the playing fields were but as soon as I read your post it all came back to me and yes it was a fair walk from the school. My memories of Wellhead Lane are cold, damp and miserable. Always wanted to be somewhere else.
The Prince Albert School was always referred to as Albert Road School but it was in Whitehead Road. The clinic that you spoke about was just round the corner in Albert Road, it housed the school dentist as well. I have a painful memory of him. At the top of Albert Road on the corner of Witton lane was the library. The building is still there, I would think its probably listed.
Like many of us I wish I had worked harder at school but it was only after I left I realised I had a brain.
In my class at Birchfield was a lad who was also name Ken and I think his surname was Hall. Seem to remember he played the Trumpet.
Will post more memories in the future if I think they may be of interest to others.
Best wishes Alf. Take care. Ken.
Hello Ken, I also recall the dentist and the rubber mask. Also recall the long steel sink where we sat spitting out b***d. Your location is spot on it is Witton Road not Witton Lane. Witton Lane runs alongside Villa Park, I lived in Station Road opposite Villa Park.
We moved from Birmingham in 1966 after we were married. But can picture the surroundings vividly. Look forward to reminiscing with you again. Kindest regards, Alf.

Regards Alf Charles.
hi chunky i am trying to find out what school someone attended and this school is a possible one...would the name robert (bob) wright mean anything to you..he was the same age as you...actually his first name was frederick but i think he prefered to use his middle name of robert..

cheers

lyn

Back