• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

hi tonybrad I am very well thankyou did you play the doubie b flat base in the school band I was on the trombone line with howard and my brother david was on the front bench with ken hall kind regards sidwho

hi sidwho, yes that was me. Lost touch with all my mates from school as I moved to south wales. Are any of the band or other school members on this site do you know? regards tony

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

Hello Graham, have just found this site, you mention me Ross Muller and Chris Burke. I used to come to your house in Glendower Road and see your model aircraft you made which were brilliant and it got me started making models which I still do today to my wife's annoyance. Wasn't Mr Hunts son called John. Wasnt the PE teacher Mr Evans (Boggy) as he was known. I do remember you in the Opera. Happy days.
I hope you are well as we are all getting on in age.
Regards Ross
Hi Ross
Would be great if you could contact me Graham Bradbury

Last edited:
Graham, thanks you for posting on the forum. We strongly advise member not to post their personal email addresses on the forum. The data can be harvested and use for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects your privacy.

Hi Morturn Thanks for the advice . Can you on my behalf delete the ref to my email. Regards Graham

You should be able to do that yourself - click on to the three dots next to Report at the bottom left hand corner and it will drop the box with Edit down, click onto that and you can remove the address - then click Save :)

Hi my names Ian Freeman, I was one of the Major Generals Daughter's in the same "play" I put a scan of the programme on to Friends Reunited a few years ago, sent a few emails, but got no response.
I left when the school was demolished, ( aged about 14ish) we all got a photgraph taken from a tower block opposite the school (also put on Friends Reunited), moved on to Stockland Green Bilateral School, My junior school was Yewtree Junior school near the villa Ground (i'm a West Brom fan lol) I've lived in and around the London area since about 1975.

Hi Ian You may be getting this message twice. I was the major general in the production. The image below is from our school production in 1962. I also have found you listed in the production programme. You may remember me??? I was friends with Chris Burke & Ross Muller. I have other photographs. I suspect you were a couple of years below me, perhaps in the same year as Ozzie (John Michael) Osborne who was also in Pirates.
Regards Graham Bradbury

Attachments

• 1962 pirates.jpg
    1962 pirates.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 31
Hi Ian You may be getting this message twice. I was the major general in the production. The image below is from our school production in 1962. I also have found you listed in the production programme. You may remember me??? I was friends with Chris Burke & Ross Muller. I have other photographs. I suspect you were a couple of years below me, perhaps in the same year as Ozzie (John Michael) Osborne who was also in Pirates.
Regards Graham Bradbury
Hi Graham my name is Larry Wright i was in T Iommi's class along with Albert chapman, Ozzy was a year younger but we were good friends from 1963 to 69. I still see Albert chapman. In your school photo i am 2 down 4 across. Are you in the school photo ??

Hi Larry
I am in the production Pirates 1962. (see pic 23rd sept 2020) I played the Major general ..centre in the dressing gown & yellow night cap. I had a look at the programme & you are not listed. Are you looking at a different picture ? or.... a different Pirate production. I do not know if you remember me. I had the nickname The Beak due to my largish nose. I was in the same year as Ross Muller, Alan Evans, David Spencer & Chris Burke.
Regards Graham

Hi Larry
I am in the production Pirates 1962. (see pic 23rd sept 2020) I played the Major general ..centre in the dressing gown & yellow night cap. I had a look at the programme & you are not listed. Are you looking at a different picture ? or.... a different Pirate production. I do not know if you remember me. I had the nickname The Beak due to my largish nose. I was in the same year as Ross Muller, Alan Evans, David Spencer & Chris Burke.
Regards Graham
sorry Graham the class of 1962/63 from the left 2 down 4 across

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School

Hello everyone,
It seems as though Birchfield has an unfair reputation. I was there from 1961-1964, and actually loved that school. I played on the football, rugby, and cricket teams, as well as loved playing badminton at lunch times in the hall. I remember so many things that have stayed with me throughout my life, can anyone remember the huge banner that stretched across the science class? It said, "Never be content with less than a neat and orderly record of work" It's odd the things you remember, like Mr. Williams who could sure give the cane, and also Mr. Hobunguana who used a size 14 trainer across the bum. I have several pictures from Birchfield that I will attempt to post.

Reg LongmoreView attachment 101482
I am from the left 2 down and 4 across are you in that picture ??

I went to Birchfield bug house from 1958-1962 is there anyone else who attended around that time.
Just found the Birchfield school on the Birmingham History Forum. I attended this school from 1956 to 1961, approximately. Having previously attended Yewtree junior and infant school.
Birchfield‘s headmaster I recall was Mr. Whittaker, his daily mantra of “Leave other people and other peoples property alone,“ has stayed with me to this day. I also recall Mr, Brassington, deputy head, Mr. Taylor, RE, and war stories. Messers Hunt, Williams, Griffiths. Mr. Hillkirk, my 3rd year form master, was a young teacher from Barnsley, held in high esteem.
Mr. Williams wrote in my leaving book, “To make friends, you have to be a friend,“ This has been my philosophy through life and has served me well. I am now 76, and recall days at Birchfield with great affection. Classmates that I can remember included, Kevin Greaney, Ronnie Thynne, Keith Mansfield, Malcolm Perry, Fred Holland, Trevor Csete.
I have forgotten what I did last week and last month but the memories of school are as clear and vivid as yesterday. My name at school was ”Chunky” otherwise known as Alf Charles. I lived in Witton, near Villa Park and the Tram Sheds. I now live near Sheffield in the beauty of South Yorkshire. life’s been good to us, built on the foundations of our time at Birchfield. I think the most important thing I learnt there, was I was taught how to learn.
Regards Alf Charles.

What a nice first post - welcome to the Forum.
I was at Birchfield Road Juniors and have good memories from the school, as you say - I can also recall some things better from that era than what I did last week!!

What a nice first post - welcome to the Forum.
I was at Birchfield Road Juniors and have good memories from the school, as you say - I can also recall some things better from that era than what I did last week!!
Thank you for your repl, it’s good to know I am not on my own memory wise. have a great day stay safe. Alf

Just found the Birchfield school on the Birmingham History Forum. I attended this school from 1956 to 1961, approximately. Having previously attended Yewtree junior and infant school.
Birchfield‘s headmaster I recall was Mr. Whittaker, his daily mantra of “Leave other people and other peoples property alone,“ has stayed with me to this day. I also recall Mr, Brassington, deputy head, Mr. Taylor, RE, and war stories. Messers Hunt, Williams, Griffiths. Mr. Hillkirk, my 3rd year form master, was a young teacher from Barnsley, held in high esteem.
Mr. Williams wrote in my leaving book, “To make friends, you have to be a friend,“ This has been my philosophy through life and has served me well. I am now 76, and recall days at Birchfield with great affection. Classmates that I can remember included, Kevin Greaney, Ronnie Thynne, Keith Mansfield, Malcolm Perry, Fred Holland, Trevor Csete.
I have forgotten what I did last week and last month but the memories of school are as clear and vivid as yesterday. My name at school was ”Chunky” otherwise known as Alf Charles. I lived in Witton, near Villa Park and the Tram Sheds. I now live near Sheffield in the beauty of South Yorkshire. life’s been good to us, built on the foundations of our time at Birchfield. I think the most important thing I learnt there, was I was taught how to learn.
Regards Alf Charles.
I’m Geoff Sutton (Satch)I lived in Holte Road. I started school at Station Road Infants, went to Yewtree Road Junior School then went to Birchfield Road SM 1958 to 1962. I played for the Rugby team at scrum half, with mates Harry Ensor and John Colomb. In the team I remember John Pratt, Derick Aimes....... I was wood work monitor in my last year. I consider I was not stretched enough in my education. I went on to run my own business with tens of empoyees till I retired. Over all good days.

Back