• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

agree with all you say big gee we must be grateful for the photos that we have of days gone by...lovely memories off you too willey thank you for sharing them with us...

happy christmas to you both....

lyn

Agree lyn about that Subway, It used to be a muggers paradise and as you said urinal. What a difference to what it used to be.

Amazing photographs!

I was at Birchfield Road Junior and Infants and I remember the underpass being built but had forgotten quite how that part of the Birchfield Road looked beforehand.

This is 1962 Birchfield Underpass

Birchfield_Underpass_March_1962.jpg

That looks like the day it was opened - I remember it as we were allowed out of school (supervised by teachers of course!) to watch the proceedings.

That is the Lord Mayor of Birmingham's car if I recall correctly, it was the first to drive down.

hi ragga i agree its a great pic..still hard to believe it once looked like that..

lyn

cracking shot of birchfield road..looking towards aston lane..can make out the old crown and cushion on the left..the birchfield cinema on the right and the library next to it..the church you can see in aston lane is still there and so are the houses to the left of it but the houses to the right of the church have now gone..

img064.jpg

Now I have a question (aren't photos great for raising questions?!!) My question is : was there a road already there before the road widening, if you get my drift. Obviously the road with the Birchfield Cinema on is Birchfield Road. But when the buildings were demolished on the other side i.e in front of the big Crown & Cushion, was there also a road there? Put another way was there a road parallel to Birchfield Road behind the little old C&C which stood for a while in front of the big C&C, then was demolished? Think this is not very well put but hope someone understands what I'm getting at! Viv.

viv i think i understand what you are saying..maybe someone can answer you...im lost lol..

meanwhile i took these pics the other day..barclays bank which is still on the corner of aston lane and the church in aston lane..both you can see in my overhead pic...

Images retrieved by Oldmohawk

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
another nice pic of birchfield road...cinema and library on the right..

Image retrieved by Oldmohawk
image.jpeg

I was wondering if it would make sense to merge this and the "Aston - Birchfield Road" thread? (Not being picky, just in the interests of being able to find all the info & pics in one place). Viv

We have got another Birchfield Road thread 'where on birchfield road ??' Here
I've been waiting for Lyn to put the starting photo back because it was the place where I bought my first car in 1964.
The only thing was the photo was not in Birchfield Rd but the thread got underway with me posting a photo Here of the car 4 years after I bought it and also a photo of my second car, and we were soon well away discussing things about the old Crown & Cushion etc...
oldmohawk

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Oldmohawk, had forgotten about that thread. It does seem to raise the question about how far they should be merged. I suppose at the basic level, where possible, it would be nice to insert links between related subjects across threads. I think it in some cases it would give readers more if they had a bit of tidying and linking up. Viv

Some photos (1962-1968) and an artist's impression of the development of the Perry Barr Expressway and flyover. Viv.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327096575.609892.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1327096591.484211.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1327096603.780042.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1327096622.042821.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1327096633.026346.jpg

Viv
I doubt it viv, as it had disappeared by 1938, and the area is just a space on the map. Below shows where it was exactly in c1904

mapc1904showingbirchfieldhouse.jpg

Looking at Mike's map it reminded me how enormous were both the houses and grounds at the top end of Trinity Road, on the Earlsbury Gardens side. About 40 years ago we became friendly with a man who lved in one of those houses, just up from the Variety Artistes Club. He lived alone, was very well-spoken, and we used to describe him as 'our distressed gentlefolk friend'. His house was huge, built on 3 storeys plus a vast attic, but only the ground floor was habitable, as the roof had gone and he couldn't afford either to have it fixed or move house. His living-room could have been used as a set for a Miss Marple production - generations of expensive furniture and ornaments, which our friend couldn't bring himself to sell. Funnily enough, he still kept both front and back gardens well-tended, but his house was quite literally falling down around him.

He was elderly 40 years ago, and will be long gone by now. But it's interesting as a link between how the area was, and what's it become over the past few decades. I can still remember his name, and if anyone reading this thinks they knew him, please drop me a PM.

G

The houses that were knocked down in Aston Lane had some very nice Victorian bricks along the edges of the roof, We were visiting Mom and drove up Aston Lane as they were in the middle of the demolitions and had left bricks lying around. I manage to 'Rescue' a few, they are all in the garden, some as edging to a border and more in front of pots that hold non stop Begonias in Summer. It's my bit of Brum!!

Hi di ;
we lived at 309 aston lane years ago way back in the eighties just along from the doctors
our house was a large victorian house but at that end by the birchfield rd of aston lane was the smarter kept house i thougt
i remember them demolishing them and building those little shops on the approch to birchfield rd junction
there used to be a bus terminus clock in for the outer circle bus drivers if my memory serves me correctly
as it came across the junction from wellinton rf and passing the old crown and cushin pub ; it pull up out side those houses
for five or ten mins ; for the driver t punch the clock with his key ;
have a nice day ; di; best wishes astonian ;; alan ;

So it was you Lyn caught it from !

lol mike....hi di i think i remember you saying about the bricks that you saved from aston lane..well done you..as you may remember quite a few of us have got some of the blue bricks rescued from the the winfield brass co excavation and ive got mine in the back garden along with an old chimney pot from farm st...a pub sign..and the front cover with the birmingham coat of arms on that came from an old lamp post from miller st..all surplus to requirements...may not be worth anything but as you say its just a little bit of brum history that i am proud to have..recently i was given an old cast iron pub table which i have restored..will post some pics of it later on...

lyn

img257.jpg
A little further up/down the road, Birchfield flyover 1970.

View attachment 73733Ref Picture on #39. Barton Arms on left, so I think this is High Street from Six Ways Aston. Aston University in the distant mist.
Construction of Perry Barr Expressway. Reynolds House under construction on right.

yes rob you are quite correct...i also think the large building on the same side of the bartons just a bit further down is the house that jack built..

lyn

hi ya ragga thats a cracking pic and i can see why you may think its perry barr...i cant be certain about this one..think we need some help...

lyn

Back