• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

I remember Birchfield Rd in the 60's. I used to work at Maison Celeste. A hairdressing salon. We used to play jokes on the new apprentices, sending them next door (a hardware shop, for a glass hammer or ' along weight' (wait!)) Further to the left was a cafe where we used to go for a lunch or mince pie (Byrons, I think it was called) To the right of the hairdressers was the cinema. One day I met a blind date there. I came across him on Radio Caroline. He was training to be a Doctor. John Cunningham....wonder if he ever made it! He took me to the YMCA and afterwards for a coffee.
On the opposite side of the road there was a butchers, a handbag shop ++ you had to use the underpass to get there.

The link explains why they are not occupied. the council AND WHOEVER ELSE STANDS TO PROFIT i strying to get too much for them, so people cannot get a mortgage . They should be rented out to those who need them. AND No further housing should be permitted to be built unless it is either for rent at a reasonable rent or to be sold at an affordable price.
Absolutely! That is the only way to make them listen.

I remember Birchfield Rd in the 60's. I used to work at Maison Celeste. A hairdressing salon. We used to play jokes on the new apprentices, sending them next door (a hardware shop, for a glass hammer or ' along weight' (wait!)) Further to the left was a cafe where we used to go for a lunch or mince pie (Byrons, I think it was called) To the right of the hairdressers was the cinema. One day I met a blind date there. I came across him on Radio Caroline. He was training to be a Doctor. John Cunningham....wonder if he ever made it! He took me to the YMCA and afterwards for a coffee.
On the opposite side of the road there was a butchers, a handbag shop ++ you had to use the underpass to get there.
I worked at that butcher after school sometimes, WT Baker I worked at the one on Soho Rd mostly #264.

I worked at that butcher after school sometimes, WT Baker I worked at the one on Soho Rd mostly #264.
Depends what year you worked at the butchers. In 1963 one of the 'girls' from the salon went out with one of the butchers. Her name in the salon was 'miss Louise' but her real name was Carol.....not sure if this information fills a gap.

Depends what year you worked at the butchers. In 1963 one of the 'girls' from the salon went out with one of the butchers. Her name in the salon was 'miss Louise' but her real name was Carol.....not sure if this information fills a gap.
‘59, ‘59 & ‘60. I was mostly at the Soho Rd store and would go to the Perry Barr store when they needed help. I was very aware of the salon but not the relationship! Brings back some great memories. On a separate matter I purchased my first good camera from a photography store around the corner on Wellington Rd. And yes I still have it an Agfa Silette 35mm. It has been around the world a few times, still takes great photographs!

Back