• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

update on birchfied libary..it was demolished about 10 years ago and is still an open space

lyn

update on birchfied libary..it was demolished about 10 years ago and is still an open space

lyn

Yes, it certainly was - I think there was talk originally of a new one being built but no chance of that now!
I loved that library, in the days before computers, libraries were the only place to find information for school homework and projects.

Perry Barr Library - when I was a small lad (early '40's) I can remember the very strong smell in there which was a combination of furniture polish, musty books and other unidentified substances - all very distinctive. A true library smell! Any one else recall that aroma? willey

Wiley - don't remember the Perry Barr Library, but that was certainly the smell at the library I used (Perry Common). It was such re-assuring and conforting smell. It helped to create a place to linger in ! Viv.

Willey, behind the library was Roy's Bakery at the top of Aston Lane, and many was the time I was looking through the books I could detect the very pleasant aroma of baking. I recall one of the ladies remarking to someone that occasionally they'd get rats in the library, presumably from the bakery. I agree about the polish and the musty books, though - they used to slap polish all over the place.

I spent hours and hours in Birchfield Library. If I remember correctly, before a child was allowed to go up to the balcony at the rear of the main hall he or she had to be 'vetted' by a librarian. Why, I don't know. There were only books up there, same as the rest of the place. Some evenings one or two tramp-like men would be there, reading the papers, and they were tolerated. Why they closed it, and later demolished it, I could never get my head around.

G

I'd forgotten about permission for the balcony area, I can't imagine why that was - I wouldn't have thought it was 'Health and Safety' in those days?!

I remember the reading room as well, just on the left of the corridor when you went in and yes, it seemed always older men sitting in there!
I expect they had a doze in the warmth as well as looking at the papers!

I used to use Erdington Library and yes there was that strange smell a mixture of books, polish, dust and people. But I owe a debt of gratitude to the librarian there as she encouraged me to move from the children's section to suitable adult books (she vetted what I read) and then I was allowed to change the books on the same day, because I read quickly. This was a no no because the tickets were still on the exit side and not moved across to the in side. Because I went to school in Sutton, I was also allowed to use Sutton Library which was a more modern building and the smell was not there. I was lucky to be able to have four library books on the go at once. Do you remember how they used to bind the books and gold block the titles and authors. Off topic, except for the smell of libraries, sorry.

Bob

I'd forgotten about permission for the balcony area, I can't imagine why that was - I wouldn't have thought it was 'Health and Safety' in those days?!
A favourite trick of youngsters was to drop tickets - and very small items from the open balconies of older tramcars. Maybe this was something similar that happened in libraries with balconies. ;)

To be honest, as a youngster, any opportunity to climb up onto a balcony would have had great attractions, and more so if it needed special permission. Viv.

The thread seems to have strayed from Birchfield Road to Aldridge Road and possibly Walsall Road. There seems to be a lot of references to Aldridge Road on other threads here. Maybe the answers are there somewhere.

In the 1940s on the Birchfield Road I was often taken in there as a young child and the food was good although in those days of rationing any food was good. I think it was called a 'British Restaurant' back then.
britrest.JPG

A No 33 bus passing through Perry Barr towards the city. The tall 'Perry Barr Precinct' building on the left was later demolished to make way for the 'One Stop' shopping site.
33busPerryBarr.jpg

About once every couple of weeks my mother would do some shopping on Birchfield Road, which made a change to Witton Road, where she usually shopped. I'd go with her usually, and I can remember going to the British Restaurant several times. Mom knew one of the ladies who worked there. I can't remember what I ate, but I do recall it was always warm and steamy inside, great on a cold day. If Mom felt flush, we'd go to Byron's Cafe, and I do remember having scrambled eggs on toast there. Amazing how little things like this stick in your mind nearly 70 years on.

G

There was a hardware shop there and I seem to remember Melox dog food. I’ve tried to read the newspaper adverts on the right but can only see words ‘victory’ or ‘victims’ in the Evening Despatch one and ‘mystery’ in the Daily Mail one.

Looking at the lady cyclist's hat I'd say this is probably 1910s. (Wondered if it was around WW1?). Also other ladies in the street seem to be wearing earlier 1900s headwear and full-length dresses/coats. By the 1920s this changed with raised hemlines and closer fitting cloche-type hats. Although older generations clung to past fashions of course. Viv.

The date has to be prior to 1915, that was when trams received route numbers rather than letters. The tram in the photo (post 543) caries the letter 'P'.
Moreover until 1909/1910 the terminus was in Chain Walk, not as shewn in the photo as there was a dispute, for about two years, with Handsworth UDC when the services started in 1907.

photo on post 541 brings back memories to me....i used to work in an office in that tall building and there was a great indian restaurant i think on the 2nd floor...this would have been middle 70s

lyn

There was a hardware shop there and I seem to remember Melox dog food. I’ve tried to read the newspaper adverts on the right but can only see words ‘victory’ or ‘victims’ in the Evening Despatch one and ‘mystery’ in the Daily Mail one.
Dodds was the hardware shop, I still have a garden spade my Mother gave me that she bought from there which has Dodds name written on it with the price 2/6d.

Lyn, I remember that Indian restaurant quiet well but not its name! It was a regular place for a Saturday eat-out for me and friends back in the 1960's. Perry Barr Precinct was all right when it first opened, but in a quite short space of time companies started moving out, premises were boarded up and it became something of a haven for druggies. Shame, but the way of the world unfortunately.

G
photo on post 541 brings back memories to me....i used to work in an office in that tall building and there was a great indian restaurant i think on the 2nd floor...this would have been middle 70s

lyn

Dodds was the hardware shop, I still have a garden spade my Mother gave me that she bought from there which has Dodds name written on it with the price 2/6d.

I remember Dodds very well, my mother had worked nearby and knew the staff - I knew one of the men working there as 'Uncle Rex'

Can one of the bus experts explain why 3820 is showing service extra was it not a locally garaged bus?
Bob
Reviewing this thread and referring to post 195 it seems that the photo was taken in late 1969 not long after the PTE take-over which might explain movement of buses from one garage to another. I believe the use of SERVICE EXTRA might support that idea as the bus had not yet been fitted with a Wellhead Lane blinds.

A No 6 tram on Birchfield Road Perry Barr near the bus garage apparently waiting to travel on to the terminus which was in the centre of the road opposite the Crown and Cushion pub. Only one tram at a time could be stopped at the terminus and it looks as if all the passengers have got off rather than waiting.
View attachment 111262
The tram appears to be car 17, built in 1903, fitted top covers 1905 or 1907. If it is car 17 it survived until 1949. It is seen in the pre 1946 colours with old style numerals.

Another No 6 tram waiting it's turn to get to the terminus by the Crown and Cushion pub. Everyone appears to have got off the tram apart from one women who might be the conductress and presumably the driver might be somewhere in the tram having a sit down. The Municipal Bank can be seen on the corner of the Broadway.
View attachment 111526

Car 8, built 1903/4 also survived until 1949, It is in the pre 1946 style. I doubt that the woman is the conductress - unless she has had a row with the driver :D - she look more like a passenger. The conductress and driver are probably having a cup of tea and maybe a smoke by the Bundy clock. ;)

Last edited:
Back