• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield House Perry Barr

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Didn't know there was once a Birchfield House as on this section of an 1834 OS map. Does anyone remember it or was it demolished long ago? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327827923.100941.jpg Viv.

hi viv..sorry i dont know anything about birchfield house but i am so pleased that you posted that early map..if you look at the little area showing aston villa and lozells lane im pretty sure that is roughly where villa street was situated..this is where i lived from the age of 5 to 18 years old...i will ask mike if he could confirm this for me...

lyn

Thanks all! That's wonderful. Mike your map shows so well how vast the house was, thanks. And BigGee and Puddings posts are a lovely addition to this thread. They show how well the area must have prosperred at one time. I expect the house gave way to the road development, such a great pity. Lyn I'll post an extract of the 1834 map covering more of the area around Villa St for you on the Villa St thread (i.e. if there is one, haven't checked yet!) Viv.

If you're a right nosey so and so like me and enjoy seeing the inside of other people's houses, look at these 1898 interiors of Birchfield House (from the English Heritage Viewfinder site). Just look at all that plasterwork! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374407852.593063.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374407875.667949.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374407895.327994.jpg

Thanks for sharing those lovely interiors Vivienne. I think I know which houses they are?. Jean.

My Nan lived in Birchfield road with her family many years ago. Never know it may have been one of those?. Oh who is Enid by the way Di?.

great pics of birchfield house viv...do you know if its still there as ive a feeling its the building that i have been told has now been turned into offices...

lyn

Hi Lyn. Afraid it disappeared from maps by 1938 (Mikejee posted info earlier on this thread). Here is where it was in 1834 and on Mikejee's map of 1904. Seems to me the place was littered with pretty large houses in earlier times. Was once a very prosperous area and probably much of that came from agriculture, farming, mills etc.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374478235.788235.jpg

And here's Puddings external view of the house from her earlier post

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374478303.822536.jpg

Viv.

Birchfield House is marked on the map I posted in post #29, but is this that house ? I can’t quite tie this to photo posted by Pudding earlier, except for the leaded light windows. The angle is different too. Maybe this is the rear of the house. Maybe there were alterations. Or the view is a side view not visible in Pudding’s image.

I notice there’s another Birchfield House in Derbyshire, but this image shows a house nowhere near the scale of the Derbyshire house. Also the pc was posted in Birmingham. So it all points to Birchfield House, Perry Barr. Viv.

6977A45A-4504-468B-AB62-A6524B2712DB.jpeg

Attachments

• 83D210A6-2B60-425F-81B6-198C454F1223.jpeg
    83D210A6-2B60-425F-81B6-198C454F1223.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Birchfield House is marked on the map I posted in post #29, but is this that house ? I can’t quite tie this to photo posted by Pudding earlier, except for the leaded light windows. The angle is different too. Maybe this is the rear of the house. Maybe there were alterations. Or the view is a side view not visible in Pudding’s image.

I notice there’s another Birchfield House in Derbyshire, but this image shows a house nowhere near the scale of the Derbyshire house. Also the pc was posted in Birmingham. So it all points to Birchfield House, Perry Barr. Viv.

View attachment 152343
The two Birchfield Houses in these photos appear to be very different: one has two wings perpendicular to each other and the other has just one wing. Perhaps the two photos were taken at different times, with a significant rebuild in the interim??

View attachment 152343
The Birchfield House in Perry Barr was once owned by Martha Gibbins. The Gibbins family were Bankers and Glassmakers. One son named Brueton Gibbins with his brother had the Aston Glass Works. Attached is a postcard of Birchfield House

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210902-152735_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210902-152735_Gallery.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 28
The Birchfield House in Perry Barr was once owned by Martha Gibbins. The Gibbins family were Bankers and Glassmakers. One son named Brueton Gibbins with his brother had the Aston Glass Works. Attached is a postcard of Birchfield House
many thanks rossbret....odd you should make this post as we have recently been talking about the aston glass works which you may have already seen..if not click on the link below

lyn

I used to live on Birchfield Road in a house which according to the electoral records
was occupied by around five families, which must have made it a fairly sizeable property.

There are two houses in close proximity called Birchfield, which explains the difference.

The large white house called simply "Birchfield" and owned by the Gibbons family was on the eastern side of the Birchfield Road, opposite Wilmore Road, and the site of the house is occupied by the parade of shops on the A34 between Bragg Road and The Broadway.

The other "Birchfield House" was further along on the western side of Birchfield Road at the junction with Heathfield Road and today is a small park.

Shows both of them .

This in an OS map from 1905 which shows 'Birchfields' opposite Wilmore Road and seemingly corresponding to the Birchfield House on the 1834 map (see above). The site opposite Holy Trinity Church which is now a small park is shown with a house and grounds but unfortunately not named.
Des

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 13.01.18.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 13.01.18.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 13.23.06.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 13.23.06.png
    292 KB · Views: 19
In a document of 1853, my ancestor Alexander Harrison's address is given as Birchfield House, Handsworth. In the 1851 Census three generations of Harrisons are living (presumably at Birchfield House) on a road called Birchfield. Alexander Harrison is a solicitor. His father is a retired Militia officer.

John

There are two houses in close proximity called Birchfield, which explains the difference.

The large white house called simply "Birchfield" and owned by the Gibbons family was on the eastern side of the Birchfield Road, opposite Wilmore Road, and the site of the house is occupied by the parade of shops on the A34 between Bragg Road and The Broadway.

The other "Birchfield House" was further along on the western side of Birchfield Road at the junction with Heathfield Road and today is a small park.

Shows both of them .
I missed this post. Very useful to know this. Viv

i ageee viv it is very useful information which i did not know...thank you bartram the area must have been so lovely back in the day

lyn

Back