• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birches Green House

Suze

master brummie
Hi all...and thanks to Frothblower for giving me a start.
We both used to play in this derelict house on the corner of Kingsbury Rd and Spring Lane when we were children (in the late 50's early 60's) Does anybody have a photo of it please before it became a garage? Does anybody know who owned it and why it would have been left to go to ruin?

Hi all...and thanks to Frothblower for giving me a start.
We both used to play in this derelict house on the corner of Kingsbury Rd and Spring Lane when we were children (in the late 50's early 60's) Does anybody have a photo of it please before it became a garage? Does anybody know who owned it and why it would have been left to go to ruin?

Thanks for bring this back to life suze

I remember this old house, I lived on the Kingsbury Road just down the road from it, I had not given it a thought until reading about it just.
I can remember running past the house very quickly, as a child as I used to think it was haunted, I have a clear vision of it in my mind, what a memory jolt

From the electoral rolls it appears to have been owned and/or lived in by the Darlington family, Joseph Thomas Darlington and Alice Darlington (nee Cotton) up to 1939.

Kelly's 1939 has under Ironmongers - Retail, a Joseph Thos. Darlington Ltd, 1 Bevington Rd & 265 & 265a Witton Rd Aston. The electoral roll has the Bevington Rd under other abode listed for him against his Birches Green House address

Suzanne

It seems that before the Darlington's lived there an Alfred Paget Evans Justice of the Peace lived there. He was Vice Chairman of the Erdington Urban District Council.

Suzanne

Thanks Linda, thanks smtr, nice to see things moving on this subject. We'll have a photo one day:)

Yes,amazing how things turn up eventually.
I wonder why it was left to become derelict? Anybody any theories? I am sure there will be a photo in somebody's archive somewhere.

Back