• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingley Hall

That's great folks. A lot of work unless you know where to look. I'm not sure whose names I was really expecting. One thing that has struck me. I never knew anything about the Co-op. (We had one in Lyndon Road, Sheldon). But it's just struck me it must have been the fore-runner of what we now call "Chain Stores" eg Aldi etc.
OldBrummie.

In the Foreword of the BCS 70th Anniversary it says the publication has been brought forward to coincide with the Co-op Festival Exhibition which will be held at Bingley Hall in May 1951.

Before the International Conference Centre was built. Unable to give date but would this be late 1970s/early 80s ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Fire rages through Bingley Hall, January 1984

DEUOcViXgAIz_Qv.jpg:large

I was on leave in 1964 and worked for 2 weeks with the circus at Bingley Hall, fascinating time, paid £4.00 for the week, wonder if its still there. Paul

The clocks in post 206 are all at differing times. I wonder if that was intentional so that some of the time zones of the most important cities or countries might be known? On the other hand they may be from different places and just happened to have been stopped at the time they show. ;)

The clocks in post 206 are all at differing times. I wonder if that was intentional so that some of the time zones of the most important cities or countries might be known? On the other hand they may be from different places and just happened to have been stopped at the time they show. ;)
Clocks that size would run off the mains. There's not enough space for clockwork in the back and batteries wouldn't have managed it. If they were supposed to be different time zones, they'd all have the minute hand in the same place.

Given, as has been pointed out, that the clocks all show different times, I expect they were brought out of storage, maybe collected from different POs some time in the past, maybe they were replaced and the old ones put into storage. Viv.

Bingley Hall!!!!!! That brings back some memories..........

My Grandad took me to the circus there and I met Coco the Clown I hugged that memorory
for along time, he was such a kind man.I think it was Billy Smart's Circus?

Then, years later, I went to the Ideal Home Exibition there.
How about a few memories from Christmas 1954 - Yes 65 years ago!

For the first time a really big circus comes to Bingley Hall
Britain's BIGGEST circus comes to town for 5 weeks!

Attachments

• EPSON024W.jpg
    EPSON024W.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 18
  • EPSON025W.jpg
    EPSON025W.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 17
  • EPSON026W.jpg
    EPSON026W.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 16
  • EPSON027W.jpg
    EPSON027W.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 12
I guess I was 11 perhaps 12 or even younger. Was the daily Mirror around then? i am talking 1957/8 .Anyway I joined a newspaper pets club I remember getting a paw shaped badge and they held a big pets show at Bingley Hall. Mum would not let me take the dog he was a bit mangie .So I took the budgie on the bus by myself. Was bitten by a hamster or it may have been a gerbil. Having never seen one before then have no idea
You know I might have been 10. Strange Mum let me go into the City but did not like me going out of the road too play elsewhere.

Back