• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bills Lad. New Member Introduction.

Bills Lad

Brummie babby
Hello all, my name is Mark and I was directed to this fine forum by a work mate.
So I thought I'd introduce myself, born in 1959 in Brook House Solihull I spent my early years living with Mom, Dad, Nan and two aunts in Hatchford Brook Road.
I began my education at Valley Infants School once Mum could get me to stay there! I'd give her a couple of minutes and then follow her home. So it was teacher handovers after a while.
Moved to Hatchford Brook Juniors, Mum's old school. She told tales of war time barrage balloons moored there.
Mum was Barbara Fullard (nee Mullis) and had worked at 'The Rover' as a secretary in the directors offices. She often got lifts home from Spen King, some times in JET 1 the gas turbine car, until I came along.
Dad was William 'Bill' Fullard, Ex- milk man, Service in the REME saw him open his own garage on the Yardley Rd Acocks Green, behind 'Harolds Cycles' almost next door the the 4 O'clock cafe. This would be 1960 until his retirement in about 1998. (He worked for Harold when on leave from the army and after his service before opening the garage).
My sister Tracey came along in 1963 and we moved out of Nan's and into a council house in Mayswood rd Solihull. It was great with a great big corner plot garden.
Finished my formal education at Lyndon High School for Boys and got an apprenticeship with Land Rover initally at Bromford Lane and then at the Meteor Works Solihull.
A Ten pin bowling habit at the Warwick Bowl Acocks Green introduced me to my future wife Vivien (nee Rudge).
Long story short, we were married at St Giles Church Sheldon (Mum & Dad married there and I was baptised there too) and moved in to 97 Common Lane in 1979. Still happily married we now live in Droitwich Worcestershire, plenty of Brummies out here too.
I'll dig out some pictures I have mainly of Dads days at the garage and endevour to post them on the forum.
Thanks for listening, Mark.

Welcome to the forum Mark. Hope you enjoy it. That's certainly a very comprehensive introduction

Weicome Mark. Let us hope that many more will follow your example and tell us a little bit of their history. We older memebrs could also open up and tell us all a little more about themselves. I will think about it.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Back