• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Billiards Hall

E

eileen

Does anyone have any pictures or information about the Nechells Billiard Hall. My Grandad and Uncle used to be regulars there in the mid-1930's and I have some old medals they won for billiards and snooker. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Eileen

Thanks Alf. Even if I don't find anything relating to the Billiards Hall, the sites look very interesting. Eileen

dont know bout the halls... but the Padmore link? Ive just discovered the Padmore billiard table makers are part of my family tree :) so im looking up for as much info as I can on the families ... in particular right now, Im after the home of one of them, Douglas Ratcliff Padmore.. the house is called Halewood House... its at worlds end solihull... anyone know where I might find photos of it?

Hi Truebritmega: You might try the Solihull website. https://www.solihull.gov.uk/heritage/16460.htm It has a guideline for tracing the history of old houses and how to go about it.
There are also links to local history groups who may have a photo of Halewood House or know where to find one if no one on this site can come up with one. I saw the Thurston shop on Lichfield Road last year when on a visit and have read the Padmore website. It's a very interesting story indeed. Good luck in your search.

thank you very much Jennyann i'll look at that as soon as i finish work today :) as for my tie to the padmores, im some kind of cousin (I never know the terms.. cousin 74times once removed etc LOL)... but my 4x (or 5x) great grans brother, was edmund heeley (silversmith and manufacturer of birmingham).. his daughter married edwin padmore, and there son douglas ratcliff padmore then carried on the business w another of his cousins i actually only found out about it by accident when doing a genewral search with the name douglas ratcliff padmore lol

Back