• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Billesley Farm

Fashionz

master brummie
Does anyone know anything about Billesley Farm, in Billesley?
Research I've done on the web says that the farm was demolished, in the 20's, but, a relative of mine has lived there 1970's thru the 90's. I've found a picture of the old farm and it is very, very much like my relatives house.
So, I'm wondering, is there some confusion between two places, a google search does bring back some references to "Billesley Hall Farm".

whereabouts in Brook Lane in relationship to Coldbath Rd, Yardley Wood Rd and Robinhood Lane ? which side north or south?

It should be visible on Google Earth in the aerial view for December 1945 , click on clock at the top then move the time slider back to the left

There is a house callled Billesley Farm behind Brook Lane it was advertised for sale a few years ago, it's a 18th centery building and it has outhouses. To access it you go down a drive between two houses.
It's NOT the old Billesley Farm shown on old maps that stood in what is now Wold walk rd at the junction of Hulbrook Rd

I have found the pics!
The house shown was demolished in the 1920s to build the housing estate.
The Google map shows in the centre the site of the building called Billesley Farm.It's the oblong building in the centre. If you follow the road along you will see a gap between the houses, this is access to the farm. Can you put your pic on this site?

It shows the property you mention on https://www.old-maps.co.uk coordinates 409662 281378 on the 1904 1:2,500 for worcestershire
Billesley Farm is clearly marked on the 1919-1920 1:10.500 Warwickshire 409216 280648 (you can also find the other house on this map)

That's the one. Is this the real Billesley Farm? What is this house if it isn't Billesley Farm?
There is a house callled Billesley Farm behind Brook Lane it was advertised for sale a few years ago, it's a 18th centery building and it has outhouses. To access it you go down a drive between two houses.
It's NOT the old Billesley Farm shown on old maps that stood in what is now Wold walk rd at the junction of Hulbrook Rd

There is a house called Billesley Farm behind Brook Lane it was advertised for sale a few years ago, it's a 18th centery building and it has outhouses. To access it you go down a drive between two houses.
We went to look at the one you mention still standing. The new gate pillars were already leaning badly so we did not go any further. Also the driveway seems to be used by the local dogs as a toilet. I used to cycle along that road every day first to school then to work but never knew it was there.

Sounds like it was in a bad way. When did you see it?
We went to look at the one you mention still standing. The new gate pillars were already leaning badly so we did not go any further. Also the driveway seems to be used by the local dogs as a toilet. I used to cycle along that road every day first to school then to work but never knew it was there.

The picture you posted is the one I found, it was in a book I bought in the 90's. This is exactly the same as my relatives house. Now, there is a utility room at the left and a bathroom and double garage on the right. The woodwork above the door is the same. There is a sun-house to the left of the house.And the garden looks about the same size.
This is why I'm confused, why does it look exactly like the one that has been demolished?
I have found the pics!
The house shown was demolished in the 1920s to build the housing estate.
The Google map shows in the centre the site of the building called Billesley Farm.It's the oblong building in the centre. If you follow the road along you will see a gap between the houses, this is access to the farm. Can you put your pic on this site?

Billesley Farm according to the 1919n map is where Wold Walk is now, maybe the postcard/photo was wrongly labelled.
Billesley House (the Police Station is just round the corner from where you are talking about.

I have attached a map

I've found this excerpt from The Evening Mail on Highbeam:-
Old farmhouse that's a real hidden treasure
Article from: Birmingham Evening Mail Article Date: June 18 2003
Byline: MAUREEN MESSANT
BACK in the Eighties when gazumping was a nightmare epidemic for housebuyers a former club-owner and now financial consultant reached the end of his tether.

'I was putting in good offers for properties,' says ----, 'and each time I was being gazumped. It happened about half a dozen times and I was getting more and more hot under the collar.

'So I rang an estate agent and asked if they'd anything on their books which I could buy before it was widely advertised.' His luck had changed. An old farmhouse tucked away in Billesley had just come on the market. Would he like to view it? First though he had to find it. Billesley Farm's postal address is 282 Brook Lane - but you'll look in vain for that number. So did...

Absolutely and from what little we saw he is welcome to it. The house Mike has described is way to small for a Farmhouse though it may have been part of a farm estate at one time.

When I saw the building up for sale it was discribed as "Billesley Farm" and it stated as a 18th century building with outhouses asking price was under £100-000, then a few years later over£150-000!

Thanks Guys for all your input. It's always mystified me. I've come to the conclusion that it was a building that was a part of the Billesley Farm Estate.

Does anyone know anything about Billesley Farm, in Billesley?
Research I've done on the web says that the farm was demolished, in the 20's, but, a relative of mine has lived there 1970's thru the 90's. I've found a picture of the old farm and it is very, very much like my relatives house.
So, I'm wondering, is there some confusion between two places, a google search does bring back some references to "Billesley Hall Farm".
Billesley Hall Farm was a totally separate farm to Billesley Farm. The farmhouse is where Moseley Golf clubhouse is now. It was originally called Bulley House Farm and Billesley Lane was called Bulley Lane.
It was changed from Bulley to Billesley in late Victorian times.

Back