• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Billesley Common Airfield

superdad3

master brummie
Early aviation in Birmingham started with the founding of the Birmingham Aero Club in 1909. In 1911 they moved to a field on Billesley Farm. While researching the Prosser family of St Agnes Road, Moseley, I discovered that young Edwin Prosser was an early member of the Birmingham Aero Club and obtained his pilots license in 1913 aged 17. Edwin was in the forefront of early aviation and was involved in flying displays at the airfield.

Regular use of the airfield started with the Midlands Flying School based there from 1915 and in 1916 it was designated as a Home Defence Landing Ground for No. 38 Squadron but never used by the military.

Edwin moved to Australia and in 1917 volunteered for the Australian Flying Corp as an engineer but later returned to England and ultimately ended up in an asylum. Sad ending for a real pioneer.

By early 1921regular flying at Billesley seems to had ended.

Interestingly in 1973 the RAF Recruiting Roadshow held an major event there with flypasts by a Vulcan Bomber and the Red Arrows and a Harrier landing pad.

b a art.jpgep.jpgbill plaq.jpg

Early aviation in Birmingham started with the founding of the Birmingham Aero Club in 1909. In 1911 they moved to a field on Billesley Farm. While researching the Prosser family of St Agnes Road, Moseley, I discovered that young Edwin Prosser was an early member of the Birmingham Aero Club and obtained his pilots license in 1913 aged 17. Edwin was in the forefront of early aviation and was involved in flying displays at the airfield.

Regular use of the airfield started with the Midlands Flying School based there from 1915 and in 1916 it was designated as a Home Defence Landing Ground for No. 38 Squadron but never used by the military.

Edwin moved to Australia and in 1917 volunteered for the Australian Flying Corp as an engineer but later returned to England and ultimately ended up in an asylum. Sad ending for a real pioneer.

Interestingly in 1973 the RAF Recruiting Roadshow held an major event there with flypasts by a Vulcan Bomber and the Red Arrows and a Harrier landing pad.

View attachment 188815View attachment 188816View attachment 188817
I remember watching a Harrier land there - it must have been 1973. From my recollection we were able to get quite near to "the action". It would be much different these days with vastly increased H&S rules!

View attachment 188815View attachment 188816View attachment 188817
A Vulcan Bomber? That would have been loud!

In 1973, I was working for the MEB, based at their Kings Road, Kings Heath, depot. I well remember the V bomber flying over. Terrific sight.

Steve.

In 1973, I was working for the MEB, based at their Kings Road, Kings Heath, depot. I well remember the V bomber flying over. Terrific sight.

Steve.
I also remember seeing a Vulcan (the last one to fly) over Sutton Coldfield some years ago - superb site. Not as loud as when Concorde overflew East Drive at Fort Dunlop back in the 80's though - that WAS loud as it had just took off from Birmingham Airport (I think it could only fly with a limited load due to the length of the runway back then).

The Vulcan was an incredible machine. Impressive in flight and noisy but instantly recognisable.

The Midland Air Museum [near Coventry Airport] has a Avro B2 Vulcan in its collection and it's even more impressive close up. Was allowed to sit in the cockpit [very cramped] but that was many years ago. Museum much expanded and well worth a visit, Full details on their website at https://www.midlandairmuseum.co.uk/about.php

I well remember the Billesley Common airshow in 1973. - The Red Arrows were flying Folland Gnats at that time and the display was superb. I've seen them many times since but nothing has come close to that display in 1973. The Harrier landing and taking off was equally impressive. I joined the RAF three years later, so as a recruitment exercise it certainly worked.

Looking at the O/S map for 1905, my guess would be that the original "Airfield" would not have been on the site of the Modern Billesley Common. Billesley Farm was about where the present Billesley Primary school is - and the biggest field was to the south of it - So that original flying field would have been in the triangle bordered by the Present Yardley Wood Road, Trittiford Road and the Chinn Brook Meadow. - all long since built over apart from the thin strip of the Chinn Brook Meadow.

Last edited:
Just to clarify - Billesley Common was historically much larger than the present "Billesley Common" and spread for some distance on both sides of Yardley Wood Road.

The "airfield" was never more than just that - a big field that aircraft took off and landed in. Looking at the 1905 OS map, it's by far the biggest field in the area, so a natural place to fly those early aircraft from. Although marked for use as an emergency landing field during WW1, this did not mean there were any personnel there or any facilities other than possibly a windsock. It's probable that some of the early aircraft and gliders (prior to WW1) were stored in barns at Billesley Farm between use, but that was knocked down and built over in the late 1920s and 30s.

There is some coverage of the 1973 Billesley airshow on the "moseleians" website...

1905 OS Map

The airshow lasted two weeks - August 11-27th. My wife tells me that we went but sadly I have no recollection. There was also a fly past by a Lancaster according to "Billesley and Surrounds".

Very interesting - but not Billesley Common?
First article is about cakes in a marquee on Billesley Common for an RAF exhibition. Second article gives a bit more info about the man responsible.
However, if it is of the NEC i don’t think it would relate to the airfield. I can't see a date.

Back