• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bill Bryson At Home

Bill Parker

master brummie
I have to admit Im not a big reader but I am a keen fan of Mr Bryson. I am currently reading the above mentioned and it is a super book full of the most fascinating facts about all sorts of things.

The author moves from one room of his house, a Norflok rectory, to another room but then goes way back into how that room developed over the times, so dont just think its a history of a house or housing its a history of just about everything that has the vaguest connection with housing and past history in the broadest sense. Its 510 large pages of pure fascination.

I've read a couple of his books and I agree that he has a very 'easy to read' writing style. Think I will look out for this book to take a way for a good holiday read.

I have read everything this man has had published, he is a literary genius, his subjects are diverse, ranging from Shakespeare to travelling the globe,very easy to read, he has a great sense of humour.

Kathy, this is ideal holiday reading, Astonite, your right about the mans genious, easy to read , informative and very entertaining.

Thanks for the great tip, Bill. I have three of his books, have read several others, and enjoyed everything he's written. I wasn't aware of the one you mentioned and will look for it at the library.

Ann

Have read many of his books reccomend his Notes from a Small Island, an American view of his stay in this country, he certainly has a wide knowledge of England and its way of life. He first of all lived in a Yorkshire Dale village, returned to the US for a while then returned here now living in an old rectory in a Norfolk village, which is what the book Bill Bryson at Home is partly based on. I brought Bill Bryson at Home at Bham airport for some holiday reading end of May , at over 600 pages it is quite a tomb and I have only just finished it, most enjoyable if a bit lengthy. Eric

Last edited:
Back