• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bilberry Hill training centre Association of Boys Clubs

Hello. I am almost afraid to write this but here goes !!!!!!!!!
I think that MAYBE you have the wrong building ?????????????????????????????
The Bilberryhill Tea Rooms is on the main road going up Rose Hill towards Bromsgrove.
It is in no way as attractive as the picture you have posted.
Yes it was originally a tea room and at one time they held dances there.
The only way I suggest we verify this is : Wait for a sunny day, book a charabanc and have a ride up the lickys.
Betty. {This was sent from the anderson shelter.}
Is this the one Betty?

hi betty i am re posting this pic i have of the tea rooms for you

lyn

Lickey_Hills_Bilberry_Hill_Tea_Rooms_zps322153e0.jpg

Hello Bernie,

That is as I remember it. Mind it has been a good many years since I saw it ! !

Just a thought, there is another rather impressive building in that area, namely the Chalet.

{ does this mean we are not having a charabanc ride ????>???? not that I could get up the steps anyway }

Betty

Hello Bernie,<BR><BR>That is as I remember it. Mind it has been a good many years since I saw it ! !<BR><BR>Just a thought, there is another rather impressive building in that area, namely the Chalet.<BR><BR>{ does this mean we are not having a charabanc ride ????&gt;????&nbsp; not that I could get up the steps anyway }<BR><BR>Betty

Hello Lyn,
Many thanks for the picture having seen the one from Bernie that is the one in my mind.

I am now racking my brain , having just noticed Bernie's slogan at the bottom of his reply.

Think I had better go into hiding immediately. just to cap it all I pressed the wrong button AGAIN. Off with `er `ead.

I am a regular visitor to a web site called "28 Days Later" which is an urban exploration group [but actually records explores much more widely than that]. A recent post reports that the Bilberry Hill Training Centre is now closed. I used to go past this on many occasions like lots of others on a trip to the Lickeys with the family.

Very sad to see a well known building closed and increasingly vandalised. Have attached a few phots from site but the report can be seen at: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/bilberry-hill-centre-birmingham-june-2021.129514/
1627659325214.png 1627659366261.png

1627659394433.png 1627659431377.png

You are correct Superdad3, Bilberry hill training centre (tea rooms) closed a few months ago. Living right by there i noticed it was well used, especially at weekends. The last group to use it returned the keys back to the owners which is Birmingham City Council, and it now stands empty. I suppose our council will forget about it due to the commonwealth games, and it will probably be mysteriously burnt down. This is sad how it has been abandoned, because there is a lot of history about the place.

donated by the cadbury family in 1904 sadly will not mean a jot to bcc...i think most of us on here know by now the lack of interest they have in preserving our historial buildings...so sad when it could be put to good use

lyn

Agreed Lyn, they only painted it about three years ago. It seems to deteriorate by the week. Further to the Cadbury family, they also donated the Lickey Hills country park to BCC. And although it falls inside the Worcestershire, the BCC are thinking of charging to use the car parks now. One wonders who is going to pay for these games ?

Agreed Lyn, they only painted it about three years ago. It seems to deteriorate by the week. Further to the Cadbury family, they also donated the Lickey Hills country park to BCC. And although it falls inside the Worcestershire, the BCC are thinking of charging to use the car parks now. One wonders who is going to pay for these games ?
also jeepwolf this building is far away from the city centre which is really all the powers that be are interested in changing....you only have to look at the golden lion pub that has been languishing in cannon hill park for at least 15 years to know that nothing will be done to help save this building...as for the games i think it best i make no comment on this thread

lyn

The list of buildings that the BCC have neglected is endless Lyn.
also jeepwolf this building is far away from the city centre which is really all the powers that be are interested in changing....you only have to look at the golden lion pub that has been languishing in cannon hill park for at least 15 years to know that nothing will be done to help save this building...as for the games i think it best i make no comment on this thread

lyn

I drove past Bilberry Hill Training Centre this afternoon, i noticed that the council are putting protective coverings over the doors and windows. Sadly it looks like its going to stay shut for a very long time.

In the early 1960's I was a driver of the BFBC's Land Rover. The vehicle and trailer were stored at Bilberry Hill, after work on a Friday night I would collect the vehicle to take our youth club members to North Wales or Peak District etc. on walking, climbing, camping weekends. Sorry to learn that the BFBC got into financial difficulties. I guess the annual concert at the Alex helped to top the coffers up in the old days. Frankie Vaughan topping the bill.

Back