• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Big Top 1959

I remember going to see that display, but I thought that it was near The Civic Centre by The Hall of Memory, could be mistaken, I was only 5.
The Two Man Sub ,Spitfire, Shot down ME109, were on display at different times during WW2 in Victoria Square near The Town Hall to get people to invest in National Savings and make donations to buy a Spitfire the fighter was named "The City of Birmingham". Len.

Hello Chris. Thank you for the link to your piece on New Street. It had me thoroughly engrossed. You've skillfully painted such a clear and interesting picture of the area that I was immediately transported to the place. I could also feel the mood of the time too. Although I was born many years after the War, I still recognise from your words a lot of the experience of a trip to 'town'. You've given us a well written record of a very troubled and changing time for the City. Thank you very much for that. Regards Viv.

A wonderful story Chris, it was like wandering through my childhood recognising many of the places and scenes you describe. We use to wait at the bus stop in front of the Odeon opposite the Big Top site looking for the Midland Red buses coming round the corner from High Street hoping the next one would be a 188 Beeches, but often they would be 118's to Walsall, or 119's to the Scott Arms, we seemed to be the 'poor relations' on the Beeches Estate, which I think is now known as Perry Beeches. A minor error in your account is calling it 'Frankley Beeches' which I think is on the opposite side of the city.
I remember the cars with gas bags and also buses towing gas generator trailers.
I'm feeling really old...
oldmohawk

I remember that there was a Co-op Dept. Store at the Big Top in High Street. It was opposite, or more or less opposite, the old Co-op which was demolished to make way for the Pavillions shopping centre. The one at the Big Top had a dance floor above it 1963/4.

Around the corner was the Odeon and a few doors away was the old Littlewoods shop with wooden floors and opposite that was the posh Marshall and Snelgrove store with a red carpeted staircase towards the back of the shop.

The "new" Littlewoods on High St. closed down and became the site for Boots which is more or less opposite where M&S is now. That Littlewoods and Boots site had previously been the home of "Henry's" store

Brenda, I be lieve that particular Co-op was on both sides of the road linked by a passage running under the High Street, a very wide passage with goods on display. Eric

I didn't know about the passage but do know that the old shop had those very old fashioned lifts with criss- cross "gateways" instead of solid doors. Grey's had some of those too aswell as the Otis lifts with silver doors aswell as lift attendants.

Hi, yes there was a passage linking both sides of the co-op. The one end was by the basement restaurant and the tea bar and the other end went into the kitchen ware department. The passage had glass fronted displays along the sides. The old lifts had lift operaters who sat on a small seat just inside the door and asked you which floor you wanted. My mom worked at the co-op from the age of 14, she had a break during the war and then returned. She was still working there when it closed in 1985.

Chris how vividly you describe your memories, I can relate to so much of what you have written, excellent. You asked if we had any corrections, the only obvious one to me is when you describe The Beeches Estate as Frankley Beeches, as I am sure FB is Northfield way. I found the whole article thoroughly absorbing.

Yes a really excellent read as the others have said we are talking of Perry Beeches not Frankley,this takes nothing away from some wonderful memories. Dek

'Morning All,

I remember the Big Top when it was a tent opposite the Odeon (which was probably 'The Paramount' in those days...!).

I certainly recall going to a boxing promotion in the Big Top to watch Bruce Woodcock - the British and Empire Heavyweight Champion - perform. I forget who he was fighting at the time. But I do remember Jimmy Wilde - the 'Tylorstown Terror' - (retired) being introduced from the ring.

Those were the days...!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley
icon14.gif

Thanks very much for the generous comments about my New Street piece and especially for pointing out the error concerning Beeches. I've now corrected that.

Chris

I remember that there was a Co-op Dept. Store at the Big Top in High Street. It was opposite, or more or less opposite, the old Co-op which was demolished to make way for the Pavillions shopping centre. The one at the Big Top had a dance floor above it 1963/4.

Around the corner was the Odeon and a few doors away was the old Littlewoods shop with wooden floors and opposite that was the posh Marshall and Snelgrove store with a red carpeted staircase towards the back of the shop.

The "new" Littlewoods on High St. closed down and became the site for Boots which is more or less opposite where M&S is now. That Littlewoods and Boots site had previously been the home of "Henry's" store

The dance hall which was part of the Co-op was called the Rainbow Suite, I used to go there sometimes in 1966 - 67 as they had live bands
The entrance was a glass doorway in the arcade and you could either get the lift or walk up to the 2nd floor (I think it was). There was a fair size dance room with stage and a separate room with a bar.

Hi everyone.
Yesterday I got the train from Euston and was busting to get to New Street to find the spot of the Big Top tent, the spot where my parents met on Christmas Eve 1943.
What a shattering come down when I got to The Odeon (the Odeon was dead opposite the Big Top), and saw ...right next to Primark.....a ghastly empty walkway, enclosed by
horrendous yellow walls (where shops and Post Office used to be)..and it was strange saying thanks to my parents in a lonely dead end part of New Street.
And when you walk through it and come out on Union Passage, even that doesn't do a lot for you.
Ho hum.....my pilgrimage completed.
Thanks to all helpers.

This is the BHS cafeteria at the Big Top shop. I don't remember it looking like this but definitely ate there on occasions. Thought it was bigger than this. Viv.

image.jpeg

The original plans for the development of the "Big Top" bombed out site in the 1950s. The plans took until 1959 to be completed. Viv,

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 10
We have several threads on the subject of the Big Top covering it's time as a bombed out site until its development as a new shopping area in the 1950s.

It seems to make sense to separate out the two and to relocate the posts from other threads to just these two. I think it will be easier to locate and distinguish the information about the WW2 site and post 1950s site. I shall be working on this. Viv.

The Big Top 1941 - 1957 (ie pre- 1950s shopping area) thread is now here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/big-top-1941-1957.1165/page-3#post-615973

Expanding on post #47. I know serious development plans (for a new shopping area) were being put forward as early as 1946. One of the problems encountered was the number of freeholders involved. And later there was a serious debate about whether to provide a subway (for deliveries etc).

It certainly took some time to move from the 1946 plans to the 1954 plans in #47 above. And even when plans were agreed it was predicted to take at least 3 years to build the new shopping area.

Personally I always found this part of New Street quite dull. The arcades designed into the plans ended up being more like characterless corridors, not arcades full of vibrant smaller shops. A wasted opportunity in my opinion.

I'm surprised, given the 1950s approach to redevelopment, that the short section of City Arcade which remains (by Union Street) is still there. It could so easily have been swept away using the excuse of WW2 damage. The freeholders of the original arcades on this site (presumably one freeholder (?) but it may have been a number) must have fought to keep it in the plans. Can't see the Council of the time wanting to keep it. Viv.

There seems to have been a lot of financial machinations, judging by the article below from 1954 (which I came upon while looking for something completely different)

Birm. Post.6.2.1954.jpg

I worked at Boots the Big Top before it was open. Had to do 6 months training on customer presentation and was told then “A customer is always right” I worked in Boots book lovers library on 1st floor in the corner. I left August 1970 because my Mother Died suddenly and I was just 16 at the time
my email is [email protected]
i was Margaret Beard back then

Welcome Margaret. That must have been a terrible time for you as a teenager.

I’d like to suggest you remove your email address from this public forum as this could attract unwanted mail. Instead we recommend members contact Margaret using the BHF messaging system. Click on the small envelope alongside your avatar on the blue bar above and use the “start conversation” option.

Viv.

Such a disappointment reading this thread, particularly Vivs pictures in #52. I remember going by the site on my way to the Coop or Odeon. It seemed that the construction took SO long and yet the result has been such a disappointment.

Back