• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Big Top 1959

loisand

master brummie
I started work in 1970 at Boots the Chemist, Big Top, New Street and to this day I still refer that area as being the Big Top, all the youngsters just look at you when you say Big Top in Birmingham :flower: :cat:

Isn't the Post Office in there (in the covered shopping area by B.H.S./W.H. Smith's) called the Big Top?

Sorry to bring an old thread up but I have a question about the Old Big Top Post office...

My friend said he worked for the PO many moons ago and said there was a tunnel running from the Big Top PO up to Victoria Square's PO for internal mail to be carried (by cart not vehicle)

I may have found an access point to the tunnel next to the PO but was wondering if any one else had any information on it before I go down any holes lol!

I thought it was New Street/Corporation Street junction. I'm sure that the old Boots (now Primark) had Big Top in its address.

Hi Carolina and Leslam. This is one of those places where I've never been sure where it actually is. But after googling it ( should have done that first ! ) it looks like it's quite a large area/group of shops opposite M& S High St and goes right across to the shops on New Street opposite the Odeon.

https://wikimapia.org/1810487/Big-Top

Is it commonly known as Big Top I wonder? Viv.

Thanks Jennyann. NOW I know exactly where it is! I remember BHS was once there and you could get into the shop via the arcades. Like the article says, its one of those places you don't take a lot of notice of. I remember it being a pretty grey looking row on High Street side. It's interesting how it got it's name, though and it'd be interesting to see earlier pictures of the place pre-WW2 bomb damage. Viv.

Yes it was a cleared bomb site opposite the Odeon New St on which a circus tent (Big Top) was pitched. I remember being taken to see the circus as a child, saw my first tiger there.
I also remember seeing some of the bomb sites around there with wisps of smoke still rising and the fire brigade still damping down, and seem to remember 'War Savings weeks' with a large Thermometer thing on the site showing how much had been saved.

That must have been a shocking sight as a child OldMohawk, to see all those buildings wrecked and smouldering away.

I still can't make out which road it is in the first pic in post 1. Does anyone out there know if it's. New St or High St? The two photos in that post join each other. Viv.

Viv
The darker looking building in the background is the Arden Hotel , which would make the one to the right of it (out of site ) the Odeon, in New St

Thanks Mike. That means, I think then that, the Arden and all to the left of that first photo, were cleared away. Expect it was to make way for the Rotunda etc. Just tried to do a Streetview tour, but kept finding myself in dark tunnels! More of this area seems to be pedestrianised than I remember! Viv.

I remember going to a display of wwII Items as a kid ,on the big top site just after the war, Two Man Sub ,Spitfire, Shot down ME109, any one else remember this .PLEASE DONOT TELL ME MY MINDS PLAYING ME TRICKS lol:0)
Somewere on this site there are pics of the BIG TOP Were old mohawk says.

Yes mossg you are right the left of Eorcester St is the now the site of the Rotundra & the odeon is just a block up New st as we look at this pic.

Big Top - it's where WH Smith is now on Union Street. From there to New Street. BHS is still inside there.

Abandoned Big Top in Birmingham - former Post Office by ell brown, on Flickr

Big Top, Birmingham - empty walkways - to New Street by ell brown, on Flickr

Big Top, Birmingham - empty walkways - steps to Union Passage by ell brown, on Flickr

The Post Office used to be in there - still signs of it.

Signs of a former Post Office in Union Passage - E II R 1958 by ell brown, on Flickr

Signs of a former Post Office in Union Passage - stamps and post box by ell brown, on Flickr

Recently they did up a section of it on High Street - where PC World Black is now.

New retail development on High Street, Birmingham - Coming soon a New Electrical Store by ell brown, on Flickr

Big Top, Birmingham - empty walkways - refurbished by ell brown, on Flickr

A few photos of the Big Top site, throughout the years from just before WW2.

Phil

af478f8c.jpg
91292e10.jpg

f1cd675c.jpg
6416d171.jpg

00d53706.jpg

Back