• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BigTop

Nice link Len thanks

DWK we would love to see a picture of your Dad the ringmaster!

good evening all
i have seen references to the big top site in various posts and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what and where it was and if possible a picture i have done a search but to no avail!
phil

good evening all
i have seen references to the big top site in various posts and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what and where it was and if possible a picture i have done a search but to no avail!
phil

Hi Phil
The "Big Top" site was opposite the Odeon Picture House in New Street.
during the war the shops were hit by german bombs and had to be demolished. the ground was cleared and they put up a circus tent and all the affected stores set up shop inside.
Hence The Big Top

Jerry

To anyone old enough to be familiar with the Big Top site on New Street around 1943, please advise me where exactly the Big Top tent was situated.
I know it was opposite the Odeon, and I think it's Primark now, but I need the EXACT spot (more or less) where the Big Top tent was (not the other rides),
and I know this all sounds daft BUT I'm coming up to Birmingham soon from Greenwich to find where my parents first met on CHRISTMAS EVE 1943.
And the old romantic in me dug out the newspaper for that night and the film showing on the very same ODEON in New Street was, wait for it!.......
THEY MET IN THE DARK starring James Mason. But my parents never knew that.
Exact spot for the big Tent anybody?

John
Judging from the attached photo, I estimate that it was approx in the marked area on google earth below

big_top_new_st_1943.jpg

position_of_big_top.jpg

Thanks Mikejee and Carolina.
Now i need to pinpoint the marked area on your Google Earth map.
I've got to stand there and say:This was the spot where my parents first met!" (Daft I know)

Can anyone tell me what is below the blob on the map - I'm guessing that it might be in Union Passage?
If it still exists.

Come on! we're getting closer.....planning to come up Thursday from Euston.
Thanks all
GJ

GreenwichJohn. Big Top Tent was located on the corner bordered by High Street and New Street opposite the Odeon Cinema. willey

How long was the circus there ? Was it occasional, used by various circuses? The caption and the fact it was named "Big Top" suggests it was more than for short-term temporary use. The name also stuck in the addresses when the shops were built on that land, e.g Boots the Chemists Big Top, Post Office Big Top .... Viv.

All part of the "Brighter Birmingham" plans in March 1943. Just what was needed after the years of war. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 8
Buildings to the right of each of these images would in time become the site of the "Big Top" following the November 1941 WW2 bombing. Initially it became a car park. Then it came into use for exhibitions and events under the Big Top as part of "Brighter Birmingham". Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

And by 1945, did caravans move onto the site ? This family did. Or were they part of the events (still ?) being held there ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Back