• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bierton road school tyardly

• Thread starter John Walter Woodfield
  • Start date
J

John Walter Woodfield

does anyone have any information or know the whereabouts of the large colourful Coat of Arms that was at one time above the entrance to Beirton Road Boys & Girls School? in the 1940s 50s I would also be interested to learn of the whereabouts of any of the photos that adorned the walls of the passages in the school.

I attended this school when it was a Secondary Modern in the early 1960's. I too would love to know where all the team photos etc in the main corridor on the ground floor have gone to. I hope they were not chucked when the school closed (early 1990's I think). If you gleen any information please let me know. Off to the second Bierton Road Reunion tonight 30.1.10, i.e. Friends Reunited. I am sure it will be a blast. The first one was good.

does anyone have any information or know the whereabouts of the large colourful Coat of Arms that was at one time above the entrance to Beirton Road Boys & Girls School? in the 1940s 50s I would also be interested to learn of the whereabouts of any of the photos that adorned the walls of the passages in the school.

I take it that this was Birmingham's coat of Arms and not a school specific one?

n September 1992 a new centre opened in a ground floor section of an old public building in Birmingham which used to be a school. When the school itself opened in 1928, it was known as Bierton Road Council School and 86 primary school leavers came from nearby Yardley Primary School to attend. Many local people from South Yardley still have memories of their school days from 1928 right up until the school closed in 1985.

One can only imagine the excitement and trepidation for both children and teachers alike on their first morning at this brand new building with it’s magnificent and resplendent Birmingham City Council coat of arms positioned over the entrance hall from the main playground.
We can but speculate whether the children gained inspiration for their educational studies from gazing up at the sculpted objects which are to this day displayed on either side of the heraldic shield on the city’s coat of arms, as they entered the school each morning or following play time.
https://www.thestirrer.co.uk/ready-and-able-2611091.html

Back