• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bierton Road Junior and Infants School

I

imperial

Anybody got pictures relating to Bierton Road Junior and Infants School, Yardley? I attended there throughout most of the 1950's.  ???

Hi Imperial,
My mother, Sylvia Bayliss attended Bierton Secondary Modern in the 1950's. She said it was on Bierton road, Yardley. Is that the same school as you have mentioned? I will try to get more information out of her, about the school i.e. headmaster, teacher's names, etc

Bierton Road

Hello there!
My husband David attended that school around about that time. He was born in 1944. He was born in Flavells Lane in Yardley off the Hob Moor Road. Hope we get to see some pics but sorry we haven't kept any.
Best wishes
Lynda

Thanks for replying

Well I was beginning to think I was the only one who went to Bierton Rd School. The secondary school shared the same site as the junior and infants. I only attended the junior and infants, then we moved out of the area. I lived in Wembley Grove off Hobmoor Rd.
When I first started school there at the age of 5 , the Headmaster was Mr Wise, he was replaced by Mr Allan or Allen, who nobody liked. He didn't seem to like kids either. The teachers I can remember (from the 1950's) are, Miss Brown, Mr Roberts, Mrs Roberts, Mrs Ragster?, Mr Podmore (a great teacher, everybody liked him).
Jog any memories?

Hi

My sister Miss Pitchford who became Mrs Raxster ( Spooner. good try) was a teacher at Bierton Road in the 50's. She loved being there, it was at that school she did her teaching practice, and later after consultation with Mr Wise the Head she took on a permanant position when her teacning course was over. When she married her husband became a teacher and after the sad death of Mr Wise, she no longer felt at ease in the school and gave in to the hankering she had always had to return to her beloved Shropshire. It is there that her husband eventually became Chairman of the County Council, and was given the OBE for his services to education and to the county.

Sadly, Vera is stricken with Alzheimers, her husband died this year and she is in a care home in Madely Shropshire. If only she were' compus mentus' I know she would be thrilled to know someone remembers her, and I hope, well. Mariep

Just had a quick check on Friendsreunited.co.uk for Bierton Road Schools.
If you access the site and on the search just put in the name Bierton.
Then the two Yardley schools will come up. Both of them have lots of info
and pics. If you type the full names of the schools they won't appear...at least on my search they didn't...Bierton it is.

I taught in Bierton Road Secondary School from January to July 1963, and have retained a couple of team photographs from that time, which I will publish if anyuone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
BIERTON COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Yardley.(27) Bierton Rd. Council Sch. opened 1928(1) by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 800 SM, JM. Classrooms in huts provided 1928. New JI block, accom. 576, opened 1929 and original blocks used for SB, SG.(21) SM from Church Rd. Council Sch. transferred here 1941. S depts. became separate schs. 1945 (see next 2 schs.).(21) Name changed 1954. Accom. 1955: 14 classrooms, hall. Closed 1959 and replaced by Blakesley Cty. Primary Sch.(28). History of Bierton Rd School no photo, still looking. Len.

I taught in Bierton Road Secondary School from January to July 1963, and have retained a couple of team photographs from that time, which I will publish if anyuone is interested.

I wounder did you teach art and chess during your stay

I also went to bierton school left 63/64 i was in the school chess team that won every game is there any one else
john pattison was also a meber of this team

les barrett

No, I didn't take the chess team, being more interested in sport. The photographs I have are of a Cricket team and a junior Rugby team. I played both sports myself, so I was very happy to be involved. I don't remember names, except one, a boy called George Washington - an easy name to remember!

I played junior soccer for Leigh Road about 48/49 and we had a super team winning every game during the season...and then we played Bierton Road possibly in a cup semi final and we lost 1-0. A sad day indeed.

No, I didn't take the chess team, being more interested in sport. The photographs I have are of a Cricket team and a junior Rugby team. I played both sports myself, so I was very happy to be involved. I don't remember names, except one, a boy called George Washington - an easy name to remember!

thank you our art teacher at that time was also Wallace he teached Art and maths
was he there the same time as you were you related to him
cheers

was there a Mr Wallers teaching when you were there

re: Miss Pitchford later to become Mrs Raxster.

My sister Vera taught at Bierton Road Junior and Infants in the fifties.

She spent many happy years there particularly during the time of Mr Wise the Headmaster.

Unfortunately she died last week on the 17th October after several years as an Alzheimer's sufferer.

She was a teacher all her life and she went from Bierton Road to teach in Shropshire.

Anyone with memories of her?

I would love to hear from you.Mariep

Hi Mariep,
First of all may I convey my condolences to you?

Mrs Raxter was married during the time that she was my teacher, (about 1955?).

I remember her as being very popular, and our class loved her. She used to make up words to songs which we thought were funny.

Mr Wise was a nice man and used to come around to the class and tell us a story. He had a xylophone that he brought around with him. He was replaced as Headmaster by a Mr Alan - and nobody liked him, he was a very unpleasant man. I remember when our teacher Mr Podmore was away, we had Mr Alan take us. He was horrible.

I also remember Miss Brown, Mr & Mrs Roberts, Mr Fowler.

spooner

From the 50's to the 60's - I attended Bierton Road Secondary School between 1961 and 1966. Initially the school was split with the boys one end and the girls the other. Around 1963 the school was mixed and Ian Carmichael became the Headmaster. He was a short man with a dream to make a difference, and he did. The teachers I remember are: Miss Whittaker, Mr Black, Mr James, Mrs Blake, Mr Agar. Can't remember the art teacher (he was Welsh I think), the deputy headmaster with an array of canes to beat you with (thin, medium and thick), nor the teacher who took metal and woodwork, and organised boxing events. NB On the Friends Reunited Website there is a Bierton Road Secondary School Reunion on 30th January 2010, 7.30pm at the Spice Island Buffet, Coventry Road, Sheldon, Birmingham (it used to be Harry Ramsdens on your right hand side driving out of city). Dining is optional at £10 each. The classes of 1965, 1966 and 1967 are meeting if anyone is interested. It should be a great night.

Just unearthed a Bierton Road school newspaper dated 1964. The teachers listed were: Mr Carmichael (Head), Mr Garrett (Dep Head), Mrs Blake (Snr Mistress), Mr Agar, Mr Boardman, Mr Conacher, Mr James, Mr Roberts, Mr Wallers, Mrs Harrison, Miss Mills, Miss Whitaker, Mrs Williams, Mr Ashen, Mr Bowles, Mr Griffiths, Mr Lanyon, Mr Stubbs, Mrs Copson, Miss Kurczewska, Mrs Paulton, Mrs Wightman, Mr Black, Mr Broady, Mr Higgins, Mr Protheroe, Mr Tindley, Mrs Hardwick, Miss Lavender, Mrs Stokes, Miss Williams. Enjoy!!!

Back