• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bierton Road Junior and Infants School

Re: Bierton Road

As your husband Dave was born in 1944 we must have been in the same year, as it's my year of birth. My teachers were Mr. Ryan , Mr. Brighton , Mr. Edwards and Mr. West - a despicable man! The head was Mr. Carmichael who,I believe was a Spitfire pilot in the Second World War.

Hi,
These are all wonderful stories to read.
Does anyone remember a Sylvia Rose Bayliss (my mom)? She attended Bierton at the end of the war, on into the 1950's. She was born in 1938.

Thanks,
Kevin

I suddenly got thinking about my early school days at Bierton Road junior and infants school. My early memories are of the head master, Mr Wise, a grey haired gentleman. I remember his kindness when he used to come into our classroom and tell us stories. As a 5 year old I was very timid and dreaded school but I always remember Mr wise. sadly after I had been at school for about 12 months Mr Wise passed away, pupils and staff alike were very sad. I remember that a wooden reading stand that was used in assembly was was bought and a white plaque was fixed to the front with his name. I started school in I think 1954. My teachers were Mrs Duffield and Miss Ingram.
I remember the new head was Mr J.B Allen. He was a totally different head and the children were in fear of him, such a contrast to his predecessor Mr Wise. I stayed at the school till 1959 when the infant and Junior schools closed and we moved to the brand new school called Blakesley hall, built on part of the park that we called the "Dell" but I believe is now called Marlborough park in Richmond road. My teacher for that one year was a lovely woman called Patricia PICKERING.
My next school was back at Bierton road secondary modern boys, and the girls were in another section of the same building but separate. We had some great teachers lead by Mr Victor Carmichael. He taught me so much and was a man I admired for his forthright views. Coincidentally his previous post was at Ada road school as head where he taught my uncle. I well remember all the names mentioned by Laurabelle and they brought back some happy memories at my time at the Bierton road schools.

I attended Bierton Secondary School 1955-1959.
Mr. Carmichael,whom I also knew as 'Skip,'was also our scoutmaster.I think 'Skip'was from his time in the RAF during the war.Mr.Williams and Mr.Thomas (I don't think you mentioned him)also took us for rugby,and I was in the team approx.1957/8.
Mr.Ashen taught woodwork.I liked Mr.James,the English teacher;in fact,he inspired me to also become a teacher of English. Mr.James,the metalwork teacher,however,was a very unpleasant man.The most despicable of all,however,was Mr.West,who was a bully,delighted in caning as many boys as possible in a day-he once complained that he'd only managed to cane eight in one day.On that occasion,I remember him saying with a malicious grin,"I've only managed to cane a few this morning - let's see what I can do."
So, mixed memories of Bierton.

Your right Simply read, Mr Carmichael was know as "Skip" he ran the schools senior scout group and was our skipper.I well remember Mr Thomas and Mr Williams, they took us for rugby and ran the school rugby teams. If you access "friends Reunited" and look up Bierton road school you can access school pictures including various team photographs.Mr Thomas introduced me to rugby and I was in all the Rugby year teams from 1960 till 1965. Both well respected proud Welshmen.The woodwork teacher was Mr Ashen, aptly named. Mr James was a gentleman and taught me English, a great teacher. My metalwork teacher was Mr Connacher, a very nice man. Mr JAMES and Mr WEST must have left by the time I arrived in 1960. All in all I had great memories of my time at Bierton road and think it made me the man I am today.

QUOTE="Laurabelle, post: 280200, member: 5474"]From the 50's to the 60's - I attended Bierton Road Secondary School between 1961 and 1966. Initially the school was split with the boys one end and the girls the other. Around 1963 the school was mixed and Ian Carmichael became the Headmaster. He was a short man with a dream to make a difference, and he did. The teachers I remember are: Miss Whittaker, Mr Black, Mr James, Mrs Blake, Mr Agar. Can't remember the art teacher (he was Welsh I think), the deputy headmaster with an array of canes to beat you with (thin, medium and thick), nor the teacher who took metal and woodwork, and organised boxing events. NB On the Friends Reunited Website there is a Bierton Road Secondary School Reunion on 30th January 2010, 7.30pm at the Spice Island Buffet, Coventry Road, Sheldon, Birmingham (it used to be Harry Ramsdens on your right hand side driving out of city). Dining is optional at £10 each. The classes of 1965, 1966 and 1967 are meeting if anyone is interested. It should be a great night.[/QUOTE]
Just unearthed a Bierton Road school newspaper dated 1964. The teachers listed were: Mr Carmichael (Head), Mr Garrett (Dep Head), Mrs Blake (Snr Mistress), Mr Agar, Mr Boardman, Mr Conacher, Mr James, Mr Roberts, Mr Wallers, Mrs Harrison, Miss Mills, Miss Whitaker, Mrs Williams, Mr Ashen, Mr Bowles, Mr Griffiths, Mr Lanyon, Mr Stubbs, Mrs Copson, Miss Kurczewska, Mrs Paulton, Mrs Wightman, Mr Black, Mr Broady, Mr Higgins, Mr Protheroe, Mr Tindley, Mrs Hardwick, Miss Lavender, Mrs Stokes, Miss Williams. Enjoy!!!
....... I don't suppose you remember the school moto was it the same as b `ham council be prepared or was that the scouts I remember the hammer and a book we used to say that meant get working or else hee hee I would like to see school badge I cant quite remember what it looked like if any one knows pse let me know

Hi, there are lots of pictures on the friends reunited website, including recent reunions. Recently I set off to find Vic Carmichael's grave (Headmaster in the 60's) located near Tenbury Wells. I also tracked down his daughter in the same area who was very pleased to talk about her dad. Vic retired early because he got fed up of the Education Committee at Birmingham City Council telling him how to run the school. He retired in 1969 and bought a small cottage on a parcel of land in a quiet location. This was the area where he used to take the Caneo Club. The cottage was demolished some years ago and a new house has now been built. The current owner of the new house used to live on the Hob Moor Road. Small world eh!!! Before Bierton Road Vic was headmaster at Ada Road School, Bordesley, which was about 4 streets from Greenway Street where I was born. Again too spooky for words. A man with vision who succeeded in bringing the school up to date.
Hi Laurabelle (and others), when I googled Bierton Road School and found this forum I was very moved by what you said about my granddad, Victor Carmichael. He died when I was 20 and had had a stroke some years earlier. I think some of you probably knew more of the man than his family. We all knew how dedicated he was to his school. Sadly he wasn't as close to his own children and I think his professional life took precedence. It's good to read of the side of his nature expressed here. By the way, his daughter, Barbara, has very recently become terminally ill and will be looked after with palliative care.

I attended Bierton Secondary School 1955-1959.
Mr. Carmichael,whom I also knew as 'Skip,'was also our scoutmaster.I think 'Skip'was from his time in the RAF during the war.Mr.Williams and Mr.Thomas (I don't think you mentioned him)also took us for rugby,and I was in the team approx.1957/8.
Mr.Ashen taught woodwork.I liked Mr.James,the English teacher;in fact,he inspired me to also become a teacher of English. Mr.James,the metalwork teacher,however,was a very unpleasant man.The most despicable of all,however,was Mr.West,who was a bully,delighted in caning as many boys as possible in a day-he once complained that he'd only managed to cane eight in one day.On that occasion,I remember him saying with a malicious grin,"I've only managed to cane a few this morning - let's see what I can do."
So, mixed memories of Bierton.
'Skip's second son, Graham Carmichael, like you also became a teacher - he became known as 'Spike.' The name followed him through all the schools he ever worked in.....

Hi Laurabelle (and others), when I googled Bierton Road School and found this forum I was very moved by what you said about my granddad, Victor Carmichael. He died when I was 20 and had had a stroke some years earlier. I think some of you probably knew more of the man than his family. We all knew how dedicated he was to his school. Sadly he wasn't as close to his own children and I think his professional life took precedence. It's good to read of the side of his nature expressed here. By the way, his daughter, Barbara, has very recently become terminally ill and will be looked after with palliative care.
I went to Bierton road he was the best teacher and friend any one could have loved the guy

The school seems to have been strong on sports.

Nutt December 1951 (from Birmingham Daily Gazette)
Foster February 1958 (from Sports Argus)
Crump January 1962 (from Sports Argus)

Viv

Attachments

• 341974E8-C176-4103-8F0F-CF11E0DD78C9.jpeg
    341974E8-C176-4103-8F0F-CF11E0DD78C9.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2A369687-2317-4045-8E53-357C5C0F3AD4.jpeg
    2A369687-2317-4045-8E53-357C5C0F3AD4.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4178DAA7-6CA0-4C0F-A945-C31BEF3030C7.jpeg
    4178DAA7-6CA0-4C0F-A945-C31BEF3030C7.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 8
Bierton Road

Hello there!
My husband David attended that school around about that time. He was born in 1944. He was born in Flavells Lane in Yardley off the Hob Moor Road. Hope we get to see some pics but sorry we haven't kept any.
Best wishes
Lynda
As both your husband and I were born in 1944, it’s possible we were in the same class ! I recall David Smart and David Cartwright- at least, I think I’ve got the first names correct. Certainly I know I’m correct with the surnames.
In those days, boys couldn’t step over the demarcation line for boys and onto the girls playground area !
Headteacher was Mr. Carmichael, who provided me with a reference to take up teacher training shortly before he retired. He found him a friendly, likeable man, who also organised the scout group at school.
Mr. James English; Mr James, metalwork- a detestable man who, I also discovered after leaving Bierton had blamed me for misspelling my own name, when he’d made the mistake ! I had a different surname in those days- ‘Higginbottom.’
Mr. Ryan, maths. Mr. Fryar; Mr. Thomas history and rugby team ; Messrs: Edwards (2 of that name); Rose; Lanyon -science; Brighton geography ; Richmond music- I felt sorry for the man because, whilst he was knowledgeable, clearly keen to teach a greater variety of music than Harris, also music, he wasn’t able to control the disruptive students- of whom there were many, and didn’t like resorting to the cane ; Gooch; Mohr, and the one every student hated - West- a sadist, and the one teacher who turned me off school for a year; punching some boys in the chest, caning for writing the wrong date (my error); humiliating another over his physical appearance and, I suspect, after one incident I wouldn’t want to report on the internet, perverted. A fairly tough student was traumatised by him. I dearly wish, as a reasonably successful teacher, I could confront him. Well, enough said about him unless I refer to a Shakespearean insult ( not so clean!) or Ethiopian- a clean insult but very appropriate (I have Ethiopian family connections) and have lived there. My work also took me to mainland Greece, where I still have close ties.
Bierton prepared me for a later enjoyable career. So, there were positives. And thank you very much, Mr. Carmichael for being a great headteacher and helpful man !
I still have photos of the school choir and rugby team, and I know David (?) Smart was in the rugby team and, possibly, the school choir.

Hi ! I was sorry to see Vic ( ‘Skip’ as group scoutmaster) was not so close to his own family.
I knew he retired to Tunbridge Wells, because in replying to me he informed me of that and made a veiled reference to the fact that he’d ‘had enough.’
I also recall him mentioning that he’d been a navigator in WW11, when teaching us scouts about the points of the compass and how to read an ordnance survey map. After seeing me successfully wrestle (I’d been challenged by about four of our scouts, who’d all taken me on simultaneously), your grandfather then challenged me! I was beating him, but a cigarette touching one of my forearms resulted in him being ‘the winner’ ! Don’t worry- he didn’t do it in a sadistic way: it was really quite funny .
I do hope you’ll see and reply to my comments, because I’d love to ‘chat’ with people like yourself, who clearly knew the man from a different perspective .

As both your husband and I were born in 1944, it’s possible we were in the same class ! I recall David Smart and David Cartwright- at least, I think I’ve got the first names correct. Certainly I know I’m correct with the surnames.
In those days, boys couldn’t step over the demarcation line for boys and onto the girls playground area !
Headteacher was Mr. Carmichael, who provided me with a reference to take up teacher training shortly before he retired. He found him a friendly, likeable man, who also organised the scout group at school.
Mr. James English; Mr James, metalwork- a detestable man who, I also discovered after leaving Bierton had blamed me for misspelling my own name, when he’d made the mistake ! I had a different surname in those days- ‘Higginbottom.’
Mr. Ryan, maths. Mr. Fryar; Mr. Thomas history and rugby team ; Messrs: Edwards (2 of that name); Rose; Lanyon -science; Brighton geography ; Richmond music- I felt sorry for the man because, whilst he was knowledgeable, clearly keen to teach a greater variety of music than Harris, also music, he wasn’t able to control the disruptive students- of whom there were many, and didn’t like resorting to the cane ; Gooch; Mohr, and the one every student hated - West- a sadist, and the one teacher who turned me off school for a year; punching some boys in the chest, caning for writing the wrong date (my error); humiliating another over his physical appearance and, I suspect, after one incident I wouldn’t want to report on the internet, perverted. A fairly tough student was traumatised by him. I dearly wish, as a reasonably successful teacher, I could confront him. Well, enough said about him unless I refer to a Shakespearean insult ( not so clean!) or Ethiopian- a clean insult but very appropriate (I have Ethiopian family connections) and have lived there. My work also took me to mainland Greece, where I still have close ties.
Bierton prepared me for a later enjoyable career. So, there were positives. And thank you very much, Mr. Carmichael for being a great headteacher and helpful man !
I still have photos of the school choir and rugby team, and I know David (?) Smart was in the rugby team and, possibly, the school choir.

Hi I went to Bierton Rd for a few years we came from Edgbaston, and lived in the Ring off Hobmoor Rd, our Headmistress was Miss Newman, who had a resemblance to Margaret Rutherford, I put my hand up to be a monitor and was told I needed to be of a calmer disposition LOL, for being naughty my punishment was to take a week to learn a long poem, then stand in front of Miss Newman and recite the whole poem, I can see the teachers faces but hard to put a name that will pop up if I think hard. Nice school, good teachers.

Bierton Road

Hello there!
My husband David attended that school around about that time. He was born in 1944. He was born in Flavells Lane in Yardley off the Hob Moor Road. Hope we get to see some pics but sorry we haven't kept any.
Best wishes
Lynda
Mr. Ryan, maths. Mr. Fryar; Mr. Thomas history and rugby team ; Messrs: Edwards (2 of that name); Rose; Lanyon -science; Brighton geography ; Richmond music- I felt sorry for the man because, whilst he was knowledgeable, clearly keen to teach a greater variety of music than Harris, also music, he wasn’t able to control the disruptive students- of whom there were many, and didn’t like resorting to the cane ; Gooch; Mohr, and the one every student hated - a sadist, and the one teacher who turned me off school for a year; punching some boys in the chest, caning for writing the wrong date (my error); humiliating another over his physical appearance and, I suspect, after one incident I wouldn’t want to report on the internet. A fairly tough student was traumatised by him. I dearly wish, as a reasonably successful teacher, I could confront him. Well, enough said about him unless I refer to a Shakespearean insult ( not so clean!) or Ethiopian- a clean insult but very appropriate (I have Ethiopian family connections) and have lived there. My work also took me to mainland Greece, where I still have close ties.

Appreciate Quote Reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I would put the Bierton School scarf, bit moth worn but to those who went to the school it might bring back some memory's.

Attachments

• Bierton Scarf  22.11.2021 001.JPG
    Bierton Scarf 22.11.2021 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Bierton Scarf  22.11.2021 002.JPG
    Bierton Scarf 22.11.2021 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Bierton Road

Hello there!
Best wishes
Lynda
Hello,
My name is michael Bryan (mick) I was born in wash lane in 1944 and attended bierton rd school since the age of 5.The senior boys 1st year was annexed to church rd school the teachers were Mr West and Mr William's and along with my mate Trevor Livesey were the first 2 boys to be caned for talking in class, not the last time
Mr William's introduced us to Rugby.I loved it.,and later had a few games for old Biertonians.Not too sure of all the teachers but I do remember Vic Carmichael the head, Mr Ashen woodwork ,Mr Lanyon science he had a cane he named Patsy.
A few of the boys I remember were ,Mickey north lived in deakins rd,trevor livesey who lived in Flavells lane,Roy High,Brian Lunn david cross, and others.I later lived in Holder Rd for about 15 years in a prefab, after getting married in 1966 we bought our first house in Flora Rd.Me my wife Iris and then 2 very small boys emigrated to NZ in 1974, and now live in Auckland.Incidently I played Rugby here also back in the day.It was nice to be able to join this forum,if anyone knows of any other Bryan's I would like to contact them.Cheers for now Mike Bryan

Just unearthed a Bierton Road school newspaper dated 1964. The teachers listed were: Mr Carmichael (Head), Mr Garrett (Dep Head), Mrs Blake (Snr Mistress), Mr Agar, Mr Boardman, Mr Conacher, Mr James, Mr Roberts, Mr Wallers, Mrs Harrison, Miss Mills, Miss Whitaker, Mrs Williams, Mr Ashen, Mr Bowles, Mr Griffiths, Mr Lanyon, Mr Stubbs, Mrs Copson, Miss Kurczewska, Mrs Paulton, Mrs Wightman, Mr Black, Mr Broady, Mr Higgins, Mr Protheroe, Mr Tindley, Mrs Hardwick, Miss Lavender, Mrs Stokes, Miss Williams. Enjoy!!!
Mr Conacher was the metalwork teacher and Mr Ashen was the wood work teacher and also the boxing coach too. I was at Britton road too, Mr Williams was the Welsh teacher who taught English and doubled for maths. Mr Blake was the cane expert until he went too far with me and I snook into his cane closet and broke every single one of them lol.

Yes, I remember them all, most of them I remember very well. I was a regular boxer with Mr Ashen after school but, during lunch I did basketball and a few nights a week, the judo. It was a full life but, it was never boring lol. I sometimes think back to those days, part of the foundation of my life as it were, it’s a very long way from where I am now, living in retirement in Thailand lol.

Back