• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bier Keller

Re: BEER CELLAR ( KELLAR )

My sons and his freinds got kicked out for dancing on the tables despite their protest that that is what you did in Bier Kellers.

Hi Gary you made me laugh with "Bottles of Newkie Brown". This plan is spot on, only one thing im not behind the bar. Few names you might remember Chris Marks, Big Phil, Steve Cartwright, Ann and Susan (cant remember their last name) they are twins, Julian the owner, Bob the manager and Terry Woolaway (Robert Plant look alike). Have tried to post photos, will get the kids help. How did we get all into a small room?.

Hi cartwright
Please, please post photos. I'd absolutely love to see them. Bogarts was unique with an amazing atmosphere. No pub or bar i've been in since comes close. I suppose being alot younger helps. I always look twice when i walk past the location today.
Best wishes. gary.

Hi guys
How many of you recall the one time bier kella at the top of new street in the sixty,s
That where you went down below the steps and all the benches was played out for you
Well I have just tapped into the Birmingham mail news page and there is a large picture of the inside of the old
Bier kella with its tables and benches , and the mail as just Announced they are bringing back
And rebuilding another Bier kella. Is that good news or what
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Re: Bier kella

hi alan oh yes i remember it...went there a few times...would love to see a photo of the inside but i cant seem to see it on the birmingham mail site

lyn

I remember the name very well but not sure I ever went in there. Where was it? Viv.

Hi Viv

IIRC, it was in Needless Alley. I went in there quite a few times - I used to (and still do) really like German beer - do you remember when you could get Dortmunder Union and Kronen at some curry houses? Like so much else, a thing of the past, these days .

needless alley.jpg

(Clue: behind the lamp post)

Cheers

S23

Last edited:

Thanks Speedy. This must be it, on the right by the lamp post. Don't remember going in there but remember drinking Loewenbrau beer. Think it was more lager than beer, a bit fizzy. Viv.
image.jpeg

I know on several saturday nights we did go to a bier kellar, but singing ein prosit every few minutes got boring so we stopped going.

Being a bit pedantic here but if there is a spelling mistake in the title of the thread can it be corrected as otherwise it might be missed in subsequent searches. Unless the name of the establishment in Needless Alley was called the Bier Kella it should of course be Bier Keller or even as one word, Bierkeller. Thanks. Dave.

I've amended the title Dave, it seems to have officially been 'Bier Keller'. And I've merged it with another earlier thread (title was given as Beer Cellar on the old thread). Now all under one roof! So some earlier memories are covered in posts #1 - 23. Viv.

Last edited:
PIC of Bogarts from their face book page Bier keller down stairs, rock venue/pub top floor went to both, Back then.Bogarts new st.jpg You can just make out bogarts before the yellow sign. Michael.

Back