• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bier Keller

johnedward

master brummie
BEER CELLAR ( KELLAR )

IS MY IMAGINATION PLAYING TRICKS OR DID I REALLY GO TO A GERMAN BEER CELLAR IN BIRMINGHAM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE 70'S / 80'S DOWN STAIRS LONG TABLES AND STEINS OF LAGERS OR BEERS. I CAN'T BE SURE IT WAS EVEN IN BRUM CAN SOMEONE OUT THERE HELP THANK YOU
JOHN

Re: BEER CELLAR ( KELLAR )

Wasn't it part of the Imperial Hotel in Temple St. :-\

you certainly did JohnEdward. I along with my mates was a regular visitor to the one in Needless Alley. Near to the entrance was a small stage and a german band often played old time hits while the youngsters sang along out of our heads on cheap larger!! It was a great place to be on a Saturday evening

There was one in Needless Alley and the other was under Bogarts. I went to the one in needless alley regularly in the 80's with my sister. Thursday was the best night for stag and hen do's.

Fergie whats this about Sisters I use to go to the Elbow Room with my Sister in the 70s :)

I know of the Elbow Room but I have never been there. The Beer Kellar in Needless alley was called Mr Bills proprieter was Bill.

IS MY IMAGINATION PLAYING TRICKS OR DID I REALLY GO TO A GERMAN BEER CELLAR IN BIRMINGHAM IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE 70'S / 80'S DOWN STAIRS LONG TABLES AND STEINS OF LAGERS OR BEERS. I CAN'T BE SURE IT WAS EVEN IN BRUM CAN SOMEONE OUT THERE HELP THANK YOU
JOHN

Hi John

You did not imagine it, the place was called bogarts in new street opposite the old woolworths, (down from the town hall) it was a great place but as far as I can remember due to there been no escape routes incase of fire it had to be closed.
Also upstairs was the place where heavy rock was played and that was equally as good...

Ah the good old days

Take care

Pete

Early 70s there was one under Bogarts, Sold Dortmunder Union beer, strong lager with a texture like half frozen jubbly, a lot colder ( and stronger) than beer in pubs at the time.

Had a band with Gill Gordon in it, Accordin and Banjos, that wore lederhosen and trilby hats, and played stuff like Knees up mother brown and George Formby stuff, apart from shoutin "Ein Prost" now and again made no attempt to act German.

Great stuff !

Was'nt it called the BierKeller? There is a Bierkeller in Exeter St. Not the same as the one you're on about.

Terry

In the 70's there was also a 'Bier Kellar' in Needless Alley. Just seen the previous posts and this has already been mentioned. this hangover is worse than I thought!

They seemed to be in fashion for a while. Didnt one room in the Drakes Drum become one for a while ?

Funny thing is, bars I can remember from Germany in the 70s were nothing like it, more like UK social clubs. I wsas quite dissapointed. Prhaps we were the wrong part of the country.

They seemed to be in fashion for a while. Didnt one room in the Drakes Drum become one for a while ?

Speaking of The Drake's Drum, do you remember the large flaming torch outside the pub that was burning natural gas? I wonder what the gas bill would be today for that?

Occasionally used a Beer Keller in a cellar in Cannon St opposite the back door of Yates's in the early 60's. It was always empty no wonder at 10/6d for a pint and a half in a Stein. A pint of bitter was less than 2 bob at the time.

Phil

Now Bogarts upstairs to the beer kellar was absolutely brilliant. Best place for rock and fun. Rock and hippy chicks dancing on stage to Free Bird and Zepplin - forever etched in my mind.

Good days at Bogards i work there was a few months, that is where i met my ex husband. I also went to the golden eagle, still have a lot photos of those days, and people that when to Bogards. Thursdays in the beer Kellar was the night for hen and stag nights, i also had my hen night there, and i can still remember every one standing on the tables and falling of them. Good days love to have them back. :)

hi cartwright and welcome to the forum..i can remember going to the beer kellar and bogarts..unfortunately i did not use the golden eagle..happy days indeed..would love to see any photos you have...

lyn:)

Cartwright and Lyn,

Bogarts and Golden Eagle were certainly formative times for many. The same faces and music - brilliant. There was a resident DJ there for years, always ended the night with same song or medley of songs - or is that my imagination. Anyone remember the songs.... Cartwright, it would be fantastic if you could find the time to post some photos. Though it was before digital cameras so may be difficult.

I never went down to the bier kellar.

I remember Bogarts and I want it back! Great times in there. Was the DJ called Martin? A really nice guy. A night in Bogarts was like an event man.
I too, never went down into the beer keller.

Back