• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bicycle Polo

Lady Penelope

master brummie
scan0004.jpg

This is a photograph of my parents' wedding in May 1939 (Bank Holiday Monday as they and most of their guests were shop workers).

This shows Dad's bicycle polo team forming the guard of honour and I wondered if anyone knew anything about the sport and whether it was still being played. I seem to remember seeing it on the television some time ago but that was abroad.

He also played football for Erdington Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bicycle Pole

What a brilliant photo they all look so happy, especially your Mom what a lovely bride. I remember seeing bicycle polo on the TV but it was an old film.

Smashing photo. (this is what I got off the net)

1890s - Game invented in Ireland
1901 - First int. match Ireland -v- England.
1908 - Cycle polo a demonstration sport at the Olympics.

1930s - It actually reached its peak in Britain - it even had regional leagues.

1940's - Sadly World War II marked the beginning of the demise in Britain, but still played today apparentely.
The sport managed to hang on in France with league championships held regularly.
Still going well in India, US and Canada and France.

(Thx to wiki for dates)

Last edited:
Thanks Wendy and Stephen00020002. It is lovely photo, I think they were determined to be happy as the war was coming. Mom's brothers were in WW1 and husband and in-laws in WW2. Awful. They all came back but lives were changed for ever.

Stephen, I think India was the place that I saw it being played on TV. I have trouble balancing on a bike without a mallet in my hand and having to swipe at a small ball. I'd spend more time falling off than actually playing. Unlike my Dad I was never sporty. I can still see him pedalling down Court Lane with his golf clubs over his shoulder how he managed that I'll never know.

Thanks again both,

View attachment 84521

This is a photograph of my parents' wedding in May 1939 (Bank Holiday Monday as they and most of their guests were shop workers).

This shows Dad's bicycle polo team forming the guard of honour and I wondered if anyone knew anything about the sport and whether it was still being played. I seem to remember seeing it on the television some time ago but that was abroad.

He also played football for Erdington Wednesday.
Hi
the photo is of interest to me. My Dad played Bicycle Polo for this team ( The Clarion?) my Uncle is in the photo. I have a lot of information if you are interested. Carl Chin did an article in the press about my Dad

Wow! Welcome to the forum Rob1. Yes please, I'd love more information - do you want to put it on the forum or would it be better to email me? I'm so excited! I'll send you a private message (it will come up at the top of the page next to the envelope in case you hadn't picked up on that yet). Look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
This forum never ceases to amaze me. I put my parents' photograph on in 2013 (I would have said a couple of years ago but I think that's an age thing....). As you can see I had a great response from Rob and we have discovered that not only did our fathers play together, they also worked together at the Co-op Grocery shop on Stockland Green. We're busy emailing each other trying to fill in gaps. I'm having a great time - so thank you Forum!

This is a postcard put on the forum by Viv. It shows the Co-op mentioned above.

Attachments

• Stockland Green.jpeg
    Stockland Green.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 11
As the holder of the archives of the Midland Cycling & Athletic Club I am always browsing the books going back to 1895.
I have noticed a lot of articles about the clubs Polo Team during the nineteen thirties plus a team photograph. It appears that the club supplied players for international matches & also the team manager. They played on a pitch based on Catherine De Barnes, nr Solihull when at home

Back