• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bickenhill/Elmdon School 1960’s

BettyB

Hello,

can anyone help me....

my mother attended Bickenhill school in the 1960’s which was situated down the drive by the side of the church (St Peters). It only had about 17 pupils in and adjoined the headteacher, Mrs Burgess. House. She was there when the school closed and remembered somebody came and took lots of pictures, also there was a registry that dated back hundreds of years. She has tried local libraries, the church and records office but nobody seems to have seen any of the photographs.
is there anyone that may have any information or pictures of this school?

many thanks

Hello, only just seen your question on the forum. I attended Bickenhill Cof E School from 1957 to 1963. I do not have any photos of the actual school building but do have two photos of the pupilsBickenhill.jpg. The top one was taken around 1960 at Parents Day dancing around the Maypole. The other photo shows the entire school aged 5 to 11 taken in 1962. I can name all the people in the photos if you are interested.

Hi Peasmoulde,

Thank you for reply, sorry it took me so long to reply back. If you can remember the names that would be really useful. I have shown my mom and she thinks that she may well be the girl at the bottom right hand corner. Thank You once again.

Hello, only just seen your question on the forum. I attended Bickenhill Cof E School from 1957 to 1963. I do not have any photos of the actual school building but do have two photos of the pupilsView attachment 170073. The top one was taken around 1960 at Parents Day dancing around the Maypole. The other photo shows the entire school aged 5 to 11 taken in 1962. I can name all the people in the photos if you are interested.
Thank you for your reply. Having searched my memory I think the names are as follows:-
Back row L to R Robert Bedford, Nicholas Hughes, Charles Pearce, Malcolm Pratt, Susan and Janis Clamp
Front row L to R Gillian Saunders, Robert Fleetwood, Dennis Collier, Heather Saunders, Eileen or Edna Moss, Jaqueline (not sure), Edna or Eileen Moss and I think Denise Collier but not 100% sure.
Hope this is some help to you.

Thank you for your reply. Having searched my memory I think the names are as follows:-
Back row L to R Robert Bedford, Nicholas Hughes, Charles Pearce, Malcolm Pratt, Susan and Janis Clamp
Front row L to R Gillian Saunders, Robert Fleetwood, Dennis Collier, Heather Saunders, Eileen or Edna Moss, Jaqueline (not sure), Edna or Eileen Moss and I think Denise Collier but not 100% sure.
Hope this is some help to you.
Hiya,

Dennis Collier is mixed up as he is Colin Dennis. mom seems to think there was a Linda Pratt after Heather Saunders, Jaqueline is Carol Barns then Eileen Moss then my mom Susan Heath at the end.

Hiya,

Dennis Collier is mixed up as he is Colin Dennis. mom seems to think there was a Linda Pratt after Heather Saunders, Jaqueline is Carol Barns then Eileen Moss then my mom Susan Heath at the end.
Excellent memory your mum has. I had just had a memory recall and realised that the name was Susan Heath. I think your mum lived at the bottom of Elmdon Lane by the hangars. I think her father was Charles Heath an Airport Fireman but I may be wrong. One person missing from the photo was Wayne Bridgwater, his Uncle lived at Elmdon Farm in Elmdon Lane. I am Charles Pearce in the photo and lived in one the houses on the A45 Coventry Road at the end of the airport runway, photo belowBickenhillJune67.jpg

Would i be correct in thinking that at one point Elmdon Lane used to continue across to the
village of Marston Green, presumably before the aerodrome was originally developed?

Would i be correct in thinking that at one point Elmdon Lane used to continue across to the
village of Marston Green, presumably before the aerodrome was originally developed?
Yes you are correct, Elmdon Lane went from the A45 Coventry Road to Marston Green. It was closed around the late 1930's when work started on the new Elmdon Aerodrome.

Hi Charles, yes you are correct about mom, and my grandad Charlie. Mom did guess who you were. She said that my grandad said he had met you a few years after at the airport and what a lovely young man you were.

Hi Charles, yes you are correct about mom, and my grandad Charlie. Mom did guess who you were. She said that my grandad said he had met you a few years after at the airport and what a lovely young man you were.
Hi many thanks for reply. A very nice comment by your grandad, thank you. I don't remember meeting him at the airport but I do remember he was a regular customer at the Anne's Pantry garage (AP Motors on the A45 near the Clock Inn) where I worked weekends and evenings on the petrol pumps (1967-70).

Hello, only just seen your question on the forum. I attended Bickenhill Cof E School from 1957 to 1963. I do not have any photos of the actual school building but do have two photos of the pupilsView attachment 170073. The top one was taken around 1960 at Parents Day dancing around the Maypole. The other
Hope this is some help to
photo shows the entire school aged 5 to 11 taken in 1962. I can name all the people in the photos if you are interested.

Hi, I cannot tell you how emotional it was for me to see these photos! My sister and I (Susan and Janis Clamp) are on both and we have never seen them! We have such fond memories of Bickenhill and the school and church. We have family buried in the garden of remembrance at the beautiful old church. Thankyou to the person who posted them .

Last edited:
Back