• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BHF CHRISTMAS MEET UP 2018 ON THE DAY

I have already sent a message to ask. I suspect it might have been published privately with a limited print run so may be virtually impossible to obtain but we will see.

Sorry it's taken so long to say how nice it was to meet everyone. I couldn't get my pictures onto my laptop but hopefully I've done it now. I'm not very good at taking photos and at this late date most of mine would be duplications. However, here's three that aren't blurred! You can see John's reflection in the mirror. In the last one John is taking a picture of me, you can see it on his post (should you want to!!)

Attachments

• Postie.jpg
    Postie.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Gina, Morturn, Graham.jpg
    Gina, Morturn, Graham.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Phil & John.jpg
    Phil & John.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 68
Eric, Janice told me that you said that the picture on the front of the newspaper would make a good painting so I've taken a photo for you. I wonder if anyone on the forum has a better copy? I'll save the paper for you until the next meet up too.

Attachments

• St Martin's.jpg
    St Martin's.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 35
Bob, I'm afraid you didn't win a painting and by the time our tickets came out there were very few things left. In the end I chose 'Memories of a Twenties Child' for you as the author, Douglas V Jones, has included some things about his time in Erdington and Sutton. He went to Green Lanes School apparently. If you message me your address I'll post it to you.

Hi all,

Sorry I've been missing from the Forum for nearly three weeks, which was due to a junction box full of water. Not spotted by all the previous Greek telephone engineers that have visited the village since the line went down on 26 November. One even swore that the problem was underground - quite erroneously. However, this morning we were told that we may be offered a high speed line, up to 100 Mbps, when they install new equipment in the village in a month's time. That will be nice!

But it was great to see so many of you all having a good time at the meetup, even if I can only put names to about half a dozen faces. Now to try and catch up on three week's worth of postings! :)

Maurice

good to see you back maurice....i was wondering where you were and was going to email you this weekend...enjoy the catch up

lyn

Hi Lyn,

Yes, that was very frustrating, but the upside was that I have spent some of the time tidying up my databases, which I would probably not have found time to do otherwise!

Maurice :)

Sorry I missed the meet up. It looks like you all had a good time. Hopefully next time I will make it.

Thanks for the appreciates cookie and astoness, I have missed being on the forum, especially after meeting you all at the meetup. Nice to see the usual members on here are still posting.

I have already sent a message to ask. I suspect it might have been published privately with a limited print run so may be virtually impossible to obtain but we will see.
Feels odd replying to myself but I wanted to flag up what this post was about.
I have finally had a reply - there is probably a copy in Ward End Library which is not much help for purchasing a copy but they are going to ask around if there are any copies available. I will let you know what I find out.

I was certainly keen on the book as it had two pages about my family, the Pardoes. I have had a look on the new but cannot locate a copy.
Hello Morturn, Do you have the book about Ward End written by Jose Jukes ? there are lots of mentions of the Pardoes, including George, Herbert, Tom (Boxer) Nim, there are also a few photos of the Pardoes, are these your folks Morturn. ?

Hello Morturn, Do you have the book about Ward End written by Jose Jukes ? there are lots of mentions of the Pardoes, including George, Herbert, Tom (Boxer) Nim, there are also a few photos of the Pardoes, are these your folks Morturn. ?
Hi Bill, the Pardoes are indeed my folks, I don't have Ward End written by Jose Jukes. I have seen it once and there are a few familier and not so familer faces in it.

The local history society do not know where I can get a copy or copies. They have put out a request but nothing so far.

That is a different book. I borrowed that a few weeks ago from our local library. The one that was a raffle prize was by Ken Govier. It seems to be out of print as we were unable to find it anywhere.

Janice,

Do you happen to know the exact title? I've checked my sources and there are only two titles by a Ken Govier - Post Office Factories 1970-1994 and one about Ceramic plates published in Chicago. So I presume it was published privately before the advent of ISBN as it is illegal to obtain an ISBN without depositing five copies with various institutions such as the British Library.

Maurice

Maurice (hope you are better). I think it was a private publication as there was no number.
Ward End from Ancient Times to the Present Day. Overpool Neighbourhood Forum. (2010)
I think Overpool was/is an estate so I assume it was perhaps sold to raise funds.

Back