• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

B'ham Works Amateur Football Association

I was looking for some medals for the Athletics thread and came across these belonging to my Dad.
Left one reads B'ham & District Wed A.F.A. 1932-1933.
Right one reads the same.

Attachments

• Birmingham Wednesdays.jpg
    Birmingham Wednesdays.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 26
Same here, Janice, "" The owner of the website has configured it incorrectly".

Maurice

Slightly off topic but concerned with football teams and work. Does anyone know anything about a Wednesday league? Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green in the 1920's / 30's. He played on a Wednesday afternoon for a team which I believe was called Erdington Wednesday. I also remember Mom telling me that there was a cartoon in the paper of Dad playing football with his arms drawn in as ivy. He had a girlfriend named Ivy. Mom threw it away - her name was Doris!
Hi
I think our Dads would have known each other, my Dad worked at the Coop , played for Erdington Wednesday league and played bicycle polo for the Clarion club. I have lots of info.

Hi Rob1, just read your post on the bicycle polo thread and I'm even more excited now. Just sent you a PM and look forward to hearing from you. I'm sure I have some photos so will go and have a look now.

I thought I had more than this one photo. Dad's on the left hand side of the group and seems to be a lot older (and bigger) than the rest of them. I've been trying to work out where it was taken - any ideas?

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi Rob1, just read your post on the bicycle polo thread and I'm even more excited now. Just sent you a PM and look forward to hearing from you. I'm sure I have some photos so will go and have a look now.
Hi, I have a medal awarded to my Great Grandfather (Bill Roberts). The front has Birmingham & District Wed A-F-A. The reverse says Mitton cup winners 1922-23…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Hi Lyn, yes it is silver. I’m not sure what team he played for, I am trying to find some reference to Mitton Cup, but this far, nothing…
hi fletch hopefully some of our members will do a bit of research for you...fingers crossed...lyn

Apparently the final in 1923 was between Handsworth Wednesday & Barbel. The result of the match does not directly come up in a search, but a later report in the year mentions that Handsworth were the holders of the cup

Birm Gazette 22,3,1923.jpgBirm Gazette. 18.1.1923.jpg

Have found another cutting for 1921, regarding Handsworths success in the Mitton cup that year. also It does list a Roberts in the team

Birm Gazette 28,4,1921.jpg

thats great mike it must be fletches gt grandad...i bet he will be saving that article to keep with the medal

lyn

Couldn't find a thread with this title although some works teams have their own threads.

Posting this for member taxidriver
Does anyone know when it was disbanded as I used to referee in that league?

My best guess is that the Birmingham Works AFA finished around 1980 when there was an exodus of their clubs to Birmingham AFA. I think the office for the Works AFA was on Stratford Road, Hall Green very near to the Rialto cinema. The Birminham AFA has now become the Birmingham Football League.

Hello

I have attached a couple of pictures I have of a silver football medal it is undated and I can't read the hallmarks. I wonder if anyone could tell me approximately when it would have been issued. Thanks

IMG_5001.JPGIMG_5002.JPG

I am not a massive contributor to Football posts or a follower of football. I found this in a Silver cigarette case that I inherited from my Grandfather John (Jack) Reeves. I am Guessing it was a match he attended. Not certain if the pen marks are the final score.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 19
Back