• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bham in 40s and 50s

villamickey

villamickey
Hello , can anyone give me help regarding my schooling memories in bham about 1950 , I left bham with my parents in the 50s but they are both deceased and I can’t ask anyone else , we lived in erdington in the 40s before moving to sparkhill in the 40s , Newton rd , I vaguely remember going to a school on the Stratford rd called the Orpnanage, not attending for long before going to a school near the cinama near the park (slade rd)? Does anyone recall these locations , We moved back to Erdington in the early 50s before my parents bought a boarding house in Blackpool ( 1958) , I’m in my 70s now but still think about brum but can’t recall much thank you Mike Thompson

These maps are from 1950. There appear to be a school (no name) on the corner of Newton Road (first map) and a school (no name) by the swimming baths and the park (bottom of second map)...

0 - Newton Road.jpg

0 - Stratford Road.jpg

Hello , can anyone give me help regarding my schooling memories in bham about 1950 , I left bham with my parents in the 50s but they are both deceased and I can’t ask anyone else , we lived in erdington in the 40s before moving to sparkhill in the 40s , Newton rd , I vaguely remember going to a school on the Stratford rd called the Orpnanage, not attending for long before going to a school near the cinama near the park (slade rd)? Does anyone recall these locations , We moved back to Erdington in the early 50s before my parents bought a boarding house in Blackpool ( 1958) , I’m in my 70s now but still think about brum but can’t recall much thank you Mike Thompson
The school was indeed in Slade road near the Star cinema. The park was probably Brookvale park where i spent many hours fishing, boating & some sports. Loved that park.

It was indeed Slade Road infants and Junior school, the Star Cinema next to it. I loved in Abbey Road and like Smudger spent many happy hours in Brookvale park and the Star Cinema

Back