• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bevington Road Aston

Bevington Rd - Map dated 1892-1914 indicating tram lines. (On Bevington Rd)
Road from left middle centre to upper centre is Witton Rd.
Road from left centre to right centre is Trinity Rd.
View attachment 121911
The reference to Trinity Road reminds me that during late 1940 and 1941 when air raids were at their heaviest up to eighteen tramcars were stabled in the loop (shown on the map) in Trinity Road. This was felt less risky than in depots particularly since Witton and Washwood Heath tram depots had been hit badly resulting in the loss and severe damage to trams. Hockley and Highgate Road depots had severe damage but they were now bus depots.
This facility in Trinity Rad was used again after WW2 when Witton depot was being part rebuilt after wartime bomb damage and could also accommodate Villa supporters trams.

This is Darlington’s shop in 1905 (corner of Bevington and Wilton Roads). Would have loved to have browsed around their shop. Streetview attached, as the buildings still exit. Viv.

125A1E77-0041-4280-A3CA-8F2C1B862E9E.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F964336-F33C-4E28-8513-08587B4ED279.jpeg
    5F964336-F33C-4E28-8513-08587B4ED279.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 33
Great photos of Darlington's shop then and now, Viv! We lived in The Broadway, just past Normandy Road, and my grandparents lived at 22 Bevington Road, next door to Beebee's shop. Darlington's was like a magnet for kids in the 40's and 50's - every month I'd go and see if there was a new Dinky Toy in the window, and later Airfix kits. When I knew the shop I think the Darlington family had long gone, but I can't remember the name of the people who took it over. They were all very patient with annoying kids, I do remember that. I think I mentioned this before, but during the hula-hoop craze in the 1950's I'd been to see my gran at 22 Bevington Road, and walking back home the shop's owner was making hula-hoops from a huge coil of plastic hose and lengths of dowel. He saw me looking, called me over, and got me to make some, as demand was very high. I got a couple of bob for that!

Opposite Darlington's on the corner with The Broadway was Hicks greengrocers - my mother thought he was expensive are rarely went there. On the other corner of Bevington and Witton Roads, out of shot in the modern photo, was a TV and Radio shop owned by a former Villa player -I can remember only his first name, which was Lesley. Can anyone remind me of his surname? He used to post the names in the window of people who owed him money!

Happy days....I think.

G

Looking at the photo in Post #92 I guess it was a thriving and prosperous business. Presumably the people are Mr. & Mrs. Darlington and daughter?
However I reckon they took off for pastures new when the time came; maybe set up a new home in a more rural (sunny?) place. :D

The former Villa player who had the TV & Radio shop on the corner of Bevington and Witton was Leslie Smith....how on earth could I forget that??

G

The former Villa player who had the TV & Radio shop on the corner of Bevington and Witton was Leslie Smith....how on earth could I forget that??

G

Right winger in the winning 1957 FA Cup Final team, and Peter McParland on the left.

(Sorry for degrading the Bevington Road Thread into a fan chat room)

Yep, the last time the Villa won the FA Cup. Oddly enough, I know Peter McParland's great-nephew (I think that's correct), also called Peter McParland. He and I both occasionally play at the same guitar club near Kingsbury. Jimmy Dugdale lived in The Broadway, where I did, and he ran The Boar's Head at one time.

Getting back to Bevington Road, does anyone remember the tripe-and-cowheel shop on the corner of Bevington and Trinity Roads, opposite the Ratpan pub? My gran reckoned that it was cats they served up there....

G

Carl was one of my teenage friends and he now lives in the Isle of Wight, brother Earl lives in Brownhills. Opposite were the Shakespeare family, I remember Michael. At 30 were the Turners, Celia (now in Australia) Michail (his dad couldn't spell but had a good go) and Clive. We lived at the back of my aunt's shop at no 32. My aunt was Lil Kendall, husband worked at Kynochs, son David and daughter ... Forgot her name, moved to the Woomera rocket range in Australia with her husband
hi Phil Davids sister was Pat she learned me to write my name on the back of the garage doors next to where you lived

For anyone researching this family a photo of 5 generations. Viv.

Attachments

• 58A24137-114F-41EF-8E83-14D778E1E325.jpeg
    58A24137-114F-41EF-8E83-14D778E1E325.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 32
Yep, the last time the Villa won the FA Cup. Oddly enough, I know Peter McParland's great-nephew (I think that's correct), also called Peter McParland. He and I both occasionally play at the same guitar club near Kingsbury. Jimmy Dugdale lived in The Broadway, where I did, and he ran The Boar's Head at one time.

Getting back to Bevington Road, does anyone remember the tripe-and-cowheel shop on the corner of Bevington and Trinity Roads, opposite the Ratpan pub? My gran reckoned that it was cats they served up there....

G
yes remember it well and the builders yard behind name of Dangerfield next to the air raid shelter was Rabones fruit and veg next door was a milliners shop

yes remember it well and the builders yard behind name of Dangerfield next to the air raid shelter was Rabones fruit and veg next door was a milliners shop
Hi All. I have just found this thread. How absolutely fascinating. I am not familiar with Bevington Road but I just wanted to keep on reading about it. All those photographs. How lots of members have recognised each other, wonderful... The discussions about the trams.. amazing.
I have been reading about Furnace Road too, I found that just as interesting. Many thanks for everyone’s input and knowledge.
This is a little off thread but I occasionally go to Villa Park, I must walk along with my eyes closed (or excited about the upcoming game) as I have never noticed Bevington Road. I also remember Villa winning the FA cup in 1957. Regards Sue

Big Gee,

I'm new to this board and am just started on the search for the background to my grandparent's lives in Birmingham in the first 20 years or so of the 20th century. I recently acquired the Death Certificate of my grandfather - Alfred William Spurrier. He died in August 1926 of TB at the General Hospital. He was only 46. His last residence is given as "Back, 18 Bevington Road", Aston. So he was living next to your mother at the time of his death. His wife died in 1919 (also of TB) - she was 36 - and at that time they were living in a back to back in Franchise Street so at some time in the intervening 7 years he made the move to Bevington Road. He would probably have been living there with his two sons, Albert (20 in 1926) and Norman (10 in 1926). He had to send away two of his other children - one of whom was my father - because he couldn't cope and two others had died when very young.
Can one assume that the address "Back, 20 Bevington Road" would indicate a back to back? Or was the house split into two with a back entrance for those living at the back?
Loooking at the Google map for 20 Bevington Road today I can see an archway at the side which. I presume, ran down to the backs of the house.

Any further info you - or anyone might have - would be greatly appreciated.
message to Ralph the four houses up the entry when I llast knew them were number 1 Mr& Mrs Howe he drove for Bill Swtchgear--2 were the Charltons Albert Ena andIRIS --3 ttwo sisters the Evans--4the Ashcrofts

Amazing photos, Phil. I'd long forgotten that trams once ran down Bevington Road. Looking at the first photo, if you track along to the third post on the right, this is approximately opposite No 22, where my mother was born in 1911. She lived there until she got married in 1939. Just to the left-hand side of the tram would have been Yardley's newsagents, where right up until the 1950's I got my 'Eagle', 'Beano' and 'Radio Fun'.

The second photo is of Darlington's on the corner of Bevington Road and Witton Road, and I'd say this photo was taken probably in the 1920's, maybe even earlier. Darlington's sold anything, and if it wasn't in stock they'd get it. When I was a nipper I'd wait with baited breath every month for the latest Dinky Toy, and Darlington's would have it. One of my most vivid memories of Darlington's is when hula-hoops were all the rage, and someone stood on the pavement outside the shop making up hula-hoops from lengths of coloured plastic hosepipe joined with a piece of wood dowel. That is called enterprise! At a guess, I think Darlington's closed in the early 1970's.

Great memories, Phil. Many thanks indeed!

Big Gee

Big Gee was your mom named Dorothy by any chance can remember them having daughter as I sometimes went in your grandads shed when he was working in the garden

I agree with Di Poppitt that there were never any tram tracks along Bevington Road, or any other of the roads linking Witton Road and Trinity Road. I spent a lot of my time as a nipper at my grandmother's house, 22 Bevington Road, in the late 1940's and early 1950's, and had there been any trams passing her door I'd have noticed them! I rather think that Lento is remembering Villa Park match days, when Bevington Road and most other side-streets around Villa Park were clogged with parked buses that brought fans to and from the match. Given the relative narrowness of the roads around there, I don't think there'd be sufficient track-radius for a tram to turn off Witton Road to any of the side roads.

G
when we were kids we used sit with night watchman in his tin hut at night in front of his brazier on the corner oppo poultneys when they were removing tram rails people used to pinch the wooden blocks covered in tar for the fire

Hi Wendy!

Coincidences indeed! My parents were married at Aston Parish Church. I think my Mom went to Canterbury Road School both infants and Senior Girls, but can't be 100% certain. My Dad was born in Bedford, and I don't know when he came to live in Birmingham - he never talked about his early life, and I never asked! Well, you didn't in those days, did you?

I should've said that No 22 Bevington Road was next door to Beebee's Grocery Store at No 24, if anyone remembers that shop. Mr and Mrs Beebee had two sons, Carl and Earl.

G

G
big gee there were 3 sons George was the oldest

to GG JEAN sorry can only give you back of 18 Bevington as thats where we used to live although we went to Birchfield rd school and Canterbury cross know Franchise street well

just a bit of info that might jog some memories coming from the bottom was Leslie Smiths 2 Bobby Flack his mom Mrs Holland 4 Hawkins 6 unsure 8 Woodalls 10 Slaneys 12 Cashmores 16 mrs Wright 18Poyners 20 Bowyers 22 Daipers 24 Bs eebees 26 Gregorys 28 Oconnors 30 Turners 32 Kendals oppo side from Darlingtons George and Eileen mrs Fox Millards Tonkinson J udd Harrison EDges Sybil Duggie Baker Shakesperes Roberts Yardleys Chaundleys Rooneys Kendals Duggins

WE lived at 131 Bevington Rd from 1968 till 1990,just up from the junction of Whitehead Rd. I remember the old surgery, they built one over the road in Trinity Rd & called it a Health Centre. Remember Beebees shop,wouldn't pass todays hygiene inspections!.If you had a TV from the shop at the bottom of Bevington and you owed money your name was placed in the window for all to see! It was owned by an Ex Villa Player.
Still had to pass food inspection for a licence not so much dirty more untidy the regs were boiling water and the use marble slabs for fats and cheese these were the days when nearly every corner was a shop and this country still trying to get on its feet am
WE lived at 131 Bevington Rd from 1968 till 1990,just up from the junction of Whitehead Rd. I remember the old surgery, they built one over the road in Trinity Rd & called it a Health Centre. Remember Beebees shop,wouldn't pass todays hygiene inspections!.If you had a TV from the shop at the bottom of Bevington and you owed money your name was placed in the window for all to see! It was owned by an Ex Villa Player.
The food regs at the time were boiling water on hand and the use of marble slabs for fats cheese etc frozen in freezer if passed then you had a licence not so much dirty as untidy this at a time when this country trying to get on its feet most corner had a shop on it you couldn't go to town and say can I pay you at weekend yes times have changed to day but nobody got poisoned my grand parents butchers had open windows sides of beef hung up outside horse and carts passing by and terrace houses had pork. Hanging from the ceiing and cheese allowed to breathe wrapped in cheese cloth not in poly theme the rind went hard ideal for cooking the butter came in a block known as tub and bacon cured in saltpetr not the crap we get today vinegar sold in half pint measure

Last edited:
My great-grandmothers whole family were ill with food poisoning, all 16 of them ended up in hospital. Two of the children died.

I agree with Di Poppitt that there were never any tram tracks along Bevington Road, or any other of the roads linking Witton Road and Trinity Road. I spent a lot of my time as a nipper at my grandmother's house, 22 Bevington Road, in the late 1940's and early 1950's, and had there been any trams passing her door I'd have noticed them! I rather think that Lento is remembering Villa Park match days, when Bevington Road and most other side-streets around Villa Park were clogged with parked buses that brought fans to and from the match. Given the relative narrowness of the roads around there, I don't think there'd be sufficient track-radius for a tram to turn off Witton Road to any of the side roads.

G
There used to be a special tram for cleaning the track it sprayed water in the grooves to clean them it was always watched when we were kids

Back