• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bevington Road Aston

Well, in 1937, J.T.Darlington were at 1 Bevington Road and 265 & 265A Witton road, which is the buildings in red on the map on the corner of Bevington and Witton Roads.
map c 1950 showing 1 bevington road.jpg

BigGee,
regarding the stabling of trams in Bevington Road I wrote 'I have an idea' so that might be only a supposition on my part. \obviously when The Villa were playing at home and trams were laying over in Bevington Road other arrangements must have been made for regular services. That of course was one of the principal reasons that trams had to go: they were not flexible in their operations as buses were.
For the record the only football stadium I ever visited - not that often - was the premier team of the City, lovingly known as The Blues. ;) Mentioning the word villa in front of my uncles was tantamount to a strong swear word. :D

Last edited:
Well I took the JT Darlington in Kingsbury Road, Birches Green to be a timber merchant, and the JTD at Bevington Road has sign saying timber merchant. I believe them to be one and the same.

There is record of a Joseph Thomas Darlington at 1 Bevington Road at least in 1912 and listed as furnishings ironmonger. Now in 1932 there is a Joseph Thomas Darlington in Kingsbury Road near Rookery Park listed as a timber merchant.

In 1937 there was a fire!

(We’ve had the cup pinched more times than Small Heath have won it!)

0560CD5B-B5C3-4792-8FF7-D1F653556FD8.jpeg
Not the same people I don't believe, unless they had another business. The Birches Green people seemed to make flags, deck chairs and all things for the holidays and beach, whereas the Bevington Street address is clearly a house furnisher (furniture carpets) and other household items plus an ironmongery department.

They may well have been owned by the same people, but they are listed separately in Kellys as J.T.Dartington Ltd, timber merchants, and James Thomas Dartington Ltd furnishing ironmongers, so were presumably different companies

The 1911 census gives Joseph Thomas Darlington as being born about 1869 and living at 55 Bevington Road with his wife Alice and daughters, 2 of whom were down as shop assistants, and a female servant.

In October 1940 Alice, wife of JT Darlington, Birches Green House, passed peacefully away at Rhos-on Sea...

I did hint that they might be separate businesses. Possibly between to two companies and the various premises there may be enough information now - and possibly more to come - that there could be a separate thread. I guess we need to establish initially that it was the same named owner and not just different people with the same name. However, there seems to be at least three references to timber supplies to make a start.
I wonder if they continued after that disastrous fire.

Im1929BIF-Darlington.jpg

~1948-ish, any body remember toffee apple Joes and the Empress cinema Wards building supplies Mrs Powell fish & chips Woods herbalists Norris furniture ,Roses cafe KD garage Witton rd Eileen Norris daughter of Norris,s Maggie Forsyte Gloria Rickets Brian Dunne DaveTonkinson David Kendall Buckingham chemist on corner Endicott rd now at Beebees old shop

That's Dr Rosenfield's old surgery - a place I got to know very well when I was younger. He was still in practise when he was in his 90's, so I believe.
My maternal grandparents, William and May Diaper, lived at No 22 Bevington Road, to the left of the photos, mid-way between Trinity and Witton Roads, and next door to Beebee's General Store.

Big Gee
big gee what was the name Diapers daughter and was that your mother we moved there in 47

Bevington Rd - Map dated 1892-1914 indicating tram lines. (On Bevington Rd)
Road from left middle centre to upper centre is Witton Rd.
Road from left centre to right centre is Trinity Rd.
View attachment 121911
The reference to Trinity Road reminds me that during late 1940 and 1941 when air raids were at their heaviest up to eighteen tramcars were stabled in the loop (shown on the map) in Trinity Road. This was felt less risky than in depots particularly since Witton and Washwood Heath tram depots had been hit badly resulting in the loss and severe damage to trams. Hockley and Highgate Road depots had severe damage but they were now bus depots.
This facility in Trinity Rad was used again after WW2 when Witton depot was being part rebuilt after wartime bomb damage and could also accommodate Villa supporters trams.

This is Darlington’s shop in 1905 (corner of Bevington and Wilton Roads). Would have loved to have browsed around their shop. Streetview attached, as the buildings still exit. Viv.

125A1E77-0041-4280-A3CA-8F2C1B862E9E.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F964336-F33C-4E28-8513-08587B4ED279.jpeg
    5F964336-F33C-4E28-8513-08587B4ED279.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 33
Great photos of Darlington's shop then and now, Viv! We lived in The Broadway, just past Normandy Road, and my grandparents lived at 22 Bevington Road, next door to Beebee's shop. Darlington's was like a magnet for kids in the 40's and 50's - every month I'd go and see if there was a new Dinky Toy in the window, and later Airfix kits. When I knew the shop I think the Darlington family had long gone, but I can't remember the name of the people who took it over. They were all very patient with annoying kids, I do remember that. I think I mentioned this before, but during the hula-hoop craze in the 1950's I'd been to see my gran at 22 Bevington Road, and walking back home the shop's owner was making hula-hoops from a huge coil of plastic hose and lengths of dowel. He saw me looking, called me over, and got me to make some, as demand was very high. I got a couple of bob for that!

Opposite Darlington's on the corner with The Broadway was Hicks greengrocers - my mother thought he was expensive are rarely went there. On the other corner of Bevington and Witton Roads, out of shot in the modern photo, was a TV and Radio shop owned by a former Villa player -I can remember only his first name, which was Lesley. Can anyone remind me of his surname? He used to post the names in the window of people who owed him money!

Happy days....I think.

G

Looking at the photo in Post #92 I guess it was a thriving and prosperous business. Presumably the people are Mr. & Mrs. Darlington and daughter?
However I reckon they took off for pastures new when the time came; maybe set up a new home in a more rural (sunny?) place. :D

The former Villa player who had the TV & Radio shop on the corner of Bevington and Witton was Leslie Smith....how on earth could I forget that??

G

The former Villa player who had the TV & Radio shop on the corner of Bevington and Witton was Leslie Smith....how on earth could I forget that??

G

Right winger in the winning 1957 FA Cup Final team, and Peter McParland on the left.

(Sorry for degrading the Bevington Road Thread into a fan chat room)

Yep, the last time the Villa won the FA Cup. Oddly enough, I know Peter McParland's great-nephew (I think that's correct), also called Peter McParland. He and I both occasionally play at the same guitar club near Kingsbury. Jimmy Dugdale lived in The Broadway, where I did, and he ran The Boar's Head at one time.

Getting back to Bevington Road, does anyone remember the tripe-and-cowheel shop on the corner of Bevington and Trinity Roads, opposite the Ratpan pub? My gran reckoned that it was cats they served up there....

G

Carl was one of my teenage friends and he now lives in the Isle of Wight, brother Earl lives in Brownhills. Opposite were the Shakespeare family, I remember Michael. At 30 were the Turners, Celia (now in Australia) Michail (his dad couldn't spell but had a good go) and Clive. We lived at the back of my aunt's shop at no 32. My aunt was Lil Kendall, husband worked at Kynochs, son David and daughter ... Forgot her name, moved to the Woomera rocket range in Australia with her husband
hi Phil Davids sister was Pat she learned me to write my name on the back of the garage doors next to where you lived

Back