• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bevington Road Aston

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from the 1908.

Ian.

That's Dr Rosenfield's old surgery - a place I got to know very well when I was younger. He was still in practise when he was in his 90's, so I believe.
My maternal grandparents, William and May Diaper, lived at No 22 Bevington Road, to the left of the photos, mid-way between Trinity and Witton Roads, and next door to Beebee's General Store.

Big Gee

WE lived at 131 Bevington Rd from 1968 till 1990,just up from the junction of Whitehead Rd. I remember the old surgery, they built one over the road in Trinity Rd & called it a Health Centre. Remember Beebees shop,wouldn't pass todays hygiene inspections!.If you had a TV from the shop at the bottom of Bevington and you owed money your name was placed in the window for all to see! It was owned by an Ex Villa Player.

Hi Bilsat,

the TV/Radio shop was owned (I think) by Leslie Smith - I remember his list of names in the window! The Health Centre used to be the tripe and cow-heel shop opposite Rosenfield's surgery. And Yardley's newsagents oppostite Beebee's? Mrs Beebee would serve in the shop without her teeth in, and I used to double up laughing!

Big Gee

I have posted this photo before but thought it may be of interest on this thread. My grandparents lived at no 191 Bevington Rd from about 1902 until the 1940's my Dad and his brother and sisters were born there.
The photo is my Dad's first car sometime in the 1930's it's parked outside his parents house.:)

George_Arthur_Neville_Jennings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the TV shops owner was Lesley Smiths, just couldn't remember it!When we moved in the land on the corner of Bevington/Trinity Rd was already being cleared ready for the building of the Health Centre.The newsagants was on the corner of Bevington/Trinity Rd. I remember when Severn Trent dug a huge hole outside the newsagents for a large sewer to be built, they dug down and lowered dumper trucks into it and dug towards the Villa! never did find where it came out...........

Lovely photo Wendy and glad you re posted it as I missed it first time round. Does anyone remember Professor Charles Gough the music teacher who lived at the top of the road on the left walking up the hill?. He had a shiny brass plaque on his wall. Jean.

That's Dr Rosenfield's old surgery - a place I got to know very well when I was younger. He was still in practise when he was in his 90's, so I believe.
My maternal grandparents, William and May Diaper, lived at No 22 Bevington Road, to the left of the photos, mid-way between Trinity and Witton Roads, and next door to Beebee's General Store.

Big Gee

Im doing some family research my grandmother was Ellen (known as Nellie) Beebee, would you remember what Mr & Mrs Beebee first names were?

Just to join in, my gran lived there in the thirties, my brother lived there in the fifties (where I discovered the joys of cheese and bacon), and I believe that Benjamin Zephania lived there in the sixties

Im doing some family research my grandmother was Ellen (known as Nellie) Beebee, would you remember what Mr & Mrs Beebee first names were?

Tiggy, sorry, I never knew their names, only the names of their two sons Carl and Earl, which I mentioned on another thread.

Big Gee

I believe this to be Bevington Rd, trams waiting to go down to Witton for Villa crowds after a match.

I don't recall trams in either Bevington or Nelson Roads. Maybe the photo is Trinity Road or Witton Lane?

Big Gee

I don't remember trams in Bevington road but I may be wrong?. Is it Witton road as I know they went past Pete's house?. Jean.

There was tram track in the part of Bevington Rd from Witton Rd to Trinity Rd. Its shown on my 1947 map but I dont remember it being used when I lived around there.

There were never any tramtracks in any of the roads running from Witton Road to Trinity Road. The tram looks to be on an incline, so I don't think it's Witton Lane either. Peter would have known.

In this board, post #3. the late Peter Walker advises "The loop round Witton Road, Bevington Road and Trinity Road was added in 1884" and then decribes a picture as "Photo 3.4 shows Kitson engine No. 14 with trailer 22 in Witton Lane, apparently just having traversed the loop via Trinity Road, Bevington Road and Witton Road."
This loop was retaIned in electric days for parking match day cars, and Bevington Rd / Trinity Rd was used for parking trams during the rebuilding of the Witton depot (although temporarily without a roof) after severe bomb damage during WW2.

HI GUYS
YES I REMEMBER THE GOUGHS PLAQUE AND THE TRAM LINES THEY WAS GRAND OLD HOUSES I REMEMBER ALRIGHT
UNTIL THE DECLINE YEARS STARTED [ Ill Say No More ] AND WHEN THEY STARTED TO RIPP THEM UP I CAN RECALL THE BAG WASH OUT SIDE THE ASTON PARK GATES
WINDOWS ALL STEAMED UP FROM DAWN TO DUSKED I HAVE LIVED IN CROMWELL TERRACE LICHFIELD RD NEXT TO THE BARNES SHOP AND NEXT TO THE LONG
DISPUTED PUB ; CALLED THE WIDDOWS PUB; ALSO I LIVED IN THE PENNY CAKE BREAD PUDDING SHOP ON VICTORIA RD AND AT ALSO NEAR TO SIX WAYS NUMBER 47 VICTORIA RD ALMOST FACING WHITE HEAD RD THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND WE THOUGHT THEY WOULD NEVER END
FROM A LOVELY SLOW PACE TO A FAST PACE OF LIFE OF TODAYS PROBLEMS AND DISRUPTIONS OF STRIFE
WHEN I EVER GO THROUGH ASTON IT MAKES MY HEART BLEED TO SEE THE STATE OF OLD ASTON AND THE MESS THESE SO CALLED PLANNERS HAVE DONE TO IT ;;
HAPPY EASTER EVERY BODY BEST WISHES ASTONIAN

Alan I still have the music Charles Gough wrote for me. I wish I had a photo of their house and plaque?. Jean.

Forgot to say we did a detour around this area the other day and it brought back some lovely memories. Would not like to live there now though. Jean.

Wendy

These are the only two I have.

Attachments

• Aston Bevington Rd (2).JPG
    Aston Bevington Rd (2).JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Aston Bevington Rd.jpg
    Aston Bevington Rd.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 161
Amazing photos, Phil. I'd long forgotten that trams once ran down Bevington Road. Looking at the first photo, if you track along to the third post on the right, this is approximately opposite No 22, where my mother was born in 1911. She lived there until she got married in 1939. Just to the left-hand side of the tram would have been Yardley's newsagents, where right up until the 1950's I got my 'Eagle', 'Beano' and 'Radio Fun'.

The second photo is of Darlington's on the corner of Bevington Road and Witton Road, and I'd say this photo was taken probably in the 1920's, maybe even earlier. Darlington's sold anything, and if it wasn't in stock they'd get it. When I was a nipper I'd wait with baited breath every month for the latest Dinky Toy, and Darlington's would have it. One of my most vivid memories of Darlington's is when hula-hoops were all the rage, and someone stood on the pavement outside the shop making up hula-hoops from lengths of coloured plastic hosepipe joined with a piece of wood dowel. That is called enterprise! At a guess, I think Darlington's closed in the early 1970's.

Great memories, Phil. Many thanks indeed!

Big Gee

Hi Wendy!

Coincidences indeed! My parents were married at Aston Parish Church. I think my Mom went to Canterbury Road School both infants and Senior Girls, but can't be 100% certain. My Dad was born in Bedford, and I don't know when he came to live in Birmingham - he never talked about his early life, and I never asked! Well, you didn't in those days, did you?

I should've said that No 22 Bevington Road was next door to Beebee's Grocery Store at No 24, if anyone remembers that shop. Mr and Mrs Beebee had two sons, Carl and Earl.

G

G

We lived just a hop skip and a jump from there in Woodall Road, I used to be sent to Darlingtons for parrafin for the heater, that we called the stove, that Mom carried round the house downstairs to try to keep us warm in winter. I can recal the smell of the shop, everything mixed up together sort of smell. They also sold bundles of firewood and clothes pegs, and I think that they filled the accumulator batteries that went into the wireless.

I remember BeeBee's when we moved to Bevington Rd in 1968, "dirty shop" but had everything! Did the trams go up the other end of Bevington? we lived at 131 Bevington until 1990...

I remember your uncle well, Wendy - from when I worked at Bill Switchgear. John Jennings I think?

Back