• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bevan Family

Alison Trenholm

master brummie
Hi,

Looking to find any information possible on my great great grandfather Harry Bevan (1869-1943), and his daughters Elizabeth (1890) and Ada (1895), and son Frank. He was first married to Elizabeth Durose (1867-1899), son of William Durose and Sarah Padmore. They had daughters Elizabeth, Alice Frances (my great grandmother), son William Henry, and daughter Ada. With his second wife Emily (nee Knowles) he had Frank (1905) Alice Frances was sent to Middlemore Children's Emmigration home in 1905, and subsequently to Nova Scotia Canada where she spent the rest of her short life, passing in 1921, only three months after the birth of my grandmother.

I am in touch with the descendants of William Henry, but the whereabouts of the girls and Frank and any children they had, remain a mystery.

In 1899 Harry was living at 49 Oxford St Birmingham, the home of his in-laws. We know his father was named John, a toy maker, and was deceased in 1899. No idea what his mother's name was. Any information in that regard would be most welcome as well!

We do know that in 1901, Elizabeth was living with her maternal grandparents, and in 1911, both she and Ada were living with the family of her mother's brother, Walter Durose.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alison

Registered a Henry Bevans, Jun qtr 1869. Son of John Bevans and Elizabeth Cater.

Living in Irvine St in 1881 with parents listed as Harry Bevenn.

Can't find any evidence of a Frank Bevan at all. The two registered around 1905 are unrelated.

There is however an Emily May Bevan mmn Knowles registered Bham 1911. She marries a William Howard Swift and then an Albert Kennerley.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help!
Can't find any evidence of a Frank Bevan at all. The two registered around 1905 are unrelated.

There is however an Emily May Bevan mmn Knowles registered Bham 1911. She marries a William Howard Swift and then an Albert Kennerley.
In the 1911 Census, we have Harry and Emily, William Henry 18, Frank 5 (crossed out), Harold Gannon 17, and Florence Gannon 15. Harold and Florence are Emily's children from her first marriage. It states that there were three children born in the current marriage and only one alive, two having died.
Harry is listed as a gun manufacturer, William a railway porter, Harold a railway van boy and Florence a paper bag maker.

The address is listed as 6 Elm Cottage Falconer Rd

Thank you! I will see what I can come up with in that regard!
We are quite certain that this is indeed our Ada as the birth date is a perfect match.
The children are Thomas D (1921).and Doris M (1927)
They are listed in the electoral lists right up to 1962, living with their mother in the home at 58 Hazelville Rd.
Question is... Did either marry? Have children? When did they die?

Thomas and Doris are listed at 46 Pemberley Road on the 1965 ER and the last listing for Doris appears to be 2003 still at Pemberley Road.

Wow! So after Ada died they must have moved.
Sad that they didn't have families, but I am so thankful to at least know about them.

Any Inklings about Elizabeth? I think she perhaps died young and unmarried.

Still looking for Frank's family. It is thought he married an Alma.

It's still possible that Elizabeth died in 1912 (see post #5).

Still can find no trace of Frank. Have you any evidence for him apart from the crossed out entry on the 1911 census?

Last edited:
Ok, it is possible that Harry and Emily had a number of children listed as Bevan with mmn Virgo (for some reason) which would include one of the 2 Franks I mentioned previously.

There are 2 baptisms listed, for an Arthur and an Emily Bevan, with parents listed as Harry and Emily. These correspond to Bevan/Virgo registrations. The baptisms are both on Ancestry, so if you can see them and the other details (occupation and abode) match then it's probable they're theirs, meaning the Frank registered Bham 1905 is also.

Sadly both Arthur and Emily died young, as did a Walter Bevan b1898, son of Harry and Elizabeth (not sure if he's been mentioned).

If this is correct then it appears that Frank married a Lilian Alma Spencer (corresponding to your info) in 1928. In 1939 he is living with in-laws at 621 Washwood Heath Road and he died in 1979, registered Droitwich.

Frank and Lilian possibly had one daughter, Patricia b1928/1929.

Ok, it is possible that Harry and Emily had a number of children listed as Bevan with mmn Virgo (for some reason) which would include one of the 2 Franks I mentioned previously.

There are 2 baptisms listed, for an Arthur and an Emily Bevan, with parents listed as Harry and Emily. These correspond to Bevan/Virgo registrations. The baptisms are both on Ancestry, so if you can see them and the other details (occupation and abode) match then it's probable they're theirs, meaning the Frank registered Bham 1905 is also.

Sadly both Arthur and Emily died young, as did a Walter Bevan b1898, son of Harry and Elizabeth (not sure if he's been mentioned).
hi mark what are the birth years for arthur and emily bevan...i will see if i can find them on ancestry and report back

lyn

Back