• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bevan Family

Yes I've seen them but they are definitely different William Duroses than the grandson of John Durose and possible illegitimate daughter of Anne.

There are 3 listed on the 1851 census of a similar age. The son of George and Ann is a definite no because he's with a brother on later censuses as previously mentioned.

And still going on the assumption that he was illegitimate, as if he was son of John & Hannah why no father's name on marriage.

DNA is interesting but I still think of it as last resort when all other options are exhausted.

I think Harry Bevans was the son of John Bevans and Elizabeth Cater (see post #2). Can't see a marriage for them but you can match birth registrations of children to their children with them on 1861, 1871 & 1881 censuses.

In 1851 John appears to be a prisoner.
You make a very good point. Obviously a cluster of matches would lead us to a mrca, but you are correct in reminding me that the paper trail is our evidence.

We know that John Bevan(s) was a steel toy maker as stated on Harry and Emily's marriage record. In the 1861 census, I see him with an Elizabeth born in Warwickshire, and a son William age 5 and daughter Sara aged 1....

Yes, that's correct. William and Sarah Ann (as well as Harry) are registered with mmn Cater. Sadly Sarah died in 1862.

As well as the above there were also Emma (1858), John Henry (1862), Emily Betsey (1864) and George (1866) who all sadly died young.

Back