• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bertram Thomas Williams Royal Warks..

I have just checked birth records for 1891 and wonder if the Bertie was short for Robert rather than the later Bertram. Perhaps the 1891 one died. Will need to check.
Janice
Hello Janice,
In my 89 years I have never known anyone named Robert called Bertie for short. It is usually, Robert, Rob, Bobby or Bob.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

I am clutching at straws here - I found a birth of a Robert and wondered if that was the baby on the 1891 census. I am trying to work out why we seem to have two people with the same name in the same family born 2 years apart. Any ideas?
Janice

No - need to do some more digging. I have checked the name on the 1891 and am convinced it was Bertie - haven't found a birth either. I am beginning to wonder if they "forgot" to register him and then did it in 1893 - who knows what they did back then.
Janice

those are good points janice....anything could have happened in those days...i have some spare time tonight so i will plod on..

Thanks - I think I had better stop for now. The biggest stumbling block is that I always try to find baptism records to support things but there don't seem to be any for the Williams!!
Janice

i agree janice i always try to find the bapts first...not looked myself but if you cant find them i bet i wont but i will take a look later on..will report back if i find anything of interest

lyn

The only baptism I found with parents Walter (boot maker) and Clara and address Rentham Street (Wrentham?) was a girl called Violet born in 1882 - she is not on any census so I assume she died. There is a death of a baby aged 0 years registered in 1883.
Janice

hi janice i would think that rentham st should be wrentham st so most likely violet was one of the 3 children that died..going back to the 1901 census where walter is not down as living there i guess it could be him down as publican at no 22 bromsgrove st..just in case it was him i asked mike to check out that address and here is his reply

Walter Williams is down in Kellys at no 22 in 1903 as beer retailer, though this could be offlicence, The 1901 cenaus says Walter Williams was here as a publican , but gives no name. however the 1881 * 1891 name the pub (beerhouse) as The Reaper

A good idea, it could be but I can't find a birth of a Herbert born in 1891 apart from in Walsall.
Janice

hi all, thanks for all your efforts, relating to bertie no.1 I found a death of a Bertie Williams in the 3rd quarter of 1890 Aston, Warwickshire. This makes things even more confusing ????? Ron

I saw that but decided it was not relevant. I am convinced that either the baby on the 1891 census died or they didn't register the birth and lied in 1893 abut Bertie's age - we shall probably never know. At least we can identify the family, his brothers and sisters and where he lived. It would be nice to find out who Myra was but unless his will tells us we won't be able to work that out.
Janice

Thanks Janice, I have sent for a copy of the will, cos Im nosey and I love a mystery lol, I will let you know what it says, Ron

found this in the Birmingham Daily Post published on 11 August 1916

Attachments

• aa Birmingham Daily Post  11 August 1916.jpg
    aa Birmingham Daily Post 11 August 1916.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 19
Then there is the family published on 8 September 1916 in the Birmingham Daily Gazette

Attachments

• !!! B T Williams family.jpg
    !!! B T Williams family.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Terry, that's fantastic info, I have now actually got a photo of Bertram, Ron

This is a photo of my dad Kenneth Herbert Hanson age 19, posted from Alberta Canada to the jungles of Malaya and Java.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
Back