• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Berners Street, Lozells

Thanks Lyn, great photos! My uncle talked about going down to a shelter in Burbury Park in his siren suit the night the street got bombed so it does sound like it was close by there. Fingers crossed that mikejee spots my post, I’d love to see the location on a map!

Regards
Samantha

happy to help samantha...i think seeing photos puts a bit of meat on the bones of our family history...quite sure mike will spot this as mapping is his thing...:)

lyn

frankie if you are looking in turn away now...

oldend3003.jpg
My Nan and grandad ran he Union during and after the war

My ancestor George Moore in the 1861 census was living at 14 Berner Street and working as a gun finisher.
The other people living on his street all seemed to have similarly creative jobs (there's a clock maker, silver chain maker, steel pen maker, and a jeweler, just on this page alone), so I feel that business in this area must've been booming at the time, but I can't seem to find much information online.
Does anyone know anything about the history of Berner Street, or have any old pictures or maps of it?

12 court was in the section of road between Clifford Street and Gerrard Street, this is the section of map that shows where number 6 was.

berners st.JPG

Last edited:
My ancestor George Moore in the 1861 census was living at 14 Berner Street and working as a gun finisher.
The other people living on his street all seemed to have similarly creative jobs (there's a clock maker, silver chain maker, steel pen maker, and a jeweler, just on this page alone), so I feel that business in this area must've been booming at the time, but I can't seem to find much information online.
Does anyone know anything about the history of Berner Street, or have any old pictures or maps of it?
Hi, my post was moved to this thread but I think it was done so incorrectly. The street I'm looking for has no "s" at the end. It seems to be very definitely Berner Street, not Berners Street.

In some early directories (ie the 1862 Corporation directory ) it is referred to as Berner St, but this is the same street as Berners St.

Apologies to the member asking for court 12 Berners St as their post has accidentally been deleted. But Phil has answered your question with a map on post 109

hi wondering did anyone know my nan she lived in berner street number 113 her name was mary wilsonthe house was by the garage or coach place .i was born 1950 and lived there with nan my mom rosena and dad cyril and grandad of course i think my aunt clara uncle dan lived there to would be lovely to know if any one knew them thankyou .

hi christine and welcome sad to say that our member astonian passed away earlier this year but if you look at the map on post 105 you will see that the garage/coach station was much further up berners st..near to lozells road...no 113 which is also showing on map and was much further down and as far as i can see had no garage next to it...

lyn

its no trouble christine...hard for us to get things exactly right when we are trying to remember things as children...i can actually recall the coach garage as a child

lyn

gosh that is so small cant see 113 anyway i can get map bigger please thanks

if you save the map to your computer christine you will then be able to zoom into the map and enlarge it but if you go to post 109 there is another map which is larger and shows no 113 quite clearly

lyn

hi wondering did anyone know my nan she lived in berner street number 113 her name was mary wilsonthe house was by the garage or coach place .i was born 1950 and lived there with nan my mom rosena and dad cyril and grandad of course i think my aunt clara uncle dan lived there to would be lovely to know if any one knew them thankyou .

Hi Christine. I used to live next door to Mrs Wilson. I lived with my grandmother, Emily Oldfield at the second hand furniture shop, the other side of us were the Banhams. I remember Mrs Wilson very well, she was a very jolly lady, she loved a party.

Back