• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Berners Street, Lozells

hi lynn
I Will start looking for you through the books i have i recall from one book there is a mention of the globe
but i will take time as i have a load of books thati never knew i had but for my old dutchess found a load of them last week in her clear out
i will take the opportunetity today whilst she is away down in bournmouth line dancing group all women;
she went on friday morning and back tuesday so i will not have her around bothering me
it seems if i ever get near to the comp ;she winges and say you are on there again ; ah;she always wanting some think done
thats why of late i donot spend time like i used to over the years as i did
still i will lok out for you and browse ; incidently my older brother whom died two years back that was is local he spent a fortune in that globe
well i sign off now speak soon as i can , Alan;;;

Lyn, I would be interested to see the drawing. Eric

hello eric..this came out of a very old book...im not even sure now who sent it to me but it gives a great discription of the globe even saying what colours the outside brickwork was...reading on the inside sounds quite impressive as well...there is one thing i have not done yet and thats to find what house it was ie ansells etc...must try and find that out..
image.jpeg

page 1 of the article

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn, Have studied drawing and read notes about brick work etc... as I would like to try a painting, looking carefully at the sign it looks like Ansells to me with the curly (orange) sign underneath the pub name. It mentions a double gate to the yard, would presume that is on the left, possibly hidden by what appears to be a bus or similar motor, certainly not on the right looking at the drawing. Eric

eric that would be fantastic if anyone can make something from a very poor sketch you can..i would agree that it does look like an ansells sign to me but as for the double gates i thought to the right of the pub but to be honest its only a guess so i will leave that to you..

lyn

Last edited:
Lozells road corner with berners st.jpgjust getting back to berners st i have not seen this one before...corner of berners st with lozells road..oh alan before i forget thanks for looking out for a photo of the globe inn as said in an earlier post i am hoping the library may have one for me...

How is for a first attempt. Please point out any errors as you are more familiar with the pub than me, If you think double gate were on right I can paint it again with gates on right. No problem. EricGlobe Inn (2).JPG

wow eric how did you do that so fast..its looking fantastic and all from a rough sketch...i love it just as you have set it out...wonderful thank you so much as you have just bought the globe inn back to life.

lyn x

Last edited:
Lyn, I will wait until you visit archives in case you manage to obtain a photo which I could do a more accurate painting from. Using your old drawing entails a bit of guess work and artists licence, particular with colours, its also a bit blurred but being old enough to remember using old pubs of this style does help, a lot of old corner pubs had a lot in common. You are welcome to this one unless I turn out something beyyer. Eric

Lyn, I will wait until you visit archives in case you manage to obtain a photo which I could do a more accurate painting from. Using your old drawing entails a bit of guess work and artists licence, particular with colours, its also a bit blurred but being old enough to remember using old pubs of this style does help, a lot of old corner pubs had a lot in common. You are welcome to this one unless I turn out something beyyer. Eric

eric i have saved that one to my pc..i have asked the library to do a search for me for a photo of the globe and asked for an appointment for the week after next....as soon as i get a reply from them i will let you know.. even if i do get one i would feel honoured to have that painting hanging next to other very special pubs that you have painted for me...

lyn

my husband lived at no 87 berner street in 1965 is the house still standing
he lived in wellsley street before that
josie

Josie
The street south of Gerrrard st soe not exist as a street any more, and only houses north of that on the west side remain. the lowest number is about 157.

hi josie the library say they do not have any photos of berners st but i shall keep looking..

lyn

hi lyn
thanks for trying it would be great if you manage to find one i have a lot of happy memories of the house in berner street
josie

I have just found out that my great great grandfather George Rachel lived with my great grandfather John Steven Rachel and great grandmother with my grandfather George Rachel at 74 Berners Street in 1911 when my grandfather was 9. Amazing.

Hi jos and night nurse
we lived at 156 berners street right next door to the old school and four doors from the pub
on the corner of gerrard street
And if my memory serves me correctly many years ago i seem to recall i was in touch with lyn
And promised her i would try and meet her there but i never did for reason of some think or another
To have a tot with her and afew of the old guys whom i knew there as it was my local
eventualy i left and went to live in london for a spell
then i came back to brum and settled down mom went to live in edgebaston
best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,

Hello, does anyone know exactly where 139 Berners St was? It was my grandparents’ home until they were bombed out during the war. Was it close to Gerrard St? I know it was a terrace house and close to two schools.

Berner Street 2.jpg Berners Street 1.jpg Berners Street 3.jpg hi samantha and welcome...hopefully mikejee will spot your post and will be able to provide you with a map showing 139 although i can tell you that 139 was at the end of the street that as been demolished (the top half remains)...i would think the 2 schools you refer to would be lozells girls (which i attended) and lozells infants and juniors berners st started at gt king st went past burbury st park rising all the time it finished at lozells road...here are 3 photos of the street...the one with the two ladies shows the top end of the street looking towards lozells road and the other 2 shows the end where your gran lived as you can see they are getting boarded up ready for demolision..

lyn

Last edited:
Back