• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Berners Street, Lozells

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I've just found a new relative on the 1891 census living at 12 Court 6 House Berners St, Lozells (joins Lozells Rd). I can see it on myBartholomew's But wondered if anyone could pinpoint (or close!) this house.
Thanks in advance.

Court 12 Berners st is shown on the map below. sometimes there is soem doubt as to which is court name and which number. In this case it is definitely court 12, as court 6 only has 2 houses

mike

map_c1913__berners_st_ct_12.jpg

hi david..snap..ive got rellies in berners st on the 1901...your rellies part of the street is long demolished but the top half of the street which runs from gerrard st up to lozells road is still there...

mike would no 179 be on the same map as davids...

lyn

My Great Grandfather and Gt.Gt. Grandfather are shown on the 1891 census living at 5 Court, House 2, Berners Street...I wonder whether they knew your relatives Davidfowler....who knows???

my grand ma used to live at 202 berners st on the opposite side to flights guarage and the out door. as you say the one side is still ther but the other has long gone. new houses on there now.

Lyn
no 179 was on the other side of the street further north. It is shown in red below on the1955 map
Mike

map_c_1955_showing_179_Berners_St.jpg

thanks mike..i realised after that it must be at the top end...hoping to get down the old end this week so i will see if no 179 is still standing..

My grandad was at 5 back of 186 in 1930 and 5 Berners Terrace in 1935:)

Suzanne

crikey suzanne how about a meet up of all of us who had rellies in berners st lol..ive noted all the higher numbers and if they still exist i will take pics of them when i go down very soon..

lyn

Lyn
There is still a house there, but I am not sure that No 179 ( https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...oid=aSgr6-fzSc0sGWKMWEj-vw&cbp=12,263.03,,0,0 ) is the same as 179 before the road was reshaped. I think there has been a renumbering. I superimposed an earlier map with what i am sure was 179 in red on google, and found that the house there is now 197 (https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52...=qmGnv553MTesXcTVMVvA5Q&cbp=12,264.65,,0,5.71 ) I could accept that it might be one house wrong either side, but not 10 houses wrong.

thanks mike..i will see what i can find out in the week about the numbering but yes you could be right..

lyn

Cheers Lyn - much appreciated (we could start the Berners Street appreciation society:) )

mike could you find out where berners terrace was please..i need as much info as poss for this decective work trip..

thank you mike..

Lyn
If you go to the map showing no 179, then on the opposite side of the road slightly down , just below a factory is a terrace. That is Berners Terrace
Mike

hi david ;
As lynn said its starts from the top end coming from lozells rd when you turn into berners street the courts would have been that end of berners street
when you turned into berners street and start walking down on your right hand of the street there was the teraces and the courts
i lived further down on the left hand side of the rd right next to the school yard with my mother way back in time
but going back in time there was a guy whom was the founder of a coach company which later openened up on victoria rd it silly because the name is escapeing me this tme of morning but other members will recall the name and they are world known but he was the grand father of this family
whom after being a rag and bone man from the street decided on an idea to buy and old shara bang and do day tripsup t the clent hills
and the cotsworlds but any wy it would have been around his house a door or two where they demolished it and it became a yard for him and a couple of old sharas and eventualy he bought premises on victoria rd as well as a garage repairs then ashis kids grew up they after many years expandd the coach industry ;
i know when i finish this thread there name will come to me silly me
i lived with my mother at 156 berner street with my mother when i was young
have a good day ; best wishes astonian

Lyn
If you go to the map showing no 179, then on the opposite side of the road slightly down , just below a factory is a terrace. That is Berners Terrace
Mike

thanks mike..sorry suzanne berners terrace has gone then...

lyn

hi lynn
many thanks flights the family name for the coaches i could not put my finger on this morning
thats where the court was and there great grand father lived and set up his first day tripper shara bang he was an orininal rag and bone mane before thinking of organiseing day trips and made some money then geting a little shack on victoria rd and setting upa car repair unint the expsanding on the very same site on victoria rd which was opersite almost the chippie on potters hill rd and the corner of victoria rd '
have a nice day best wishes alan ;; astonian

Back