• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

benzing

lindaparry19

master brummie
i am looking for any benzing living in and around birmingham my gggrandfather married a maria benzing regards linda

The only Maria Benzing in the 1901 census had her married name as Benzing and was born in mile end London, but was married to Christian, who was born in Birmingham
There seems to have been only one family in Birmingham at 4 back 195 gooch st in that census. It did not include a maria:

Thomas 29 m Machine worker gun factory born birmingham
Elizabeth 28 m “
Thomas 4 “
Elsie 3 “
Leslie 1 “

In 1891 again there was only one family in Brum:at house 4 court 48 Cheapside
Martin 48 m Bird cage maker born west bromwich
Mary 46 m born Birmingham
Elizabeth 8 “
Samuel 10 “
Emily 19 “

Again in 1881 no maria in Birmingham

Mike

thank you mick my gggandmother was maria but on the census she was mary ann benzing married my gggrandfather samuel morgan her father was martin benzing born 1800 in germany he was a clock maker his son martin was a bird catcher ? regards linda

Hello Linda,

In 1925 there is a Samuel Benzing at The Salvation Army Home in Ryder Street.

The majority of Benzings seems to have settled in Selly Oak, Harborne, and Northfield, Birmingham area in 1920s- 1930s.

These areas were originally in the registration district of Kings Norton , At one time in Worcestershire.

In 1932 The registration district became Birmingham South Reg District.

Benzing's can be found on -
www.midlandshistoricaldata.org

Bo

Hi, Elizabeth Benzing (born c 1883) was my great grandmother...

there's a record in the 1851 census of Martin (51) & Harrit (42) Benzing living with 3 children, Emma (12), Martin (10) and John (5), as well as Samuel Morgan (25) and Maria Morgan (22), with Martin Snr as head of the household.

In 1861 Martin Snr, Martin Jnr & John are all living as part of the Morgan household at 15 1H George Thorpe Street. I think Maria Morgan was probably Martin Snrs daughter. Martin Jnr, Maria's brother, was my great-great grandfather.

At this point, sadly, I don't - both my mother's parents died when she was a child, so she had no contact with their families at all. I've just started researching, though, so I'll keep you posted if I find anything more!

Hi, I am also researching this family, I am the great grand daughter of Fanny Benzing, daughter of Martin Benzing and Mary Anne Harbour - Martin's father was born in Germany and was the clock maker. Karen

Hi, Elizabeth Benzing (born c 1883) was my great grandmother...

there's a record in the 1851 census of Martin (51) & Harrit (42) Benzing living with 3 children, Emma (12), Martin (10) and John (5), as well as Samuel Morgan (25) and Maria Morgan (22), with Martin Snr as head of the household.

In 1861 Martin Snr, Martin Jnr & John are all living as part of the Morgan household at 15 1H George Thorpe Street. I think Maria Morgan was probably Martin Snrs daughter. Martin Jnr, Maria's brother, was my great-great grandfather.

Hi Linzi, Martin Jnr was also my great-great grandfather! Which of his children are you descended from? I have his children as being: Elizabeth, Emily, Fanny, Francis, Henry, John and Samuel Martin. Fanny is my ancestor. Karen

Hi Karen,

I'm descended from Elizabeth - she was my great grandmother.

Linzi.

hi karen i am also descended from martin benzing born germany 1800 died 1874 in birmingham also mygggrandfather samuel morgan died the same year my grandmother was mary ann morgan married my garndfather james davis 1888 but her was mother was benzing regards linda

Hi, I am also researching this family, I am the great grand daughter of Fanny Benzing, daughter of Martin Benzing and Mary Anne Harbour - Martin's father was born in Germany and was the clock maker. Karen
Hi! I know this is an old thread but I have just recently discovered that Fanny Benzing was my 2nd great grandmother. Are you on Ancestry.com by any chance? I am Daniel Tyler's great granddaughter

Hi! I know this is an old thread but I have just recently discovered that Fanny Benzing was my 2nd great grandmother. Are you on Ancestry.com by any chance? I am Daniel Tyler's great granddaughter
Hi. I am also Fanny Benzing’s Great Granddaughter. I am Joseph Tyler’s (the youngest child) granddaughter. I am also in touch with Ted Tyler’s (second youngest) granddaughter who has grandchildren of her own. We worked at the same place for 10 years until we discovered we were related by chance. Robert Tyler, the eldest son was killed in WWI and is buried in Belgium. I have his military number.

Last edited:
Back