• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Benson Junior School, Benson Road - any photos from the 1920s?

diane reed

proper brummie kid
I would be most grateful if anyone can share photos relating to Benson Junior School in the 1920s?

My great-grandfather was apparently school care-taker there at that time. Electoral Rolls for 1922, 1925 and 1927 indicate that he and my great-grandmother were then living at "School House, Benson Road" (later described as "93 Benson Road").

Presumably their children, including their daughter born in 1912 and their son (my grandfather) born in 1915, were also attending the school.

I would also be grateful if anyone can tell me where I mignt be able to find any other photos and papers relating to the history of the school.

Any assistance shall be greatly appreciated!

Hello Diane I worked at Benson J. I for 6 years i would say the school has not change to much. There is photos of benson type in photos of Benson Junior and infants school hockley. B ham. the school house is probably still the same i lived there for 6 years its still got the old cellar the school is still very old in side still has the old tower it has a very large cellar under the school most of the class rooms are of the to halls there are 4 rooms up stairs its a very nice old school if you need any more help please feel free to ask. O there is still the old ladder in side the tower so they could get to the top i will say by for now

Hi Pete

Thank you for the reply and the interesting information.

I will be sure to check for photos.

Best regards

D

hi diane
we did we have some pics on here about three years ago ; but sadl some one took it upon hemselves to remove and nick them for there own personal use
still not to worry some one of our members may have one for you ; my copusins went to benson rd school they was the smarts family boy and girl ; brother and sister and they lived at the church in lodge rd also a guy named barry renolds from the lodge rd by the shop whom is an old friend of mine many years ago
i have not sen or heard of him since 1958 -9 yeas ;
best wishes astonian;;

Hi Diane: A bit more historical info on Benson Road School from the British History online site:

BENSON COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Hockley. Soho Rd. Bd. Sch. opened 1888 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 962 M, I.(1) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Cookery room added 1891.(21) The first class of mentally defective children to be held in a Birm. bd. sch. was opened here 1894, when it comprised 17 children.(23) Name changed 1895 to Benson Rd. Bd. Sch.(1) Accom. for 120 provided 1913–15 in Nineveh Wesleyan Chapel as part of this sch. (sometimes referred to as Benson Rd. Temporary Council Sch.). Reorganized 1930, 1931, 1933 for JM, I.(21) Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 14 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I am putting this here. It possibly warrants its own title but here goes.
It's 49 years ago today that 2 young children Wayne Dandy aged 11, and Katherine Clarke aged 10, lost their lives on the way back from a school day out to Rhyl, 2 July 1971, when the last coach of the train we were travelling on derailed. I was on the train that day aged just 9, so was in a carriage nearer the front.
When I was about 18 I used to see Mr Dandy, Wayne's father in the local social club. Can't believe it will be 50 years next year. My condolences and thoughts are with those friends & relatives should any of them be reading this.
Some details are on Ted Rudge's Winson Green site.

I would be most grateful if anyone can share photos relating to Benson Junior School in the 1920s?

My great-grandfather was apparently school care-taker there at that time. Electoral Rolls for 1922, 1925 and 1927 indicate that he and my great-grandmother were then living at "School House, Benson Road" (later described as "93 Benson Road").

Presumably their children, including their daughter born in 1912 and their son (my grandfather) born in 1915, were also attending the school.

I would also be grateful if anyone can tell me where I mignt be able to find any other photos and papers relating to the history of the school.

Any assistance shall be greatly appreciated!
My mum and brothers and sisters all went to Benson road. My mum was born in 1924 so would’ve been there around 1928/9 onwards. Here’s a photo of me and my brother standing on the old air raid shelter in my mums back yard (Leonard Street) with the school tower behind.

Attachments

• 5283459F-DE3E-4F28-82DE-E8FE0DBFBDCC.jpeg
    5283459F-DE3E-4F28-82DE-E8FE0DBFBDCC.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 6
Back