• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Benson Family

Hi Shera - Thanks for that information, I have sent for the death certificate and will keep my fingers crossed that it is our Ann. Will let you know of the result. Thanks again.
Lionel

Dear Mr Benson

Thank you for your application for a death certificate in respect of Ann
BENSON, March quarter 1840.

I have traced the entry to which you refer, but regret from the information
given by you this does not appear to be the entry you require; as the

Hi Shera - No luck with the death of Ann Benson in 1840, did ask for the certificate only if the husband was James Benson and I received the above reply. The more I think about it the more I go with your thoughts as neither of James jnr or Joseph were with the Father in 1841 census and James jnr old enough to work is there in 1851. I will have a look through and see if there may be a marriage for James and Ann 1840-1841
Best regards
Lionel

hello lionel, im surprised that wasnt the death although there are lots of ann bensons!! the certs dont always have the husbands name on. what was the reason they gave that this did not match?

i had looked for a marriage before but wondered whether he actually got married again or just pretended they did.

i dont know where you can go from here. maybe something will turn up in time :rolleyes:

I have traced the entry to which you refer, but regret from the information
given by you this does not appear to be the entry you require; as the
husband differs.

Hello Shera - The first message did not paste all the information, I did not notice, the reason was that the husband differs. Will have to go back to the drawing board and put plan B into use, I will check other marriage records, have not done so yet, have visitors.
Thanks so much for your interest and help.
Best regards
Lionel

I am also descended from Joseph Benson b. 1835 in Birmingham, married to Lucy Elizabeth Poole. Joseph was my great great grandfather. One of his son's James Richard Benson was my great grandfather.

I think I may have been in contact with you through Genes Reunited, but I am no longer a member.

I am still puzzling over the parents of Joseph Benson - James and Ann. I too found a James Benson born in Middlesex around the same time. The James and Ann in the Census seem more like grandparents age.

I have recently found a James Benson who was born about 1812 and transported in 1834. I just wonder if this could be why there is no trace of Joseph - maybe he was adopted??#

Regards, June

Any help with Benson Family. Joseph Benson born 13 December 1835 at All Saints, Parents James Benson and Ann ? At the time of registration in June 1836 was living in Bradford Street, Birmingham, on 26 December 1856 Joseph married Lucy Elizabeth Poole born 12 February 1833 in Birmingham, Children,
Ann Maria Benson b. 16 March 1857 - married Edward Watterson
Betsy Benson b. 8 November 1858 - married Samuel Burgess
James Richard Benson b. 8 December 1862 - married Alice Mills
Walter Benson b. 12 February 1865 - married Florence A. Boaz
Alice Benson b. 12 August 1866
Christopher Benson b. 9 August 1868 - married Anne Lucas
Joseph Benson b. 19 June 1870
Frederick William Benson b.25 August 1872 - married Emma Isabel Lucas d. 1904 in Birmingham ( my Grandfather )
Albert Edward Benson b. 1875 - married Charlotte Anne Wilmot.
Any help, greatly appreciated
Lionel Benson
Australia
Hello Shera - Yes absolutely, are you able to tell me the address of the Birmingham Registrar, I have printed out the information. You are always one step ahead of me. I can`t thank you enough.
Regards
Lionel
Any help with Benson Family. Joseph Benson born 13 December 1835 at All Saints, Parents James Benson and Ann ? At the time of registration in June 1836 was living in Bradford Street, Birmingham, on 26 December 1856 Joseph married Lucy Elizabeth Poole born 12 February 1833 in Birmingham, Children,
Ann Maria Benson b. 16 March 1857 - married Edward Watterson
Betsy Benson b. 8 November 1858 - married Samuel Burgess
James Richard Benson b. 8 December 1862 - married Alice Mills
Walter Benson b. 12 February 1865 - married Florence A. Boaz
Alice Benson b. 12 August 1866
Christopher Benson b. 9 August 1868 - married Anne Lucas
Joseph Benson b. 19 June 1870
Frederick William Benson b.25 August 1872 - married Emma Isabel Lucas d. 1904 in Birmingham ( my Grandfather )
Albert Edward Benson b. 1875 - married Charlotte Anne Wilmot.
Any help, greatly appreciated
Lionel Benson
Australia
I realise this post was a long time ago but I think we may be related Lionel. My great grandfather was James R Benson, his parents were James and Ann

Back