• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bennetts Paper Shop & Gt Lister st

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Image7_Heneage_St_1945.jpghi there, does anyone know where i could get a photo of my nan & grandad's old shop in Heneage street? They were Pedley's newsagents, i think it was called Pedley's but i am not sure. I would love to see any photographs if possible. Many thanks.

Jackie Pedley.

Here,s a photo unfortunately the shop would be on one of the opposite corners.Dek

GER22VAN

master brummie
Dek I remember the shop. If you could get to the Central Library they may have a photograph under their Heneage street collection . If you contact them then they may search for you.

catmadjax

knowlegable brummie
Dek I remember the shop. If you could get to the Central Library they may have a photograph under their Heneage street collection . If you contact them then they may search for you.

Sorry, which central library? is that the Birmingham Archives? would love a photo of my grandad's old shop :( It was Heneage street i think.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
There used to be quite a few photos of Heneage St on the Gosta Green through Duddeston thread, though none of the shop in question as I remember, I know i have reinstated some photos (still a few to do) but I think quite a few have been put back so it might be worth a look.

Phil

Frances Clarke

Brummie babby
I lived back of 249 Great Lister Street. We were right behind and next to Morgan's the Pawnbroker/shoe shop and next door to Mrs. Bradybury, the sweet shop. Does anyone have any photos of these shops? My grandparents had a coffee shop called "Charlie's Cafe" just across the street and down a bit.

Frances Clarke

Brummie babby
OMG! This brings back such memories! I live in New York now, but am always looking to see photos of my childhood living at b/o 249 Great Lister Street. Am getting all teary-eyed! I guess old age does that to you! Frances

Frances Clarke

Brummie babby
Re: Bennetts the Paper shop

My nan and grandad owned a shop in Great Lister Street. It was a book shop and then became a cafe. The name was Harbone and my grandad used to drive a taxi. My grandad wasn't the most lovable man in the world, but my nan was a treasure. Anyone remember these folks?

GER22VAN

master brummie
Morning all.
I am trying to locate a birth for my great grandfather, mothers side. He is proving to be extremely difficult to pin down despite help from many people from different websites / forums. With what I have so far I am now looking at plotting his movements. I'll then hopefully have an idea of which churches archives to start trawling through. I am also looking to try and find anyone with any photographs of the streets concerned they would be willing to share with me, so I can build a mental picture of his life. I have looked on this thread and a lot of the links are now broken perhaps due to the age of the thread?

The addresses I have for him so far are:
1898 - 28 Weyman Street. Possibly should read Weaman Street, found on his Militia Attestation.
1899 - 11 Cromwell Street. Again from the Militia record.
1900 - 38 New Bartholomew Street. Taken from his marriage cert. Not sure he lived at this address as his wife is noted as living at no. 40. They were married in St Bartholomews Church so may just have been for convenience?
1901 - 65 Duke Street. From the 1901 census
1903 - No.3 bk 41 Ashted Road. Could it be Ashted Row? Taken off his Militia record again
1911 - 12 Rupert Street. From the 1911 Census
1914 to 1919 - 14 Leicester Sq, Gt Lister Street. Taken off his WW1 Service Record.

Most of the records point to a 1881 birth whereas the militia record points to 1883. Potentially I have him from the age of 16 through to 37 living in the same general area. If any one could point me to any photos of the relevant addresses I'd be most grateful

Steve

Leicester Square was also listed on old maps as Lister Square.

Frances Clarke

Brummie babby
Great photo - brings back memories. Wasn't Bannister and Tacher (a chemist) just across from Bennetts? I lived at b/o 249 Great Lister Street, back of Morgan's Pawn Shop. Anybody got a photo of that part of the street?

GER22VAN

master brummie
Great photo - brings back memories. Wasn't Bannister and Tacher (a chemist) just across from Bennetts? I lived at b/o 249 Great Lister Street, back of Morgan's Pawn Shop. Anybody got a photo of that part of the street?

Frances did you know Ada and Jack ?? ( Long since gone ) Yes that was the chemist.By the name of Bannister and Thatcher.