• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bennetts Hill, Waterloo Street

chocks2

master brummie
I noticed on some of the Maps posted by Mikejee in various threads that on the 1810 map around the Cathedaral area both Waterloo St and Bennetts Hill didn't exist but by 1839 both did however on a map of 1500 and something Bennetts hill did exist but literally as a hill and not a road.
Now obviously the Battlle of Waterloo didn't take place untill 1815 so Waterloo Street would not have been constructed untill a later date and Bennetts Hill would have been named after the original hill but when were both streets constructed, were they both constructed at the same time and who was the Bennett that the original hill was named after.

I have a feeling that somewhere I have read that Bennett owned the farm where Bennett's Hill is, but apart from the man who owned the land, not got a clue.

Shortie

According to Chin ("The Streets of Brum") William Bennett was a cooper, and it is possible that the Hill was named after him, but he existed in the 17th century, and so, if we are to believe the map I previously put on, which is supposed to show birmingham in 1553, then this cannot be so. Pym states that in 1820 there was no bennetts hill as the site of where it met new St was occupied by a Rickyard (for coaches & horses). a report of the Birmingham Commisioners states, in 1825, that bennetts hill had only recently been completed. "A Historical and Descriptivesketch of birmingham" (1830) states that recently there had been built two new streets , waterloo St and bennetts hill ("by which name it has long been known").
So it looks as if they were built together, or at least within a couple of years, and that the source of the name Bennett has not been established
Mike

It seems strange that in, the1860s, there was a debate about the position of the old Post Office. It seems odd, as surely many would have remembered it. The old PO was on the corner of Bennett's Hill and New Street. These two views were posted in an earlier post on this thread https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39848

I've added the modern Streetview for comparison. Obviously we can no longer see St. Phillip's due to buildings obscuring the view. The old Post Office looks nothing like a Post Office, the smallest building left of the gates. I presume the gateway would have, not only been a place for mail coach deliveries but would have effectively been Bennett's Hill. The later PO must have been on Bennett's Hill to replace the little on New St/Bennett's Hill and would have been prior to the General PO built on Victoria Sq. in the 1890s. Viv.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think the post office was in the two story building on the left. The lower right hand window under the lamp giving access for stamps and posting I suppose. I think that the small building was a coach house for the hosteller perhaps. Directly behind the painter of the picture would be the Theater Royal. The post office would later be located on the opposite side of New St. in the remains of one wing of the New Royal hotel on the corner of Ethel St. (a photo exists) Later to be demolished for the building of the Colonnade Hotel again lost to demolition. Presumably the post office was at that point located in Victoria Square.
The Sam Lines painting from the St Phillips spire actually ties all of this together viewed from the opposite side of the above posted painting and the coach yard and hut and Theater Royal can be seen together with Portugal House; set back from New St. (became The New Royal). No Waterloo or Bennett's at that point...all farm land, subject to a document stipulating that this should be the case for a number of years. There is a Bennett's Hill in Washwood Heath also but Mr/Ms Bennett is unknown at this point.
Actually Bennett's Hill has some of the finest remaining buildings in Brum.

Thanks Rupert. I was confused by the description given in the first image post #1355 extracted here (hope that's OK Mike I've taken it from your thread here. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39848 ). I think then that the article must mean the "Bennett's Hill" office was referring to the early office in the pencil drawing and the Paul Braddon's colour painting (I.e. corner of New St/ Bennett's Hill and not actually up Bennett's Hill). And I follow that the next PO was sited across the road near the theatre. Remember reading that before.

I think I (wrongly) imagined the early PO to be housed in the smaller building and not within the Georgian house because it sounded much more primitive - see second image from another thread ( New street when it was new.. ). Hopefully I'm now clear about it! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1394467909.960234.jpg
mu3uvude.jpg

There is a mention of a solicitor, Whateley and Son, Bennett’s Hill in 1829.

Dargue says laid out c1820, so this pushes the date back at least a year.

The venerable William Hutton died in October 1815 at his house in Bennett’s Hill, near Birmingham.

I helped to carve this on a building in Bennetts Hill in the 1950s when working for Bill Bloye the sculptor

Attachments

• 1653374_10204692438247851_7652944233115566824_n.jpg
    1653374_10204692438247851_7652944233115566824_n.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 28
In 1909 this catering company, Lisseter and Miller was based in Bennett’s Hill. The article below especially mentions it serving a ‘floating population’. Not entirely sure what they mean. Are they referring to people passing through Birmingham, ie not resident, or something else ? Viv.

C0A78816-EDE6-4F19-801E-03201292C535.jpeg

Attachments

• 5A8B4F0C-F34A-4000-8F9A-790D97AD3EEA.jpeg
    5A8B4F0C-F34A-4000-8F9A-790D97AD3EEA.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 10
  • AEAB08D7-F284-458D-B108-E2FA913EF33A.jpeg
    AEAB08D7-F284-458D-B108-E2FA913EF33A.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 9
In 1909 this catering company, Lisseter and Miller was based in Bennett’s Hill. The article below especially mentions it serving a ‘floating population’. Not entirely sure what they mean. Are they referring to people passing through Birmingham, ie not resident, or something else ? Viv.

View attachment 140908
My mother-in-law was a Lisseter. This Lisseter is a distant relative. Thx for posting

It was Samuel Lisseter who married Tryphena Sarah Neville Miller

Last edited:
Back