• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bennett Family - Nechells

J

Jakaan1

Hello

I was wondering if anyone out there (hopefully some long lost family) would remember any of my relatives from the mid fifties to mid sixties (I was born in 1951).

My father was William Henry Bennett (aka Harry, married to Brenda nee Weaver). My grandmother was Ellen Bennett who lived in Mount Street (number 53 from memory).

Dad was one of eight children (3 boys, 5 girls) I think. His two brothers were Norman and Ted. I can remember my Aunts Rene, Pearl, Dolly, Hilda and Cissy (Cicely I think) but I'm not sure that my memory is wholly accurate.

I had loads of cousins that I never saw much but I do remember Johnny Harris and I think Trevor.

My Dad had a bootmenders shop in Nechells Park Road (close to the railway bridge) for a while then we moved to Bloomsbury Street (340 right next door to the Beehive Pub) where my Mom had a baby millinery shop until around 1963.

We were shipped out to Acocks Green around 1965.

I have one brother Martin and two sisters, Carol and Susan.

My maternal grandparents (Albert and Marie Weaver) lived in Nechells Place.

I went to Cromwell Street school from around 1955 to 1963.

Would love to hear from anyone that might have some memories/photographs etc of my family or locations.

Thank you.

hi i have bennett family from brum..there may be a connection...?

do you have any names/dates of birth of recent ancesters...your grandads/his parents/siblings?

thanks sam x

i have bennett family, my grandad was Charles Bennett, his first wife was Elsie May Powell and his second wife Ivy Lewis, Garrison Lane/Aston areas

Hi,
Just type in beehive pub in the search box top right, I 've posted pics, also the same for Bloomsbury st. the Beehive was my dad's local, I'd left Cromwell St. school by 1951.
Regards John.

Hello Jakaan,
My wife was born in the house at '53 Mount st. and we have quite a comprehensive list of the Bennett's with date.
Would apprciate it if you contact me so that we may share info on Mount St..
Best regards........ john

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

I was wondering if anyone out there (hopefully some long lost family) would remember any of my relatives from the mid fifties to mid sixties (I was born in 1951).

My father was William Henry Bennett (aka Harry, married to Brenda nee Weaver). My grandmother was Ellen Bennett who lived in Mount Street (number 53 from memory).

Dad was one of eight children (3 boys, 5 girls) I think. His two brothers were Norman and Ted. I can remember my Aunts Rene, Pearl, Dolly, Hilda and Cissy (Cicely I think) but I'm not sure that my memory is wholly accurate.

I had loads of cousins that I never saw much but I do remember Johnny Harris and I think Trevor.

My Dad had a bootmenders shop in Nechells Park Road (close to the railway bridge) for a while then we moved to Bloomsbury Street (340 right next door to the Beehive Pub) where my Mom had a baby millinery shop until around 1963.

Would love to hear from anyone that might have some memories/photographs etc of my family or locations.

Thank you.
Hello Jakann1
My name is Dawn I was known as Dawn Hancox my nan was Rene I knew your father and Uncle Norman and Uncle Teddy spent a lot of time with my dad who was Rene's son John Edward Hancox when he married my mother Beatrice on June 4th 1960 fir a couple if years when they had me and my sister Debbie we were living at 53 Mount Street and my mother looked after great mother Ellen I was only a baby so for not remember her but I remember my nan's brother's I remember the names of her sisters Dolly Pearly Cissy and Hilda my father always spoke about Harry and Hilda. I don't remember Rene's first husband would of been my grandad I only remember Frederick Davis who fathered Rene's other children Roy Judy Yvonne and Colin they are all gone now including my father he passed away on the 21st June 2016 is missed I do not know about uncle Ted I remember his wife Dore their three sons Trevor. Robert and Lloyd they lived in Tamworth the last time I saw them were in the late 1980's if you want to get in touch message here I can tell you a lot and so can my mom and she has a great memory

Hello Jakaan,
My wife was born in the house at '53 Mount st. and we have quite a comprehensive list of the Bennett's with date.
Would apprciate it if you contact me so that we may share info on Mount St..

Best regards........ john
Hi I have just messaged Jakaan1 only just come on here my father was Rene Bennett's son John when I was a baby my mother and father looked Ellen Bennett when Uncle Norman lived there too so if you want to contact me here please feel free I would like to know if you have any thing on my great grandfather Bennett I was told he was a postman but I have no first name for him please reply

Hello

Thank you.
Hello

Thank you.

Hi, Another Bennett family from Brum. I have gone back to 1771 in my family history so some of us could be connected. My ancesters came from Radford Semele in Warwickshire. My Grandfather moved to Birmingham in the late 1800s. I have just followed the male line, so children from each generation disperse in all directions. One never knows!!!

Hi, Another Bennett family from Brum. I have gone back to 1771 in my family history so some of us could be connected. My ancesters came from Radford Semele in Warwickshire. My Grandfather moved to Birmingham in the late 1800s. I have just followed the male line, so children from each generation disperse in all directions. One never knows!!!
Hi Geff
You never know we may all be related I don't know my great grandfather's name just his wife name she was Ellen Bennett if you can find anything out I would be really interested thank you

Hi all,
My Grandmother was Edith (Ada) Bennett,born 1890 , died 1966 ,lived in Garrison street until 1939/40 then moved to Latelow road south Yardley , married Ben Wattis in 1910 , thats all i know about that side of the family so fingers crossed we might be able to tie up a few loose ends.

Hi my great grandfather was Thomas Bennett and I found him in 1912 in Mount street. Nechells any help

Hi,
I have my gran , Ada E Bennett (stepdaughter) 13 & William Bennett (stepson) 11 , living at 43 Arthur street in 1891 but as i say i have only recently started looking at that side the family( & the dates dont add up )

I bought my first house off a Bennett family back in 1956 in Birdbrook Road Great Barr, a wife and daughter if I recall correctly, the husband was said to be a baddy, a burglar and he wasn't around at the time.

Hello

Thank you.
I would be your second cousin as my dad would of been your cousin I have sent you a message through this forum but you never answer Irene had 3 sons and 2 daughters my dad was her eldest son and had 1 son and 4 daughters his next brother had 1 son and 1 daughter his one sister had 1 son and 1 daughter and his younger sister had 3 sons if you contact me I can tell you more

Hello Dawn. The person who's post you are replying to is shown as a guest which means they are no longer a member. It is also advisable to remove you're email address as you could end up with unwanted emails.

My grand father was Philip George Bennett, born 1897 and lived at 78 SilverStreet, King's Heath, with his father William Bennett and mother, Ellen (nee Damms). According to the 1911 census he was 13 years of age, his father being a Boot Maker & Dealer. Philip eventually married my grandmother Emma Byfield, after W.W1 and migrated here , Australia Approx. 1923.Thankyou.

Adding to my Bennett family in Birmingham is Francis Alfred Bennett born 1903, also lived in 78 Silver St, King's Heath, according to 1911 census, brother of my Grandfather, Philip. Francis's Marriage certificate shows he married Marjorie Nellie Dangerfield, age 29, 12th. September 1936 both living at 162 Edward Rd. Married at Established Church, St. Thomas in the Moors. Francis's rank/profession being noted as Tea Merchant? and Marjorie a Cashier. Happy to hear from any rellies, Thankyou from Down- under.
blessed.

Hello

Thank you.
Hello

Thank you.
Hello Jakann1
My name is Dawn I was known as Dawn Hancox my nan was Rene I knew your father and Uncle Norman and Uncle Teddy spent a lot of time with my dad who was Rene's son John Edward Hancox when he married my mother Beatrice on June 4th 1960 fir a couple if years when they had me and my sister Debbie we were living at 53 Mount Street and my mother looked after great mother Ellen I was only a baby so for not remember her but I remember my nan's brother's I remember the names of her sisters Dolly Pearly Cissy and Hilda my father always spoke about Harry and Hilda. I don't remember Rene's first husband would of been my grandad I only remember Frederick Davis who fathered Rene's other children Roy Judy Yvonne and Colin they are all gone now including my father he passed away on the 21st June 2016 is missed I do not know about uncle Ted I remember his wife Dore their three sons Trevor. Robert and Lloyd they lived in Tamworth the last time I saw them were in the late 1980's if you want to get in touch message here I can tell you a lot and so can my mom and she has a great memory

Hello Dawn,
My name is Bryan and I am probably your oldest living relative.

My mom was Cis Bennett your nans sister. Your dad was my cousin. Johnny Hancox . Jakaan is my cousin though I have no means of contacting. I would love to meet you and tell you all about your family. we all lost touch so many years ago when we were separated by army service and marriages etc. The last one I saw was probably your auntie Bonnie around 1970. I have lived in Lichfield for nearly 40 years, but I have a very sharp mind and remember everything.
If you can, get in touch.
Bryan.

Adding to my Bennett family in Birmingham is Francis Alfred Bennett born 1903, also lived in 78 Silver St, King's Heath, according to 1911 census, brother of my Grandfather, Philip. Francis's Marriage certificate shows he married Marjorie Nellie Dangerfield, age 29, 12th. September 1936 both living at 162 Edward Rd. Married at Established Church, St. Thomas in the Moors. Francis's rank/profession being noted as Tea Merchant? and Marjorie a Cashier. Happy to hear from any rellies, Thankyou from Down- under.
blessed.

Back