• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BENNETT, BYFIELD, WEST , CLARKE, HOLLAND, DAMMS

Hi mate, I have a few friends in Oz, some ex Para mates but mainly they’re in my curry club. One of then is an helicopter engineer who builds small boats, has his own brewery in his garage and is my curry club secretary, I thinks he’s in Melbourne, another is ex RAEME who was attached to us in the UK and now a school teacher. I’ll have a dig around on the family trace as I have established a good network after 20 years doing Genealogy, I support two veteran agencies gratis as a researcher as we remember a veteran every single day of the year from the last 110 years. You can catch me on You Tube doing a few songs, one of those is called “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda”. Also my podcast about my PTSD meltdown. On a final relevant note, Rea St school was my first school. Take care buddy. Lonnie.
G'day Lonnie, there were many ex-Brit- Military guys whom served with my regiment S.A.S.R in and many other arms of the Australian Defence Forces, as you know, over the years in South Vietnam and recent middle- east 'theatres', as I still keep in touch through my Association, whom meet once a month here in Perth, Western Australia. As I am from Victoria, over east originally, have lived in Perth and like a lot of guys whom served with the Regiment, met and married local Perth girls. Will be looking for you on You Tube, as I use that service often since starting to learn the ukulele, six moths ago, starting from the Concert uke, now the Tenor, which I am coming to terms with, obviously because of the larger frets. As you had gone to Rea St. school certainly in the area of interest where my families would have no doubt knocked about. Cheers for now. Lindsay Bennett.

Hi mate, I have a few friends in Oz, some ex Para mates but mainly they’re in my curry club. One of then is an helicopter engineer who builds small boats, has his own brewery in his garage and is my curry club secretary, I thinks he’s in Melbourne, another is ex RAEME who was attached to us in the UK and now a school teacher. I’ll have a dig around on the family trace as I have established a good network after 20 years doing Genealogy, I support two veteran agencies gratis as a researcher as we remember a veteran every single day of the year from the last 110 years. You can catch me on You Tube doing a few songs, one of those is called “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda”. Also my podcast about my PTSD meltdown. On a final relevant note, Rea St school was my first school. Take care buddy. Lonnie.
Hey! Lonnie, have a merry Christmas and of course, all the best for 2023. Thanks also for the info on the Byfield brothers, I can be quietly confident that they are my relations, have neglected family ancestory lately, while trying to get this damn strumming (ukulele) somewhere near decent has taken a toll on time, but look up B.H.F every day. Have a good one and will catch ya' on u-tube again. Lindsay Bennett.

Hi

I have Bennett's in my family tree from Birmingham. My Nan was a Bennett on her Dads side, are you still looking for information

Hi NickieJ: Yes! I am still looking for any info. regarding my Bennett side of the family, haven't had much luck though over the years, since I joined B.H.F over a decade ago, still hanging in there though, hoping for a bit of luck as I know Bennett is a fairly common name. Thankyou, have a nice 2023. Lindsay Bennett.

I have Bennett's in my family tree from Birmingham. My Nan was a Bennett on her Dads side, are you still looking for information

Hi
Only just run across this. My maternal grandmother was a Clarke, and her family came from Northamptonshire; they were originally travellers, and were related to the Irish Boswells. My late mother-in-law was a Bennett, of Wolverhampton origin, but I don't know much more than that. I was at junior school (Loxton St) with a Margaret Byfield, but have had no contact with her or her family since 1957........ Not much practical help, I'm afraid!

Hi
Only just run across this. My maternal grandmother was a Clarke, and her family came from Northamptonshire; they were originally travellers, and were related to the Irish Boswells. My late mother-in-law was a Bennett, of Wolverhampton origin, but I don't know much more than that. I was at junior school (Loxton St) with a Margaret Byfield, but have had no contact with her or her family since 1957........ Not much practical help, I'm afraid!
Thanks! anyway Graham S: it is an on- going interest to see whether any Birmingham relations happen to reply as I have posted as much info. about the Bennett, Byfield, Damms, Clark families of which I know. Cheers!

I am looking for a Clarke family who lived in sparkhill 1974 shakespear street . Siblings John Kathleen Mary Maureen , in their 20s, attended Mt pleasant school

Who do you have on the Bennett side give me some where to start what area did they live where were they originally from

I am looking for a Clarke family who lived in sparkhill 1974 shakespear street . Siblings John Kathleen Mary Maureen , in their 20s, attended Mt pleasant school

Clarke is not an easy name to trace with certainty, so it may be a case of one of them or a relative actually seeing your post.

I've found their birth registrations (I think) John F 1951, Kathleen 1953, Mary 1956 and Maureen 1961 and these appear to be the children of a John Clarke and an Ann Curry. Ann was previously married to a John Dodd and possibly had 2 further daughters, Ann & Joan.

Clarke is not an easy name to trace with certainty, so it may be a case of one of them or a relative actually seeing your post.

I've found their birth registrations (I think) John F 1951, Kathleen 1953, Mary 1956 and Maureen 1961 and these appear to be the children of a John Clarke and an Ann Curry. Ann was previously married to a John Dodd and possibly had 2 further daughters, Ann & Joan.
Yes that is them! I wasn't sure to include the step sisters Ann and Joan as I wasn't sure of the timeline. Where have you found this please? They lived at 38 Shakespeare street sparkhill I believe

The births and marriages were just from freebmd with the 1939 register on findmypast (also on Ancestry) gave the clue that Ann was previously married.

The ERs only go up to 1965 online and they don't appear to be at that address then.

Thank you having had a look I don't think Florence is her mother as they have similar dates of birth so maybe a sister x
Were you able to find then listed at shakespear street at all?

I'm not sure what Ancestry shows but on findmypast, there are 3 women - Florence, the widow of Alexander Curry, her sister in law, Ann Curry and Alexander & Florence's daughter, Ann Curry b1918.

And a strange coincidence in regards 38 Shakespeare St.

Listed there on the ERs up until 1965 are a William & Rosa Bruce. The coincidence is it appears that on the 1911 census William's cousin, a Nellie Bruce, is a boarder of James Curry, the grandfather of Ann Curry and great grandfather of your 4 Clarke siblings.

You people are so very generous in the help towards finding my families in Birmingham, I am gradually attempting to make sense of the information. It is so very interesting to me to gather this info. from people that actually live in the city/surrounding areas that my ancestors and present-day living relations live or have done in recent times. I consider you all friends that obviously enjoy donating your time in helping persons as myself. Very much appreciated and bless you. Yours Sincerely, Lindsay William Bennett.

Hello,
I was born in Birmingham in 1961. I don't have a lot of family history available, however, my grandmother's name was Byfield. Miss E M Byfield, who married my Grandfather Mr J Freeman. They lived happily for many years in Kingstanding. My mother and father moved to Dorset when I was 11 yrs of age. My grandmothers' father was killed in the war and her mother remarried.
Good luck with your search. Best wishes J.

Thankyou wonderfulmemories for that interesting information, there is a chance your grandmother is related to mine. I will have to try piecing it all together and see if your grandmother is one of my Greatgrandfather's sibling's children., Arthur Byfield's /brother's /children. Sounds a bit complicated I know, but my Grandmother Emma Elizabeth Byfield was an only child but her father's brothers had many children and I think that is where your Grandmother would fit in. Thankyou very much for that information, we will probably match up somewhere, I will do my best and get back to you. Lindsay William Bennett.

And a strange coincidence in regards 38 Shakespeare St.

Listed there on the ERs up until 1965 are a William & Rosa Bruce. The coincidence is it appears that on the 1911 census William's cousin, a Nellie Bruce, is a boarder of James Curry, the grandfather of Ann Curry and great grandfather of your 4 Clarke siblings.
Very interesting! Thank you so much. A lot seems to have come up for her father Alexander and her uncle James, but herself her husband and children seem very off the grid

Very interesting! Thank you so much. A lot seems to have come up for her father Alexander and her uncle James, but herself her husband and children seem very off the grid
Where do you access the ERs I'm really struggling with it ? Can only seem to access 1911

Some years erolls are on Ancestry - roughly every 5 years so 1920, 30, 35, 39
45 etc but stops at 1965. Not all those years for all wards.
Don't forget women did not usually appear until the 1925 eroll. Also, obviously, no children on them. This makes tracking children harder.
Don't forget 1911 is the last census unless you subscribe to FMP and access 1921 (or pay per view) then the 1939 register.

Where do you access the ERs I'm really struggling with it ? Can only seem to access 1911

I search the ERs on Ancestry. They only have selected years, about every 5 years or so, and as mentioned only go up to 1965.

There isn't going to be lot available, censuses are available up to 1921 and church records about the same so there 2 of the main sources gone. It will be similar for most people born after 1911.

Thankyou wonderfulmemories for that interesting information, there is a chance your grandmother is related to mine. I will have to try piecing it all together and see if your grandmother is one of my Greatgrandfather's sibling's children., Arthur Byfield's /brother's /children. Sounds a bit complicated I know, but my Grandmother Emma Elizabeth Byfield was an only child but her father's brothers had many children and I think that is where your Grandmother would fit in. Thankyou very much for that information, we will probably match up somewhere, I will do my best and get back to you. Lindsay William Bennett.
Hi Lindsay, thank you for the lovely message. My grandmother has now passed but it would be lovely to receive news of her family. Good luck & I look forward to hearing from you again. Best wishes Jacqueline.

So happy to have obtained an old photo of my Grandmother, then, Emma Eliza Byfield, wearing an army uniform during W.W1, sitting along another lady/ young woman dressed the same, with a couple of folk standing behind her. Apparently it was considered good luck to put on the uniform of a loved one prior to the soldier leaving for the front. The good thing is that it worked as she married my Grandfather, Philip George Bennett, after hostilities, prior to emigrating to Australia in 1920 from Birmingham with my 6 month old father George william Bennett. The photo is reasonably clear, considering that it would be approx. 107 years old with it having gone brownish colour, requiring a colour restoration. Any more information out there from the Bennett, Byfield, Damms, West, relatives. Thankyou. Lindsay William Bennett.

Back