• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Benchmarks of Birmingham and nearby

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I’ve found these two; one at Snow Hill, the other at the Old Bill and Bull pub (formerly the Hay Mills Police Station). Photos from the Geograph site. Are there others in the area ? And presumably they’re marked on OS maps. Viv

BD4E3124-EFCC-4A77-A9A5-D4992541EF43.jpeg2AA90932-9C8D-48CC-A95A-F3F3170D5B20.jpeg

Someone gave me a Godfrey map last week for Central Birmingham 1888. There are lots of BMs all over. I wonder how they were dealt with after the war and all the redevelopment that has and is taking place?

This one is outside St Mary’s Church in Ward End. It seems to be more detailed than that in post #1. What would the purpose be of the other markings ? Viv.2C99C1D9-90C8-419A-9871-58FD831582F9.jpeg

Attachments

• F4240D05-401A-4501-9064-616838AEA14A.jpeg
    F4240D05-401A-4501-9064-616838AEA14A.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 6
This one is outside St Mary’s Church in Ward End. It seems to be more detailed than that in post #1. What would the purpose be of the other markings ? Viv.View attachment 174605
The symbol of the crown indicates crown property, some benchmarks can be quite ornate mostly of cast iron , also find them ( if the levels allow) on stone mile markers on roads , the old GPO stone utility markers.
There is a Facebook site that is for Benchmarks.

A long way from Brum, Dulverton, Exmoor. A GPO Bench Mark?
I don’t think it is a benchmark. I am sure one of the ex-GPO people will possibly correct me, but I understand this is a GPO underground cable or joint or junction marker. They were quite common in Birmingham, but I assume are not longer used. The arrow is a government mark od ownership.

I don’t think it is a benchmark. I am sure one of the ex-GPO people will possibly correct me, but I understand this is a GPO underground cable or joint or junction marker. They were quite common in Birmingham, but I assume are not longer used. The arrow is a government mark od ownership.
The broad arrow or Pheon commonly known as a 'Crows Foot' was used extensively to identify Government property, the most earliest and common use for the broad arrow was on the prisoners in jails or transported to Australia .

Is that also the case for the one in post #9, it looks similar to the one in post #15 ? Viv.

Is that also the case for the one in post #9, it looks similar to the one in post #15 ? Viv.
Yes, the broad arrow shows it it government property, the original broad arrow symbol came from the British military to indicate their ownership of an asset . Where the Bench Mark / Datum has the horizontal bar as a datum point for setting out , surveying, etc.
Note - The Public Stores Act of 1875 lists the symbol, it is a a criminal offence in the United Kingdom to reproduce the broad arrow without authority.
That’s all I have got , back to my painting (glossing) the door frames today .

Back