• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Benbow & Sons Coal Merchants Birmingham

nicktamarensis

Hello.
I'm looking for some info on the above firm who had quite a few members of the family involved in the coal trade. If possible I would like to know where they operated their railway business from in Birmingham and how long it lasted for. I have various census info on the founder of the company, George, who in 1901 was aged 59, a coal merchant and living in Aston, Birmingham. The census also has Alfred, 34, a coal carter; Albert, 32, coal wharf manager; Arthur, 30, carter, coal merchants; Ambrose (possibly Ambrose George), 24, coal carter; Thomas, 20 coal carter. Any info known about this company would be greatly appreciated. A photo of one of the railway wagons built for the firm by Birmingham RCW in 1911 is attached
Many thanks.
Nick.

Attachments

• 4. Wagon. G. Benbow & Sons..jpg
    4. Wagon. G. Benbow & Sons..jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Thanks John. Much appreciated. There was also an Amos Benbow who had coal railway wagons listed to him. Must have been a family connection there as well.
Nick

You may already know this:
The above named George was married to Amelia who died in 1918 at the same address probate was granted to Albert a coal merchant.
George is on the 1901 census with Amelia as 21 Ash Road - sons listed are; George, James, Tom and Fred.
In 1891 they are at 25 Rupert Street and have sons listed as; Alfred, Albert, Arthur, Amos, George, William, Thomas, James and Fred plus daughters Ada and Mary.
When George married Amelia he gave his occupation as maltster

Attachments

• 1633354538153.png
    1633354538153.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 7
Some of this already mentioned.
There was a George Benbow, haulier listed in Kellys from 1895 till 1904. Possibly him or his father ?
Benbow & sons were listed in Kellys in 1904 as coal merchants , Bordesley Green road. The position would correspond to the red area of sidings marked on the map. There was also another coal firm listed there.

map c1904. Position of George Benbows depot.jpg

In the 1908 Kellys they are listed as at 57 Erskin St, and remain there till at least 1921. they have disappeared by 1932, though , as previously stated, Arthur Benbow is at Ralph Road. In 1908 there is no mention of them , or the other coak merchant at Bordesley Green road. The Erskin road site is approximately marked in blue on the map below. It is not clear how large the yard stretched

map c191 erskin st showing Benbow & sons yard.jpg

Hello.
I'm looking for some info on the above firm who had quite a few members of the family involved in the coal trade. If possible I would like to know where they operated their railway business from in Birmingham and how long it lasted for. I have various census info on the founder of the company, George, who in 1901 was aged 59, a coal merchant and living in Aston, Birmingham. The census also has Alfred, 34, a coal carter; Albert, 32, coal wharf manager; Arthur, 30, carter, coal merchants; Ambrose (possibly Ambrose George), 24, coal carter; Thomas, 20 coal carter. Any info known about this company would be greatly appreciated. A photo of one of the railway wagons built for the firm by Birmingham RCW in 1911 is attached
Many thanks.
Nick.

Is the picture of a model carriage ?

Hello.
Many thanks.
Nick.
We lived in Imperial road and Benbow's delivered our coal, and coke (the stuff you burn) in the 40s & 50s.

Ernie

Back