• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Benacre Street

KJSScott

knowlegable brummie
I have found out that my Grand Mothers side of the family came from Ireland to Birmingham in about 1849. But I cannot find the streets they lived in on any current map. They lived in Norfolk Street in 1851 and Benacre Street in 1861 and 1871. I can only assume that these Streets diappeared in the slum clearances, can anyone throw any light on this please.

Here's Benacre Street from a 1954 atlas, it's halfway down on the right off Bristol Street. Can't find a Norfolk STREET.

map_1839_around_norfolk_st.jpg
Norfolk street disappeared under the Midland railwat goods depot on Suffolk st. Its position is shown on the 1839 map below
Mike

Thanks you both for the information, its all coming in to place now. My Grandfather and Grandmother both lived in Ashley street when they got married in 1913, different houses of course. Benacre Street was the next street up off Bristol Street, when they married they lived in Vere street which ran off Benacre Street. My Grandmothers Grandfather came over from Ireland in about 1849 and lived in Norfolk Street in 1851 then moved to Benacre Street by 1861. Looks like nobody moved to far in those days.

By the way David can you please check the date of your map with Benacre Street on, as I was told Ashley Street was distroyed by a German Landmine in 1941.

Many Thanks
Kevin

Hi Kevin, my atlas is a John Bartholomew one dated 1954. It doesn't give the date it was actually surveyed.

Many of the houses in the street were destroyed, but the church at the end on the Bristol rd and some buildings at that end on the opposite side to the church did survive.There is a picture which the forum determined was Ashley st in 1944 which shows this at:
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22263
Anyway , even if buildings were destroyed, it did not destroy the street, it took the demolitions of the 60s to do that in many cases
mike

I thought you might like to see some photo's of the Benacre St Area. My family on my fathers side used to live in Benacre St in the early 1900's as far as I am aware.

Phil

Attachments

• Highgate Benacre St.jpg
    Highgate Benacre St.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Highgate Benacre St-Gooch St 1965.jpg
    Highgate Benacre St-Gooch St 1965.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Highgate Benacre Street 1951.jpg
    Highgate Benacre Street 1951.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Highgate Benacre Street.jpg
    Highgate Benacre Street.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 125
My great grandmother Leah Poulson( DIED there 1918 of spanish flu), my nan Florence poulson(BORN there 1912) and my great great grandmother Amelia Bradford ( later Stokes) all lived on Benacre street at the beginning of the 1900's.

I am so pleased I have found this forum as so many threads of my family seem to have lived in Benacre Street and I had been unable to locate it.

i can add these photos

lyn

Anchor in. Benacre St..jpgBalsall Heath Benacre St Anchor Inn.jpg

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Benacre St Ladies School.jpg
    Balsall Heath Benacre St Ladies School.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Balsall Heath Benacre St 1966.JPG
    Balsall Heath Benacre St 1966.JPG
    791.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Highgate Benacre Street 2.jpg
    Highgate Benacre Street 2.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the photos - they do look grim, don't they? At the time my mother was born in 1923 she had five siblings - she was the youngest. She never spoke about her upbringing at all. I've pieced all this together from Census and Certificates.

Hello all, first time posting here. I am researching my ancestry and found my great grandfather Alfred Walter Waight lived at 82 Benacre Street in 1909, it's either 9 back, or 9 flat 82 Benacre Street and he married Elsie Scott, it would be great if anybody remembers the names at all or any stories or pictures :)

Back-to-back houses in Benacre Street, photographed in 1965. In Court 14 (right) both the two- and three-storey versions can be seen. At some stage the ground-floor accommodation was improved by converting the tunnel entries into doorways and hall passages, with an additional window being inserted where the old door had been. Benacre Street, which has now disappeared altogether, was situated between Bristol Street and Sherlock Street, and was almost entirely lined with back-to- back courts.

The making of Victorian Birmingham by Skipp, Victor (1983)

E6510300-0134-4CB5-A8EC-09511AF2FF27.jpeg

Hello all, first time posting here. I am researching my ancestry and found my great grandfather Alfred Walter Waight lived at 82 Benacre Street in 1909, it's either 9 back, or 9 flat 82 Benacre Street and he married Elsie Scott, it would be great if anybody remembers the names at all or any stories or pictures :)
Hi - looks like they were neighnojrs with my great great grandparents, who were at number 80 in 1909!

First time posting for me, too.
My grandparents Ernest Bevan Hudson and Alice Wigley lived at 4 back 57 Benacre Street from just before the First World War. They had at least seven children, five of which survived into adulthood. My father was born in January 1919. My grandfather died in 1927 and I am unsure whether the family were still living in Benacre Street.

hi hudlines...you most likely know this but ernest married alice in 1912 birmingham...very sad he died so young at 32

lyn

Thanks for the photos - they do look grim, don't they? At the time my mother was born in 1923 she had five siblings - she was the youngest. She never spoke about her upbringing at all. I've pieced all this together from Census and Certificates.
Hi cousin! I've posted details for you about the Palmers at 9/50 Benacre, 1921 - 1925, in the surname section of the forum; thread title is "Palmer family 9/50 Benacre Street." Harry (Henry William), the eldest of the children, is my half cousin.

Plan of part of Benace Street attach showing no.50
This is fantastic, thanks! - I have family that were at 9/50 Benacre.

I have a couple of questions -

First - which is 9/50? Nos. 1 - 6 are at the back of 55 - 60, but it looks like 49 - 53 are full front - back houses, so is No. 9 the one in the yard opposite?

Second - I can find streets OK on the 25" OS maps on the Nat'l library of Scotland site, but for street numbers, I was using a 1950s plan on a different site - now defunct. Do you have a link you can share to the plans that you are posting - they're exactly what I'm looking for!

Below is the map from the 1880s where all the houses are present. As Lyn says, it looks like 8 & 9 were damaged by bombs. I have marked the numbering

map 1880 showing 9 back 50 benacre st.jpg

Thanks! Yes, the word "ruin" doesn't look too hopeful. This is the map set I was thinking of, I've used it for other locations, Sherbourne Rd., Leopold St., but I can't access the site any longer.

thanks mike just looked at the BARRA site and there was injuries at 8/78 ..the roebuck inn and 4/116 so if numbers 8 and 9 were hit it thankfully it looks like no casulalties

lyn

Back