• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Benacre Street

Excuse my ignorance Lynn but what is the Barra site looks interesting
hi johnny its the birmingham air raids rememberance association..if you use their data base section you can search for injuries and deaths caused by ww2 bombings..it also gives names and addresses..click on the link below

lyn

My great grandmother Leah Poulson( DIED there 1918 of spanish flu), my nan Florence poulson(BORN there 1912) and my great great grandmother Amelia Bradford ( later Stokes) all lived on Benacre street at the beginning of the 1900's.
Hi Kalli, last year I was in touch with Susan's daughter (below) in reference to the Palmers in Benacre St., and completely missed your post about the Poulsons. Leah Poulson (nee Bradford) & Joseph Poulson were my great uncle & aunt, and after Leah died Joseph (& Bertie) lodged with my grandparents in Sherbourne Rd. If you see this post, feel free to PM me and I can also move this to a Poulson thread in the families section.

Some other plans of different bits of Benace and surrounding streets
Hi - these plans are VERY informative - would you have any plans for nearby 26 Sherbourne Rd? Is there a site where these can be viewed?
Thanks!
Chris

Last edited:
Mort. All the British library sites are down because of a ransom attack . I gather for an indefinite period. I am pretty sure that these maps , which I agree look like insurance maps, are not included in those that were online. I assume that they were acquired by the poster direct from the BL.
The wikipedia commons site I think is only those which were from the B L

Interested in seeing reference to both nos 82 and No 80. Maybe relations with me ??? My Great Great Grandfather lived at No 80 Benacre Street in 1841 - His name was John Ault. John was born in the Pershore area as an agricultural labourer. The Irish Potato famine destroyed his plums, so he walked to Birmingham with belongings (3 days apparently) in 1858 / 59 - bounced around Birmingham a little in various metal trades and saw his days out in Gooch Street .... fascinating commonality of family histories, not quite family but touching each other

Member “Southside” has not been on the forum since Nov 2020 so may not respond to your enquiry. The maps shown look like Fire Insurance maps and Plans. There was a website with these all on, but it does not seem to be working anymore.

Here: http://gallery.bl.uk/viewall/default.aspx?e=Fire insurance maps and plans West Midlands&n=1&r=10

Found some for Birmingham here on Wiki media Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Goad_fire_insurance_maps_of_Birmingham
Thanks for the link - these are great for the city centre.

Hi Mike, I see a John Ault in Sherlock St. in 1861, and then at 40 Benacre St. in 1871 - is this your line?

Hi Mike, I see a John Ault in Sherlock St. in 1861, and then at 40 Benacre St. in 1871 - is this your line?
Interestingly there is a John Ault in the 1861 and 1862 Directories (but this was publication date and when survey was carried out is doubtful) as a hair pin and fancy box maker at 175 Sherlock St .In 1867 he is not listed , but in 1868 and 1872 he is a hair knitting pin maker at 165 Gooch St. He reappears in 1873 as at Gooch st, hair pin maker but living at 41 Benacre St. In 1876 there is a john Ault jr , hairpin maker at 15 Barford St south, and a John Ault ,pocket book maker, 25½ Horse fair & 14 Upper Ryland road .I would think the last is probably a different guy

Interestingly there is a John Ault in the 1861 and 1862 Directories (but this was publication date and when survey was carried out is doubtful) as a hair pin and fancy box maker at 175 Sherlock St .In 1867 he is not listed , but in 1868 and 1872 he is a hair knitting pin maker at 165 Gooch St. He reappears in 1873 as at Gooch st, hair pin maker but living at 41 Benacre St. In 1876 there is a john Ault jr , hairpin maker at 15 Barford St south, and a John Ault ,pocket book maker, 25½ Horse fair & 14 Upper Ryland road .I would think the last is probably a different guy
Yes, the 1st 2 are father and son, John Jr age 16 in 1861 and 26 in 1871, both hairpin makers. In 1881, John Jr is shown as a tin maker at 15 Barford St South; in 1911 he's at 76 Leopold St., just up from where my mum was born. With no home ownership and living from payday to payday, it still never ceases to amaze me the extent to which families moved back in the day, looking for rooms according to the size the family had grown to and number of wage earners they had. I'm guessing that the average move would well less than a mile, so faces in the streets would still be familiar, even if they changed their local.

I lived in in hope street in 50s and early 60s, I rember maud matthews, lived top of hope street left hand side, she knew my family, I lived middle of hope street big bay windows painted green think it was an old shop, our name was Walsh, middle of Hope street was the coal yard ,far end towards Gooch street was less trows scrape yard then the star pub, .Good old days.

hi hudlines...you most likely know this but ernest married alice in 1912 birmingham...very sad he died so young at 32

lyn
How do you know that information? It would make my grandfather Ernest 17 and I believe my grandmother Alice could have been 27 (born in 1885?). Can you help with those details please?

Back